Star Trek

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Star Trek - May 06, 2009 10:07
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

Might as well make a new thread.  You fuck faces better go see this shit.

Early Impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM&feature=channel_page
<message edited by Agent Ghost on May 06, 2009 10:12>
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Edwin
  • Total Posts : 658
  • Reward points : 6855
Re:Star Trek - May 06, 2009 13:51
Meh, Picard could have Kirk any day of the week. Though McCoy could probably take them both, and still have enough left to put down Data afterwards.

_Majik_
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 6450
Re:Star Trek - May 06, 2009 14:34
Edwin

Meh, Picard could have Kirk any day of the week. Though McCoy could probably take them both, and still have enough left to put down Data afterwards.

Picard doesn't swagger when he walks... so he's obviously a puff.

Edwin
Re:Star Trek - May 06, 2009 15:25
_Majik_

Edwin

Picard doesn't swagger when he walks... so he's obviously a puff.

...the magic dragon?

/gets the munchies

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
Re:Star Trek - May 06, 2009 16:08
Mr Sulu would win..

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Star Trek - May 06, 2009 18:12
Who cares? This movie has Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg, therefore it is win.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Johnny Jiron
  • Total Posts : 434
  • Reward points : 5360
Re:Star Trek - May 06, 2009 19:39
Kirk...but the Shatner Kirk. Pine Kirk? We shall see.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Star Trek - May 09, 2009 04:49
9/10

Pretty fucking awesome.  It's not the typical Star Trek movie though.  If you're expecting a slow pace, with a cerebral focus.  You know how Star trek forces the audience in the position of the characters and challenges the viewer by presenting them with ethical and similarly difficult problems to solve.  This movie doesn't do this, instead it provides non stop action.  That kind of action in the Star Trek Universe is refreshing and will definitely appeal to a wider audience.  It has a lot of adrenaline and exitement but it could have used a bit more suspense.  The pace is so fast that you never have a chance to sit back and try predict the next events.

I don't want to spoil the movie but this is one you need to see.  I'll just make two more points:

Some of the best effects I've ever seen.  The last few years several movies have really impressed me in this area.  Obviously the technology is always advancing but its still amazing that we have human talent to continue pushing the boundaries.  One effect in particular that I thought "holy fucking shit" involved something they call "red matter" and a planet early in the movie.

Also, Uhura played by Zoe Saldana is fucking HOT.  She's going to be voted sexiest woman in the world by a lot of magazines, not that i read that shit.  Actually I can think of one or two magazines I wouldn't mind seeing her in.

"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Torr
  • Total Posts : 554
  • Reward points : 8100
Re:Star Trek - May 10, 2009 02:35
I have to mostly agree with Agent, it was a fantastic movie and if you are a star trek fan it makes the whole thing even better.  I disagree with Agent the point of wanting more suspense as it would have detracted from the pace of the movie and I thought that the pace felt just right.  I was unhappy with a few things but nothing that really took away from the movie as a whole.  I thought several of the characters were poorly cast, but they cast an awesome Scotty so it made up for some of the other lack and Bones was spot on and just as awesome as ever.  A must see for anyone who is the least bit interested in the scifi genre and for those who aren't.

choupolo
Re:Star Trek - May 10, 2009 06:32

A must see for anyone who is the least bit interested in the scifi genre and for those who aren't.

...thats everyone then.

Also, Uhura played by Zoe Saldana is fucking HOT.  She's going to be voted sexiest woman in the world by a lot of magazines, not that i read that shit.  Actually I can think of one or two magazines I wouldn't mind seeing her in.

SHEVA!!!! ...sorry just finished Resi 5 heh.
<message edited by choupolo on May 11, 2009 00:10>

Edwin
Re:Star Trek - May 10, 2009 12:45
So Simon Pegg makes a good Scotty then? I can't really see it somehow.

I assume we're all familiar with Spaced? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqSQ5Vu8vM&feature=related

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Star Trek - May 10, 2009 15:47
Edwin

So Simon Pegg makes a good Scotty then? I can't really see it somehow.

Simon Pegg is win, this was already established.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

choupolo
Re:Star Trek - May 10, 2009 19:44
Yeah I couldn't imagine Simon Pegg as Scotty either - going to see the film in half an hour so I guess I'll see heh.

Spaced was excellent - much loved Mark Heap's character and all of his others in Jam, Green Wing etc.

Edit:  So just seen it.  Unfortunately got to the IMAX a little late and watched from a slightly skewed angle, and the curved screen made everyone's chins a little bigger than they should have been, but once I adjusted to the perspective things were ok.

I don't know why I was expecting anything else to be honest - the film was JJ Abrams through and through, and there was really little Star Trek left after he'd had his way with it.  It was an adrenaline-fun-filled rollercoaster for sure, but had more in common with his other epic planet destroying disaster movie styled films than anything Gene Roddenberry's universe had going for it.

The cheese was strong with this one - golden gate bridge in the background, grandiose music and smirking grins in the fore.  And they may as well have had a cameo from Steve McQueen since he was blatently more of an inspiration to the modern Kirk than Leonard Nimoy was for the modern Spock.

I'm still not sure why they cast Simon Pegg as Scotty though.  It felt like they brought him on set and then said, "Right Simon, be funny - aand action!".  He really looked out of his comfort zone.  At least he must've been paid a lot.

All that said, at least it wasn't the awkward cosplay party I thought it was going to be.  It fulfilled its role as the brainless summer blockbuster it was designed to be - complete with corny catchphrases like, "don't think, just believe in your heart!"  or was that from Captain Planet I get confused. 
<message edited by choupolo on May 11, 2009 00:06>

_Majik_
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 6450
Re:Star Trek - May 11, 2009 08:38
You were at the Printworks last night? Me too... to watch it again. We were right at the front of the queue so as to get decent seats. Did you hear the guy shouting "shut up now" to Mo the projection guy?

choupolo
Re:Star Trek - May 11, 2009 18:52
Yea, first time I've been there.  We were bottom right somewhere.  The big chins did kinda spoil it.  The corner seats are useless and shouldn't exist tbh.

I think we got in a few minutes into the first scene (thought they would have trailers!) right before just about the cheesiest scene I've ever watched with George T Kirk, his wife and newly born son - I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, its pretty funny.

I reckon I might go and see it again either at Trafford on a large flat screen, or get there early to grab a centre seat at the IMAX.  Is it meant to be better on a curved screen (in the right perspective)?  I'd think it would work better for certain scenes more than others...

kukuruza
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Star Trek - Sep 13, 2009 18:45
The film very much was pleasant!!! Even were in it ridiculous the moment that especially pleased.
<message edited by kukuruza on Sep 18, 2009 16:49>