NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 08, 2009 06:13
http://games.kikizo.com/features/need-for-speed-shift-hands-on-preview-p2.asp

Thanks for the preview Ed.  First NFS game (or EA game) for a long time that I'm truly looking forward to.

I seem to remember being shot down in posts gone by for posting screens for Shift, with comments that the final game will look nothing like as good as the 'target renders'.  But the screens in the article look pretty similar in purdiness.  Did it look as nice up close in motion?

Plus you said you got motion sick, but the frame rate wasn't too bad.  Are the crashes that effective?  The way you describe them, if anything it would make me want to crash more during a race for the novelty.

<message edited by choupolo on Mar 08, 2009 06:35>

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 08, 2009 07:46
I was going to post about this one but as it turns out, I'm pretty lazy.  It looks fantastic, this along with Fuel look like must own titles for anyone even mildly interested in the racing genre.  
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Edwin
  • Total Posts : 658
  • Reward points : 6855
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 08, 2009 16:35
No problem, choupolo - that's what I'm here for :)

I don't know whether those screens have been touched up, but you can be sure it's one of the best looking racing games this generation. Ahead of Burnout and Midnight Club Los Angeles, easily. The only real technical hiccup I noticed was some pop-out in the rear view mirror, which is pretty forgivable.

I'd like to see an option to disable the g-force and crash effects, but they definitely set Shift apart from the competition. It's not like Burnout Paradise where you crash for the fun of it - hitting stuff hurts. Either that or I'm a big wet girl.

choupolo
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 10, 2009 03:24
Well I crashed my real car the other day, and it hurt...me and my wallet! No one else was involved thankfully, just some farmer's stone wall.  Just had my insurance renewal quote of £2700.  (ouchie...)

But I always remember crashing for the first time in The Getaway on the PS, and loving it.  They just felt so brutal and the car could become wrecked against a simple lamp-post or via a rear-end shunt.  Burnout isn't as much brutal as it is awesome, like you say.  Although the crash mode in Burnout 2 was the best imho.

Agent Ghost
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 10, 2009 10:06
Sorry to hear that Choupolo.  Were you hurt? 

You're an MD right?  I've been curious about something regarding doctors for some time now.  Serious question.  Ok so right after the accident where you thinking; fuck I need to see a doctor or did you just check yourself out?  Do you ever go to another doctor for anything you're qualified for?  Like do you give yourself a physical or do you get a co-worker to help you out? 

These are the type of questions that keep me up at night. 
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

choupolo
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 10, 2009 23:46
Haha, wasn't hurt badly, just a bit of whiplash and a bruised ego.

To answer your deeply philophical question though, tbh the last time I visited a doctor was when I was a kid.  And the last time I was in hospital was for a burst appendix when I was 18.  I hardly ever take any medication, even for headaches and such. 

Though I do do stuff like listen to my own heart just out of curiousity.  And have been tempted to send off my own blood to the pathology labs at the hospital I work at.  (never have though)  

Agent Ghost
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 24, 2009 08:15

choupolo
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 24, 2009 20:25
I see what you mean about the violent crashes.  Looks brilliant!

If anyone is interested theres an nice interview with Ian Bell the CEO of Slightly Mad Studios available - here.  Talking about the company's history as well as the game.

(Click on the nifty virtual magazine on the right, and skip to page 33.  You can use the mouse to zoom in, look around and flick pages etc.)

Edwin
  • Total Posts : 658
  • Reward points : 6855
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 25, 2009 16:38
Ta for that link, choupolo - intriguing stuff.

I'm trying to work out how much of my disorientation during the hands-on can be attributed to fatigue, dehydration and malnutrition. Never felt sick watching a game before.

Didn't know you were a medical man. Best play it down, or we'll be coming to you with every little ailment ;)

_Majik_
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 6450
Re:NFS: Shift 'Kizo Hands-on - Mar 25, 2009 16:49
Edwin

Didn't know you were a medical man. Best play it down, or we'll be coming to you with every little ailment ;)

Pay attention... post more etc...

You'll pick these things up.