Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying?
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 59 of 59
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 08:37
SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE MICHAEL PHELPS!!!!!!!!!1111
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 08:43
Organized crime is much more violent than petty crime, it would suck if someone stole my car, but it would suck alot more if some kids decide to  shoot/rapes my mother for no reason as part of some gang initialization ritual.
<message edited by emofag on Feb 10, 2009 08:45>
Zarathustra

• Total Posts : 140
Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 09:36
emofag

Organized crime is much more violent than petty crime, it would suck if someone stole my car, but it would suck alot more if some kids decide to  shoot/rapes my mother for no reason as part of some gang initialization ritual.

Did you know, that only 5% of a Gang's Activity actually involves gang-type behavior. Most of the time they're chilling, watching T.V., watching movies, playing video games. There is something called "personality drift". An example: a 19 year old gang banger, goes to church with his mother in the morning, then in the afternoon he's hanging out with his friends, then at 11:00 at night he's shooting some guy on the street corner because he was on his turf. Very little "gang-like" behavior happens in a gang, the vast majority of their time is spent doing other things.
Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 09:38
Agent Ghost

Have you not heard the saying- "Replublicans will take you to war, yet Democrats will put you in debt."? Alas I checked, our country has been more sucessful when we have an Replublican as President. Now, the exception can be made the President Bush was the sole reason for our country being in Debt- was it all his fault? Absolutely not, last time I checked, the Liberals are the ones who handed out mega lones that nobody could pay off, and the Liberals are the ones who seem to be overwhelmed with greed.

Check again.

I find it funny, everybody hates us, yet you admitted that we are the center of world economy. Funny as in, if we fall, then numerous countries fall. Hate us all you want, it really doesn't make an difference.

Why is that funny?  One thing doesn't prevent the other.

Because I was referring to people saying that the world could do without us. Funny as in, if we were to go under, at least 16 countries would starve because we provide their food for them, the rest would greatly suffer.
emofag

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 10:24
If you go to church in the morning, hang out with your friends in the evening, and flip burgers part time at night, you still work for McDonald's, I dont know what your example is suppposed to prove.  Of course they're not on the job 24/7, but having been in the environment I know they are all high 24/7.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 16:41
Actually, I wold like to argue the opposite. Organized crime reduces some of the most violent crimes. For example, when the Mafia controlled cities no innocent bystanders ever got hit in a drive by. If the Mafia wanted someone dead there was probably a reason, and they sent a trained killer to eliminate that person.

And Gangs are not what I'd consider "organized".
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 10, 2009 17:38
The military is pretty organized....

At the top of every gang is a few people who are extremely well organized, and they do benefit greatly from the sacrifices of the people on the bottom. 

With gangs you have to remember that the reason they're so effective is because the threat of violence is what gives them so much power.  It's fear that gives them the ability to simply take what they want often without really flexing their muscles.   
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Feb 10, 2009 17:44>
Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 11, 2009 09:00
emofag

If you go to church in the morning, hang out with your friends in the evening, and flip burgers part time at night, you still work for McDonald's, I dont know what your example is suppposed to prove.  Of course they're not on the job 24/7, but having been in the environment I know they are all high 24/7.

That just because somebody is apart of organized crime, doesn't mean they spend their whole life committing crimes. To them, the gang is a family. To them, they don't have to work, they have the drugs they sell, people they can talk to, people who they trust more than their family. To a gang member, this is their life.
1.)God
2.)Mother
3.)Gang

That is how 60 "Thugs" from the Hoover Crips said they ranked people in their life

Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 11, 2009 09:12
Agent Ghost

The military is pretty organized....

At the top of every gang is a few people who are extremely well organized, and they do benefit greatly from the sacrifices of the people on the bottom. 

With gangs you have to remember that the reason they're so effective is because the threat of violence is what gives them so much power.  It's fear that gives them the ability to simply take what they want often without really flexing their muscles.   

Unless you consider Mara Salvatrucha. Not even the gang members in that gang know who the leader is. They have no established leader, in a sense. Most of the time the new leader is killed by somebody who wants the top spot- that's how it has always been. In Southwest, Virginia, The Latin Kings, Sureno 13, The People Nation, The Texas Mexican Mafia, The Bloods, The Crips, The Skinheads, The Folk Nation, UBN, the Pegans OMG, MS-13, 18'th Street, The Danville Kings, and The Country Boys, among others, have made a impression on society. I have first hand, saw gang markings, and I've witnessed "Tag Crews" taggin' walls. People in a mostly Rural area do NOT want to admit to a gang problem, because it is simply to hard to believe.

Contrary to popular belief though, a lot of gangs in Southwest Virginia, and around Northern Neck Virginia, Roanoke Valley, and Southeast Virginia do very little violent gang behavior, why get violent when you have little competition? The gangs are so well spread out that they have very little contact with each other. Although they are the RARE exceptions; the problem with exceptions is where to draw the line, and when to draw it.

emofag

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 11, 2009 16:36
If you go to a prison and ask serial killers they would also rank 1)god 2)family 3) serial killing

You have absolutely no point.
<message edited by emofag on Feb 11, 2009 17:11>
Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 11, 2009 17:41
emofag

If you go to a prison and ask serial killers they would also rank 1)god 2)family 3) serial killing

You have absolutely no point.

protip: 1 out of 25 people are sociopaths.

You don't seem to know anything about serial killers, referring to your post. 94%of serial killers are either Sociopaths, or Psychopaths. To them, the greatest good in life is to take advantage of other people, they feel no shame, no remorse, and no guilt. Why? Well, it has something to do with the studies that have shown in the last 20 years that murderers and ultraviolent criminals have a startling evidence of brain disease. For example, in one such study, 20 of 31 confessed or sentenced murderers had specific neurological diagnoses. Some of the inmates had more than one disorders, and no subject was normal in all spheres. Among the diagnoses were schizophrenia, depression, epilepsy, alcoholism, alcoholic dementia, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, brain injury, dissociative disorders and others. More than 64 % of them appeared to have frontal lobe abnormalities. Fifty percent had brain atrophy and 40 % had EEG abnormalities. Almost 84 % of the subjects had been victims of severe physical and/or sexual abuse. The group of murderers included gang members, rapists, robbers, serial murderers, mass murderers, one subject who killed his infant son, and another who murdered three siblings.

Evil people don't say they're evil. A sociopath would rank his killings first, because he gets the most thrill out of it, the latter two? well, that's hard to tell, seeing as sociopaths and psychopaths don't care about family. Most of them live single- away from their family, most are drug abusers, alcoholics, and a decent % stated that they were abused as children. How accurate is that? Well, there is a reason why most Psychologists and Psychiatrists wont take a sociopath or psychopath as a client, because they're liars.

1.If you ever look at an EEG of a sociopath, and compare it to a normal person, you'll be surprised at the lack of activity in many areas of the brain; a "normal" person actually has a pretty balanced brain, whereas a murderer with a deprived past(not to be confused with sociopaths) have a very unbalanced brain. Sociopaths have very little neural activity, whereas a Psychopath tends to have slightly more neural activity in their frontal lobes

2. Both the psychopath and sociopath fail to feel remorse or guilt. They appear to lack a conscience and are completely    self-serving. They routinely disregard rules, social mores and laws, unmindful of putting themselves or others at risk. Of the more distinguishing traits, some argue the sociopath to be less organized in his or her demeanor, nervous and easily agitated – someone likely living on the fringes of society, without solid or consistent economic support. A sociopath is more likely to spontaneously act out in inappropriate ways without thinking through the consequences.
Conversely, some argue that the psychopath tends to be extremely organized, secretive and manipulative. The outer personality is often charismatic and charming, hiding the real person beneath. Though psychopaths do not feel for others, they can mimic behaviors that make them appear normal. Upon meeting, one would have more of a tendency to trust a psychopath than a sociopath.

3. Because of the organized personality of the psychopath, he or she might have a tendency to be better educated than the average sociopath, who probably lacks the attentive skills to excel in school. While psychopaths can fly under the radar of society, many maintaining families and steady work, a sociopath more often lacks the skills and drive for mimicking normal behavior, making “seemingly healthy” relationships and a stable home less likely. From a criminal standpoint, a sociopath’s crimes are typically disorganized and spontaneous, while the psychopath’s crimes are well planned out. For this reason, psychopaths are harder to catch than sociopaths, as the sociopath is more apt to leave ample evidence in his or her explosions of violence.

That's my two cents. Basically what I could have said instead of going on a rant, was that a sociopath has no list of favorites, as you listed.

Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 11, 2009 17:46
Oh, and another main difference between a sociopath and psychopath, is that a psychopath doesn't know the difference between right or wrong, a sociopath knows the difference between them, but doesn't care. It's a simplistic model of two very complex mental disorders, but if it has any merit at all, it's worth it to remember.
Agent Ghost

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 12, 2009 05:10

Once again, completely irrelevant. 

Sociopaths are different from Psychopaths, not all prisoners are either.  Most are probably neither.  Both are similar in that they have zero apathy.  It's their motivations that separate them, a sociopath will do anything for success, a psychopath will do anything for sadistic reasons.  Stop regurgitating any new piece of shit you read.  If you have a problem understanding what the textbook is saying, ask your professor.

I don't see what this has to do with crime rates, any more than crime rates influencing macro economics.  You can't seem to get your Cause and Effect straight.
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Feb 12, 2009 05:17>
Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 12, 2009 05:51
Agent Ghost

Once again, completely irrelevant. 

Sociopaths are different from Psychopaths, not all prisoners are either.  Most are probably neither.  Both are similar in that they have zero apathy.  It's their motivations that separate them, a sociopath will do anything for success, a psychopath will do anything for sadistic reasons.  Stop regurgitating any new piece of shit you read.  If you have a problem understanding what the textbook is saying, ask your professor.

I don't see what this has to do with crime rates, any more than crime rates influencing macro economics.  You can't seem to get your Cause and Effect straight.

See, there you go, stating false facts. It is estimated that AT LEAST 55% of men in prison are suffering from some sort of mental illness. If you took 100% of that 55%, 72% would be people who have committed a violent crime against another person(whether murder, rape, assaults, home invasions, B&E, etc). Serial killers are people have killed 3 or more people(usually, sometimes it can be 2 or more people, depending on the state). The odds are in their favor for the majority of serial killers being sociopaths and psychopaths.

Statistically speaking, most sociopaths are convicted for sexual offenses, whereas Psychopaths are convicted mostly for murders. If you were to read what has been posted above, the reason I posted what I posted was directed to the Serial Killer statement that the entity above me wrote. One could say that Psychopaths are more violent in their crimes(the way the body is left, and the way the body was destructed, or extreme amounts of overkill).

And I'll agree that macroeconomics are related to high larceny or petty theft, maybe even shoplifting.

<message edited by Zarathustra on Feb 12, 2009 05:52>
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 12, 2009 05:56
This whole thread has become irrelevant. Let it die or someone put it down like Old Yeller.
Agent Ghost

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 12, 2009 06:50
Most sociopaths are not criminals.

Saying that most sociopaths are more likely to commit one crime and psychopaths are more likely to commit others is wrong.  There's no way of knowing this.  Even if we had census on everyones crimes and personality.  People don't have labels on their head that state weather they're sociopaths or psychopaths.  While psychopath may be much easier to label as there are often neurological (innate) characteristics that encourage a person to be a psychopath, a true psychopath is believed by some to born as such.  That being said you can have psychopathic behaviour without actually being a psychopath in the true sense of the word.  You can also be a psychopath without behaving like one.  Sociopaths on the other hand fall in a very wide grey area.  There subtypes of sociopathy.   A sex offender may fit in one of these subtypes but he would NOT be a good reprentative of Sociopaths. 

Its not black and white.  For example I have some of the characteristics often associated with Sociopaths.  This hardly makes me a criminal.  Better examples of a sociopaths would be a lawyers (especially prosecuters) and crooked politicians.

Most sociopaths and psychopaths are probably never caught with a crime.  Most sociopaths never commit a crime in the first place.
Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 12, 2009 22:08
Agent Ghost

Most sociopaths are not criminals.

Saying that most sociopaths are more likely to commit one crime and psychopaths are more likely to commit others is wrong.  There's no way of knowing this.  Even if we had census on everyones crimes and personality.  People don't have labels on their head that state weather they're sociopaths or psychopaths.  While psychopath may be much easier to label as there are often neurological (innate) characteristics that encourage a person to be a psychopath, a true psychopath is believed by some to born as such.  That being said you can have psychopathic behaviour without actually being a psychopath in the true sense of the word.  You can also be a psychopath without behaving like one.  Sociopaths on the other hand fall in a very wide grey area.  There subtypes of sociopathy.   A sex offender may fit in one of these subtypes but he would NOT be a good reprentative of Sociopaths. 

Its not black and white.  For example I have some of the characteristics often associated with Sociopaths.  This hardly makes me a criminal.  Better examples of a sociopaths would be a lawyers (especially prosecuters) and crooked politicians.

Most sociopaths and psychopaths are probably never caught with a crime.  Most sociopaths never commit a crime in the first place.

How in the hell can you say that, when it is near impossible to tell if somebody is a sociopath or just a narcissistic? And about the sociopaths and sexual offenses. That actually is true(most of them actually test out as sociopaths according to the DSM). People think that Psychopaths are more violent than Sociopaths, and I kind of have to agree. But like I said, it is ESTIMATED that 1 in 25 people are Sociopaths. Nobody can be sure on those stats because with everything that has to do with statistics(as you know from your Social Science classes) is easily flawed, and most likely is not the most accurate source of information. I do greatly agree with you about the Black and White statement you made. It is near impossible to get an exact diagnosis on somebody because it really comes down to how good the Psychologist and Psychiatrist is. At least that's my opionion.
Agent Ghost

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 12, 2009 22:45
I can say that with confidence because prisoners do not make a good sample of the total population. 
Zarathustra

Re:Why is the idea of a pot-smoking olympic gold medalist so terrifying? - Feb 13, 2009 05:53
You know what the problem with confidence is? Everybody believes they're right, the truth is, most of the time, they're never certain.
<message edited by Zarathustra on Feb 13, 2009 05:57>
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 59 of 59

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread