Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Resident Evil 5 Demo
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 41
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 21:35
Zarathustra

I just could not get into it- as much as I plundered. The aiming system was what put the nail in the coffin for me.

But you didnt mind the lack of one in previous RE's? I know it may be gay to quote Spock, but "thats highly illogical to me."
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 23:11
Interesting impressions, Eddie.
Zarathustra

• Total Posts : 140
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 30, 2009 03:51
immortaldanmx

Zarathustra

I just could not get into it- as much as I plundered. The aiming system was what put the nail in the coffin for me.

But you didnt mind the lack of one in previous RE's? I know it may be gay to quote Spock, but "thats highly illogical to me."

I guess it has something to do with there being so many RE's out. Maybe I don't know. I just could not get into the game.
Edwin

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 31, 2009 11:30
Just taken receipt of a new batch of preview code for this - embargo goes up on 5th Feb - so will bear the above impressions in mind...
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 31, 2009 15:00
I dont remember ever finding it that difficult to aim when I played RE4 on the PS2.  Maybe the control system doesn't translate well to the 360 controller.  The simple task of aiming up a bit or down a bit seems a chore.  The lack of strafe and aim as has been said before is a crime.  Even if it is done with the intention to make things more tense.

The level of ammo available suits me ok, just about.  I can imagine getting a bit frustrated with the aiming and getting a little trigger happy from time to time, but mostly I rarely have to use my knife.  Again the lack of move and aim makes using the knife pretty useless - you hit once, they stumble back and are immediately out of range.  So its only good if you've cornered a zombie by a wall, and then you have no awareness of impending danger behind you.

Other than that, I like the new art direction.  They certainly didn't hold back on the decapitation aspect.   

I think I need to play RE4 again to see exactly what I enjoyed about it.  I remember my first impressions thinking the new zombie type having more 'human' features and being mobs with pitch forks chanting incomprehensibly was a good direction to take.

Id say the same effect in RE5 isn't as striking - maybe because it isn't new anymore or perhaps they didn't get the feel quite right this time, maybe africans aren't as scary as the spanish.  Nonetheless they certainly give you a chill when they grab you and you can see directly into their eyes.  Thats a nice touch.
<message edited by choupolo on Jan 31, 2009 17:43>
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 31, 2009 17:43
let me walk and aim and then allow the zombies to run full force at me, something more like dead space, tension is intact and makes the game something more than RE4
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 31, 2009 17:57
Dead Space struck a good balance, although the controls were still a little awkward on PC by virtue of being a port.  But yeah Dead Space is a good example.  You dont have to be able to run and do commando rolls like Gears, but a little more freedom would be nice.

I think this is what I liked most in RE4.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXx0qwe0wc
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 02, 2009 00:48
Is it out on PSN yet? Cant find it anywhere on both US and JP accounts.

That video was really funny. Bet people were freaked out by that guy.
<message edited by GrayFox on Feb 02, 2009 00:49>
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 02, 2009 21:13
Just downloaded the demo after being warned by several people who's opinion I actually value, and they're right. Its the same shit as 4. Same shitty controls. Same shitty zombie shit shit. Same not-Left4Dead shitty mcshit-shit. Seriously, how can you guys play this crap. Why do the Japanese even try to make FPS? They should just stick to JRPGs. I was planning on perhaps renting/borrowing, but damn, I just don't know if I can handle the mental trauma.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 01:12
I like it. I thought it was pretty intense and fun to play with my lil' bro. Like you said, some adherences to old design models a la RE4 make a little-to-no sense now at days, but hey, didn't bothered me before, I ain't gonna let it bother me now. Is just a good old RE title, which I am planning to enjoy to the fullest.
mastachefbkw

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 04:24
I'm glad you're an optimistic person...
Edwin

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 09:56
I've played the first 3-4 chapters now, and I'm quite enjoying this. Essentially, it's just a more fleshed-out version of Resident Evil 4 with extra motion blur, bloom and geometry, plus some quite helpful co-op AI - Sheva picks up ammo for you, uses the weapons you give her, comes to your aid when you're pinned, etc. I'm not sure how it'll fare when there are two living breathing players involved, though - it's early days, but I can't imagine this having the replay value of a game like Left 4 Dead, or even Gears. Too many scripted spawns.

There's a certain truth to the idea that this gameplay model's time has passed, but I think we're in danger of over-valuing the faster, more fluid action Epic provides. There's room in the market for more than one kind of third-person shoot-out, and the strength of RE5's relatively cumbersome control system is it makes you feel actually, properly vulnerable. Still, the absence of strafe-aiming is indeed criminal. If you didn't want the player to be too agile, Capcom, you could have made it slow strafe-aiming.
<message edited by Edwin on Feb 03, 2009 09:58>
Chimura

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 13:16
mastachefbkw

I'm glad you're an optimistic person...

What can I say? I love RE4! 

_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 16:14
Resident Evil 4, Chaos Theory and God of War II were the high points of the previous generation. RE4 in particular took up more of my time than any other console game.

RE5 is going to be awesome. Granted... the controls do feel a little archaic by todays standards, but compared to Gears and Uncharted, even GRAW 2's feel sluggish and thats a game that's taken up and ungodly amount of my time since it's release.

I think Dead Space controls better than RE5, but once you get into a game proper you tend to forget about stuff like that anyway. RE4 Wii Edition worked really well so it's a little strange playing RE5 as is... but i don't doubt the epic 18+ hrs that await those who buy the game once it hits shelves. Shit... RE5 will be worthy of purchase if only for the fucking Mercenaries mode.
Chimura

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 17:19
_Majik_

... but i don't doubt the epic 18+ hrs that await those who buy the game once it hits shelves. 

I don't doubt it either, fuck, I am eager!

_Majik_

Shit... RE5 will be worthy of purchase if only for the fucking Mercenaries mode.

I know Mercenaries is confirmed, but any other info on that? Like, will it be co-op enabled? I would be satisfied even if they just carbon-copied RE4 one, but co-op, now that would be tight!

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 03, 2009 20:33
I have to agree! If Resident Evil 5 is anything like part 4 then the game will be nothing short of awesome! Resident Evil 4 was the only game in the series that I completed more than once. I think I finished it like 5 times.
Edwin

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 04, 2009 17:43
Actually I'm going to go one further and say this is the bomb. Familiar yet somehow unique.
mastachefbkw

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 04, 2009 22:26

Actually I'm going to go one further and say this is the bomb. Familiar yet somehow unique.
Lol, bomb? Is this the '80s?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 04, 2009 22:40

He's English. 
mastachefbkw

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Feb 05, 2009 00:03
Agent Ghost

He's English.