Core Temp

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
Core Temp - Dec 28, 2008 01:08
Hello I am having a few issues here. I just got my pc all hooked up and I running coretemp and speed fan. Both are giving me different temps. But when I run prime95 or everrest to stess out the pc. The core temp goes up and the speed fan barley moves.

Last night my fan was going pretty loud so I took the heatsink out and the processor was stuck to my heatsink. Now before I removed the heat sink from the processor. My temps were very high 50 and up on speedfan and 35 to 43 on core temp. So went and got some artic  5 paste And the temps drop big time. CoreTemo says I'm at 23 to 25 idle and speed fans says I'm at 41 But when I stress the processor out coretemps starts to move up. The speedfans does not move it might move up to 42 or 43 after two minutes of stress test.

So my thing is which temp should I stand by Speed fan or core temp

I have provided some screens for you guys. During both of these screen shots I am doing nothing more than typeing this. I'm going to stress it out for 5 whole minutes and come back with those screen shots.

Oh and by the way I'm rocking amd quad core 2.2 stock fan and heat sink.

Also what the heck is tj max and how come I don't have it. Where can I get the tjmax deal.

Screen shot under stress test.

After I shut the stress down core temps starts to drop its reading but speed fan takes 5 miuntes to get down to 41 and never goes below 41 kind of funky..

So what do you guys think.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Core Temp - Dec 28, 2008 01:41
This is pretty normal.  There is no way to get the true CPU temperature, the best we can do is get estimates.  First of all, parts of a CPU will be different temperatures even within the same core.  Secondly there are different ways to monitor CPU temperatures.  I believe Speedfan and Coretemp use different methods to estimate the cpu temperature. 

I've never used either but if I'm correct Speedfan uses sensors from your motherboard to estimate the temperatures while Coretemp relies on a sensor built into the CPU itself.  It really doesn't matter which is more accurate, both can have defective sensors.  Even if they both work correctly they rarely agree with eachother.  If you want to know the temperature to compare with other people, I recommend using the same application.  If someone is using PC mark 2008, you should use that as well.  That way you will at least have an idea of how effective your cooling is.  The actual temperature doesn't really matter that much.

I don't know if you want to know the temps for overclocking or to have your fans working better.  Either way you should use an aftermarket cooler.  Get something with a manual speed dial.  Relying on the motherboard to control fan speed sucks as does using a stock cooler.  With a good cooler you can have lower temps and can have it run fairly quiet. 

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Dec 28, 2008 01:43>
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
Re:Core Temp - Dec 28, 2008 02:32
Thanks agent this is the after cooler heatsink I'm going to buy next week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835200014

Do you think my temps are very hot.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Core Temp - Dec 28, 2008 03:22
I don't know if those temps are high or not.  I switched to Intel before AMD released it's Phenom chips.  If your PC isn't crashing then they should be fine.  If speedfan isn't showing higher temps while under load, then Coretemp is probably more reliable.  If you install a better heatsink Coretemp will reflect this more than Speedfan.

I don't know about that heatsink though.  It has the fan dial for the PCI slot.  You won't want to adjust the fan speed if it's hard to reach.  The best ones are the ones that can be slapped on top of your PC case.  On the other hand if the wire is long enough you can tape it on your case anyways.

I buy my shit form NCIX.  They have a better selection for many things and offer a price matching service. 

http://www.ncixus.com/products/1023/138/CPU%20Heatsinks/AM2/

You can even buy the speed dial sperately, (this is the one I use)

http://www.ncixus.com/products/14032/ZM-FM2/ZALMAN%20TECH/

You might be able to find something similar in a PC shop.  You probably need a 3 pin like the one shown. 
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:Core Temp - Dec 28, 2008 05:45
Use Real Temp, core temp is ass.

46 idle is a little high, but I'm not sure if that's normal for AMD chips, but my Q9550 is overclocked from 2.83 to 3.6 and idle temps are 30-32, it can get to the 60s during load though.
<message edited by emofag on Dec 28, 2008 05:52>

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
Re:Core Temp - Dec 29, 2008 19:33
46 idle is high, I am using the same cpu as you and mine idles at between 34 and 36 (using a coolermaster heatsink and fan.) using the stock you shouldn't be pushing more that 40

gomez12
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Core Temp - Feb 05, 2009 05:05
I think this is normally happened.The heat is depends on how many long you have been using your computer.So i would like to suggest you to,turn off for a while for every 2 hours.Thanks.
-------------------------
gomez

New Jobs

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:Core Temp - Feb 07, 2009 01:13
lol

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:Core Temp - Feb 07, 2009 02:38
what a hero.

asidtab
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Core Temp - Aug 06, 2009 10:21
Hi check AMD for your cpu voltage if it to high then go into bios and lower it this may help

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:Core Temp - Aug 11, 2009 11:00
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism