Left handed xbox 360 controllers

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 30, 2009 10:53
Guys, anyone know where I can lay my hands on a 360 controller for a lefty? My nephew got a 360 for christmas and is struggling with using the buttons with his right hand, any suggestions welcome.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 30, 2009 11:09
Force him to learn.  He'll get used to it.  And actually doing things with your off hand is a good mental exercise.  I didn't think inverted controllers exist.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 30, 2009 12:40
I think I've seen a 3rd party, but being 3rd party its probably garbage. The best you could probably do is switch the sticks to Southpaw.

Edit: After searching, the closest I could find were mod services that swapped thumbsticks and triggers.
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Jan 30, 2009 12:48>
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 30, 2009 19:35
alijay034

Guys, anyone know where I can lay my hands on a 360 controller for a lefty? My nephew got a 360 for christmas and is struggling with using the buttons with his right hand, any suggestions welcome.

I suggest practice and more practice. I'm left-handed too but I play video games like a right-handed player because the controls of most arcade games and the default controllers of all consoles have always been geared towards right-handed players. Heck, I've struggled with the few left-handed arcade setups I've come across.
<message edited by Terry Bogard on Jan 30, 2009 19:43>
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 30, 2009 19:39
I never knew such controllers exist . I am a lefty and have got used to the normal controllers . As agent said its a good thing to learn to do stuff with your off hand ..
  [image]http://gdpit.com/avatars_pictures/animated/gdpit_com_45464555_806.gif[/image]

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 30, 2009 20:27
Well, I could swap the stick orientation for him, so the stick functions are reversed, but I've never even seen a button and stick reversal in the modding scene, no less commercially. It would require totally reengineering the PCB.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Jan 31, 2009 08:14
I got you covered, bro!

Ty_
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Feb 06, 2009 18:13
Try http://lefthandedly.com/ for southpaw Xbox 360 controllers. Alternatively, a guy called Llama has posted a guide on how to do the mod yourself online at http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/Xbox-360-Southpaw-Controller-Mod.htm

Regards

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Feb 06, 2009 18:40
Ty_

Try http://lefthandedly.com/ for southpaw Xbox 360 controllers. Alternatively, a guy called Llama has posted a guide on how to do the mod yourself online at http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/Xbox-360-Southpaw-Controller-Mod.htm

Regards

He was looking for one with the face buttons on the left, but thanks for actually contributing and welcome to the forums.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Feb 06, 2009 22:09
I think he's better off using a normal controller anyway. What if a new console comes out and he buys it? Chances are more than likely that he won't be able to find another lefty controller for quite sometime.

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Feb 13, 2009 23:17
Thanks for the help guys, he has now decided to try and play the 'wrong way around' so hopefully he will get the hang of things

FeelinPunky
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Oct 10, 2009 11:15
To all interested Lefties,

I am left-handed too, and after searching around a bit I found three realistic options, one possible, and one fallback option.

1. LeftHandedly.com in Berkshire, UK
 2. Bog1eman@yahoo.com using a site at: http://www.geocities.com/xequals16/ which redirects to http://www.teknoguild.com/
 3. NorthernGames with no web store front and no direct email address.
 4. Darkrogue who noted that he mods controllers and to PM him for more info.
 5. Team Llamma.com which sadly did not appear to be doing production work on swapping sticks, just tutorials.

The problems and advantages of each became apparent quickly.
1. LeftHandedly.com in Berkshire, UK had internal company reasons to stop producing controller mods completely.   They left only a very small caveat added about possibly coming back at some indeterminate time in the future. This happened just as I was getting set to order one myself, and would have ordered one, if they had one to sell, but no joy...

2. Bog1eman@yahoo.com / teknoguilld.com  Ready and willing with additional config options too.
Swapping triggers and thumbstick buttons, slide switches to return settings to normal too.
Best of all he said he could swap the 'Left Shoulder' button and 'A' button. (Permanent 'Bumper Jumper' layout)

This solves a major problem for Lefty's using "standard" button layouts, since 'Jump' is usually mapped to 'A'.
With Jump on the 'A' button, you must stop forward movement and aiming, to reach across/over the right thumb on the right thumbstick and plant it correctly the right time to resync with the thumbstick control, to allow you to move and jump simultaneously.  Meantime your left stick has been unattended, and your virtual self has been starring blindly ahead, at the ground, or sky.

3. NorthernGames had with no web store front, no direct email, but could be reached through Game Trading Zone  'http://gametz.com/user/northerngames.aspx'   He was quite willing to do the stick mods, but not revert switches.  He had quite a bit of mod'ing experience, and generally good rep on the boards he used.
He was also willing to do the 'Left Bumper' to 'A' button swap, but had no info/schematics/drawings on how, so if I had the info...

4. Darkrogue was too difficult to reach, with no web page, no email address, no other posts on other sites about the subject, etc.

5. Team Llamma did not seem to be interested in going production, plus their tutorial was on a wired controller, and I definitely wanted mine wireless.

In the end, I went with, and would recommend, Bog1eman@yahoo.com / teknoguilld.com.
I used a new black wireless controller, swapped the sticks and thumbstick buttons, swapped the 'Left Shoulder' and 'A' buttons, added slider switches to reverse the button changes, and also added two more new buttons for 'B' and 'X' on the underside of the case, right where the tips of my middle fingers rest.

The final job is really clean, so sweet you have to look carefully twice to notice any difference at all, but to me, it makes all the difference in the world.  So many shooters with no, or pathetic options for changing the controls to a left-handed mode, now work fine, as-is.  Default sticks (with invert) - Default buttons.  Whoowhoo!  Thank you Bog1eman!

It wasn't cheap, but after all these years of frustration, it felt a bargain to get controller that would never leave me as a lefty, at the complete [lack of] mercy of the game developers.

I have never known, nor am connected with him in any way, except to be a very happy customer.
I'm posting this here because this board was one where I eventually made some of the contacts listed above.

FeelinPunky
_@sbcglobal.net_

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:Left handed xbox 360 controllers - Oct 11, 2009 10:09
Left-handedness, in comparison to the general population, also appears to occur more frequently in several groups of individuals with neurological disorders (such as people with epilepsy,[5] Down Syndrome,[6] autism,[7] mental retardation[8] and dyslexia)
That explains alot about alijay and 2pac

And yes I know this thread is old, forums are dead, stfu.