Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sonic Unleashed
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 23 of 23
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Sonic Unleashed - Dec 22, 2008 13:09
Vx Chemical

Even the 2d levels are an abomination of the real sonic, its simply too fast. Sonic might be fast but he should be fast compared to Mario, not compared to an Ferrari Enzo.

They should remake Sonic the Hedgehog in bright shining 3d graphics with a 2d view and release it for arcade.

Agreed..

Immortal

Shenmue was garbage

Do you like talking absolute shit all of the time?

whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
Re:Sonic Unleashed - Dec 22, 2008 18:55
Unleashed wasn’t the steaming pile of shite Sonic 06 was but it was far from the return to form many have been waiting for. I was sucked into the hype at the start, the fancy CG opening dazzling my eyes and the sheer speed of Sonic coupled with the lack of ‘pits of doom’ in the opening few daytime stages fooled me for a little while. Even the Werehog was almost likeable at first and the hub worlds were small enough to be charming. Any cut scene featuring Eggman in this game is gold and his robot helper is one of the best new characters in a Sonic game in years.

However by about the mid way point some niggling annoyances creep in. You start getting killed cheaply in the daytime stages with little to no warning of obstacles in your path. Werehog levels become really fiddly and place you over pits of death everywhere. Even the hub worlds become an annoyance after you’ve been to them all for the second, third, fourth or fifth time trying to trigger an event that lets you progress to the next level.

By the games end I was so frustrated I almost snapped my controller in two. Eggmanland is everything that is wrong with Sonic in 3D. Pit deaths are many, certain sections need memorizing before you can clear them without hitting spikes or falling off things and it’s just far too long. On my first play through it took me 50 minutes.

Don’t even get me started on the horrible final boss. Egg Dragoon was actually one of the most fun bosses in the game but Dark Gaia was the biggest pain of all. Way too much QTE.  

The game isn’t fundamentally broken like Sonic 06 was but the Sonic Team seem to have mistaken difficulty with bad level design towards the end. Almost everything before Empire City is a blast and some of the best Sonic bits since the Adventure games. It’s just a shame the quality couldn’t be maintained.

What is it going to take to get a mainstream Sonic game featuring just Sonic style gameplay and no tacked on gimmicks like shooting, treasure hunting, fishing or werehog sections? It worked for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
<message edited by whatabout_paul on Dec 22, 2008 18:59>
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Sonic Unleashed - Dec 22, 2008 19:19
Virtua fighter 5

Vx Chemical

Even the 2d levels are an abomination of the real sonic, its simply too fast. Sonic might be fast but he should be fast compared to Mario, not compared to an Ferrari Enzo.

They should remake Sonic the Hedgehog in bright shining 3d graphics with a 2d view and release it for arcade.

Agreed..

Immortal

Shenmue was garbage

Do you like talking absolute shit all of the time?

Why yes, I do. Do you enjoy waving dildos about all the time and praising an overrated series? Oh wait, Shenmue shouldnt be called a series, it flopped and cant get another game released
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 23 of 23

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message