Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii graphics too garbage for TV
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 65
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 24, 2008 13:50
immortaldanmx

the_shadowwolf

immortaldanmx

So Says EA

"An Electronic Arts commercial for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 has been banned in the U.K. in its current form for using Xbox 360 footage to promote the Wii version of the game. In the ad, Tiger is seen swinging a Wiimote, and the whole ad is overset with the Wii logo, but the graphics are Xbox. In its defense, EA said the Wii footage was not "of broadcast quality." Aside from a few nice Xbox shadows, the difference isn't that dramatic in the comparison above (larger version of the image here); it's certainly not as drastic as this tongue-in-cheek depiction. Even if it were, EA's solution is baffling. C'mon guys, video-game ads have been getting around showing real gameplay through good old-fashioned creativity since the Atari. You intercut small amounts of game footage into bigger amounts of non-game footage to create an amusing movie, an elaborate musical theater production, or even a full-length trailer in beautiful HD animation. Stealing another man's graphics? That's like claiming Tiger Woods can walk on water or something. It's just plain sacrilegious. Via Offworld."

This made me lol.

That's a dick move on EA's part

No, thats a quote of the month on EA's part. Everyone has learned to live with the fact that the Wii is a toy with only a few real games that are buried under shovelware like WiiFit, WiiMusic, and licensed games. Now EA is just saying what no other dev has had the balls to say.

Here is the entire Quote from EA

"They explained that Wii footage would not be of broadcast quality, and the originating agency had thought it preferable to use the Xbox footage, which was closer to broadcast definition, than to 'up the resolution' of Wii footage to broadcast quality," said the ASA. EA also argued the ad stated the game was available on multiple formats to avoid confusion. The ASA, though, didn't buy it.

EA developed the game, this is their game which they want on all systems.
Yes dan, everyone knows that the Wii is not a powerhouse when it comes to the graphics department. But graphics is not everything.
EA tried a thing to get the Wii version sold...that's their problem.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 24, 2008 17:35

Yes dan, everyone knows that the Wii is not a powerhouse when it comes to the graphics department. But graphics is not everything.
Graphics aren't, but performance is, which the wii lacks.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 24, 2008 19:33
mastachefbkw

Graphics aren't, but games and hardware not from 1999 are, which the wii lacks.

Fixed.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 24, 2008 20:28
immortaldanmx

mastachefbkw

Graphics aren't, but games and hardware not from 1999 are, which the wii lacks.

Fixed.

Yes, we was playing motion sensor-based games such as Wii sports in 1999

Dan, your an idiot.. really thick... Even if Wii was as powerful and only used standard controls, how would that benefit you? how? Three identical versions of COD4 to choose from! A HD Mario? with the same controls as 64? zzzzzzz , Three consoles doing the same thing zzzzzzz , three identical Versions of Bioshock zzzzzzz.  Nintendo got tired of the standard upgrade Analog Controller and upgrage on graphics.. You should have aleast alittle respect for them to having guts to break out of the mold and pathing a new direction.

Just get it through your thick head, Wii is on a path towards the future of gaming and all it'll take is Nintendo is

1) Get the motion Controls perfected
2) Concentrate on Stunning HD visuals (which im pretty sure Nintendo R&D are doing right now).. 

Nintendo know, With both Perfected 'Full' Motion controls and Powerful HD Hardware 3rd Parties would go  ape Crazy to develop for the thing.. And we'll see LOADS of new full hardcore IP's going through the roof by these 3rd parties.

Yes, theres loads of (what you like to call) Fake games at the momemt but let Nintendo continue to build their bank Balance and invest even more money for this future Hardware and the games they really want to produce.

Simple.

Oh , if you'r not interested in new ip's or conversions of titles that use advanced or new motion controls you'll always have the next Xbox with Crysis-like graphics on a slightly upgraded 360 pad.. Just what high-end PC users are doing now, only MS would call it 'future of gaming' in fall 2009 lol..  HOW FUCKING EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your an idiot.

<message edited by Virtua fighter 5 on Dec 24, 2008 20:35>
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 24, 2008 21:45
Having one standard would mean the market isn't segmented.  I'm sure there are games that don't exist because Nintendo doesn't have a console that is up to par.  having a larger total install base means developers can take bigger risks, and invest more in a single title.  So yes in this respect Wii is holding back the industry.  It would be better if it didn't exist at all, as this would mean more sales for the PS3 and 360.

And yes I do want to see Mario 128, Zelda HD, Super smash HD etc...  Although calling it HD is an understatement.  PS3 and 360 are more than just PS2 and Xbox in HD.  You can do a lot more with the machines.

You're talking as if the Wiimote was a huge creative success.  It's not, it sucks.  We're not seeing 1:1 motion or anything close.  All we got was point and shake.  Wow, innovative shit right there.  

Frankly I'm sick of looking at polygons and jaggies.  We're approaching 2009, it's time to raise the fucking bar. 

I'm already looking foward to the next gen. 
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 01:21

Oh , if you'r not interested in new ip's or conversions of titles that use advanced or new motion controls you'll always have the next Xbox with Crysis-like graphics on a slightly upgraded 360 pad.. Just what high-end PC users are doing now, only MS would call it 'future of gaming' in fall 2009 lol..  HOW FUCKING EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That gave me goosebumps actually. So you accuse people who like playing games on a respectable machine 360/PS3 as wanting the same thing, only a little bit better, but yet you play a Gamecube 2 Wii with the same hardware as a fucking gamecube, with virtually the same games. I assume adding halfassed motion control to a console is teh innovationzzzzz, right?
immortaldanmx

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 02:05
Your logic knows no bounds, Chef.

And VirtuaFaggot, do you seriously think that the next PS and Xbox will only be as powerful as a PC today? PC gaming is dying, tech companies think so, sales point to it, developers are preparing for it.
Agent Ghost

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 02:40

And VirtuaFaggot, do you seriously think that the next PS and Xbox will only be as powerful as a PC today? PC gaming is dying, tech companies think so, sales point to it, developers are preparing for it.

Bullshit.

What do you think the hardware in consoles is based on?  It's based on PC hardware.  The GPU in the PS3 was taken straight from a Nvidia GPU on the market.  The GPU in the 360 was an mid range chip a modified ATI design.  The CPU in the 360 was based on IBMs Power processors.  Nintendo used the same sources for it's chips. 

Computer hardware is still advancing at a very rapid rate.  At the same time the power envelope is increasing.  Meaning the highest end are using more power than ever.  This is a problem for consoles, as well as the cost of the components.  No one will ever put ultra high-end components in a console.  The PS3 and 360 were not even top of the line when they were released.  The GTX 280 alone consumes more power than an Xbox 360 or PS3. 

Even if PC gaming is dying, console hardware is still based on the hardware from computers.  

Profit margins on computer hardware are shrinking because the cost of manufacturing is increasing.  You can't double the transistor count every year or two without this affecting the cost.  PC enthusiasts don't give a fuck, if the best videocard costs 700$, there will be people to buy it simply because it's the best.  But don't expect console manufacturers to take the same chip and put it in a 400$ console.  Don't forget that a console has many components, not just a gpu.  I doubt MS or Sony will do what they did this gen and offer a console at such a huge loss.  I still expect something great, but not much compared to a high end gaming rig.

I would be extatic if the next gen was released with something like a GTX 280 as a GPU along with appropriate memory and CPU configuration.  I highly doubt it though.  Maybe something last gen like a 8800GTX.  Which is still 5-10 times faster than what's in the 360 or PS3. 

The next gen is still going to be great though.  Developers are using consoles as their base platform so it will be amazing to have the base catch up to what PC can do.   
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Dec 25, 2008 02:43>
immortaldanmx

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 02:56
All the high-end computer parts wont matter when all PC gamers will have are console ports.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 10:43
Eh, the "enthusiast" market for PCs doesn't exist.  Most money is made from midrange sub $200 cards.  Most PC gamers have mediocre hardware.  There is a very obvious trend in PC gaming where the games are being made less graphically intense so the masses can enjoy it.  360 produces better/equal graphics than any midrange PC in 2005-2007, it only started to fall behind midrange PCs as of 2008, and the console is 3 years old.

And VF5 you need not concern yourself with what people with dual $700 videocards are enjoying, don't act like you're in the income range to afford it, peasant. 

Why are people still arguing with this moron?  He's an idiot that posts pro-Wii garbage in a forum where nobody likes it.  My guess is he gets bored of talking to 9 year olds in Nintendo forums and wants to desperately talk to adults?

<message edited by emofag on Dec 25, 2008 11:02>
Agent Ghost

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 13:37
Does it really matter if people buy them or not?  They still exist.  They allow us to use higher settings and run the games faster. 

Even in 2005 the best hardware was above what we have in the 360 or PS3.  The software wasn't there yet but the hardware existed.  I could take a high end PC from '05 and use it to run Crysis.  Crysis would run better on the PC I had 3 years ago than it would on a PS3 or 360.  I'm not even sure if you could make Crysis recognizable on current consoles.  These consoles have decent GPUs but they don't have good CPUs or memory configurations.

In the past, PC was the lead development platform (well it was segmented).  Now we're seeing a console being used as the lead platform.  In the future it simply won't matter.  Once consoles cross a minimum benchmark they won't be the bottleneck they are today.  The ideal is to be able to develope games for the PC and press a button for compatibility with the consoles without having to shave content or graphics.  We've somewhat seen that this gen but once you remove RAM constraints of the consoles we'll see much more impressive games (not just graphically).

I just hope Sony and MS don't come out with any fucked up hardware choices for the next gen.
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Dec 25, 2008 13:47>
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 15:36
A "PC enthusiast" to me means someone who likes to customise and push their hardware to the limit, in order to get the best value from it - which includes anything from midrange components to the most blisteringly fast available.

Anyone rich enough can buy a shit hot GPU and plug it into a socket - they're not necessarily the people most passionate about the platform.

The PC will always remain the experimental platform - whether its advanced tech, new paradigms and ideas or niche/independent gaming - just by virtue of the platform being free and unrestricted. 

There are still a lot of people willing to pay for that.  You wont necessarily see those sales at retail but online as well.  Most of the PC games I get are through steam, independent develeloper websites or other digital distribution sources, which wont necessariy show up in sales stats.

For example theres a racing sim called rFactor, which has been around for years now - the idea is that you download the main engine from the dev website or their mirrors, then "enthusiasts" can develop any content they like for it, which the end user can download for free and use to race anyone else with it online.  Took a while to get off the ground but its a cult phenomenon at the moment.

That freedom comes at a price though - cost as well as a lack of standards.  Eventually someone had to make a website for rFactor in order to give users more info on all the mods and user reviews in one place.

Consoles will always be the more popular choice for mass entertainment, but the test bed will always need to exist. 

Im looking forward to next-gen consoles too - but I'm hoping for something new not only in terms of performance and cinematics, but interactivity as well.  When will we get proper virtual reality back - along with Craig Charles.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzF56tGYSg  (I know I posted this before but its so good, heh)
<message edited by choupolo on Dec 25, 2008 15:45>
the_shadowwolf

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 15:36
immortaldanmx

do you seriously think that the next PS and Xbox will only be as powerful as a PC today? PC gaming is dying, tech companies think so, sales point to it, developers are preparing for it.

Agent Ghost

Bullshit.

What do you think the hardware in consoles is based on?  It's based on PC hardware.  The GPU in the PS3 was taken straight from a Nvidia GPU on the market.  The GPU in the 360 was an mid range chip a modified ATI design.  The CPU in the 360 was based on IBMs Power processors.  Nintendo used the same sources for it's chips. 

Computer hardware is still advancing at a very rapid rate
.  At the same time the power envelope is increasing.  Meaning the highest end are using more power than ever.  This is a problem for consoles, as well as the cost of the components.  No one will ever put ultra high-end components in a console.  The PS3 and 360 were not even top of the line when they were released.  The GTX 280 alone consumes more power than an Xbox 360 or PS3. 

Even if PC gaming is dying, console hardware is still based on the hardware from computers.  

Profit margins on computer hardware are shrinking because the cost of manufacturing is increasing.  You can't double the transistor count every year or two without this affecting the cost.  PC enthusiasts don't give a fuck, if the best videocard costs 700$, there will be people to buy it simply because it's the best.  But don't expect console manufacturers to take the same chip and put it in a 400$ console.  Don't forget that a console has many components, not just a gpu.  I doubt MS or Sony will do what they did this gen and offer a console at such a huge loss.  I still expect something great, but not much compared to a high end gaming rig.

You are wrong Dan. Ghost is 99.9% accurate.
Consoles are derived from computer hardware.
immortaldanmx

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 15:42
the_shadowwolf

immortaldanmx

do you seriously think that the next PS and Xbox will only be as powerful as a PC today? PC gaming is dying, tech companies think so, sales point to it, developers are preparing for it.

Agent Ghost

Bullshit.

Computer hardware is still advancing at a very rapid rate
.  At the same time the power envelope is increasing.  Meaning the highest end are using more power than ever.  This is a problem for consoles, as well as the cost of the components.  No one will ever put ultra high-end components in a console.  The PS3 and 360 were not even top of the line when they were released.  The GTX 280 alone consumes more power than an Xbox 360 or PS3. 

You are wrong Dan. Ghost is 99.9% accurate.
Consoles are derived from computer hardware.

Holy shit!!! Really?!!

Maybe youre too illiterate to read. Did I say console hardware didnt come from computer hardware? Maybe I misread my own post. I said it wont matter as much anymore because consoles will be the lead platform for most major games.

Get off Agents dick and get your own opinion, or at least know what I said to begin with.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 25, 2008 15:57
Agent Ghost

Does it really matter if people buy them or not?  They still exist.  They allow us to use higher settings and run the games faster. 

Even in 2005 the best hardware was above what we have in the 360 or PS3.  The software wasn't there yet but the hardware existed.  I could take a high end PC from '05 and use it to run Crysis.  Crysis would run better on the PC I had 3 years ago than it would on a PS3 or 360.  I'm not even sure if you could make Crysis recognizable on current consoles.  These consoles have decent GPUs but they don't have good CPUs or memory configurations.

In the past, PC was the lead development platform (well it was segmented).  Now we're seeing a console being used as the lead platform.  In the future it simply won't matter.  Once consoles cross a minimum benchmark they won't be the bottleneck they are today.  The ideal is to be able to develope games for the PC and press a button for compatibility with the consoles without having to shave content or graphics.  We've somewhat seen that this gen but once you remove RAM constraints of the consoles we'll see much more impressive games (not just graphically).

I just hope Sony and MS don't come out with any fucked up hardware choices for the next gen.

One game.  PC gaming does not equal crysis.  And no it would not run well in 2005, geforce 8 wasn't even out, best you could do is 7950GX2x2 and it would still run like shit with that, it still runs like shit today and doesnt even look that good, actually.

<message edited by emofag on Dec 25, 2008 16:03>
the_shadowwolf

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 26, 2008 01:33
immortaldanmx

Holy shit!!! Really?!!

Maybe youre too illiterate to read. Did I say console hardware didnt come from computer hardware? Maybe I misread my own post. I said it wont matter as much anymore because consoles will be the lead platform for most major games.

Get off Agents dick and get your own opinion, or at least know what I said to begin with.

Immortaldanmx you are a fucking MORON.
You have plagued these forms too long with your obsessive lack of respect for others and to kikizo's terms of use.
Shut the fuck up.
Your problem is you lack the understanding to accept other's opinions.
You think you are so smart and when someone puts you in your place you change your angle and say " maybe youre too illiterate"
First up it is you are  or shortened (abbreviated) you're...you missed out the apostrophe.
Maybe you should take that stick out of your ass and stop being such a jackass.
I am fed up with your bullshit.
Go fucking outside for once in your life, leave the computer alone. Talk to people just like you do here on the forums and i guarantee someone would knock your fucking head off.

Bottom line: End your offensive ways, start respecting other persons comments/ opinions and don't fuck with me.

Happy Holidays 

<message edited by the_shadowwolf on Dec 26, 2008 01:36>
immortaldanmx

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 26, 2008 04:19
Or you could blow my cock. You're no one on these forums. Pointing out an apostrophe when you clearly cant read what I said. Agent is intelligent and knows what he's talking about. You, on the other hand, quoted someones entire post, which you most likely have no clue about.

I didn't know they had computers in the Caribbean for people other than the paying tourists. Not once have you displayed an understanding for the videogame industry and what drives sales, so your opinion is invalid in this argument. You've never posted a single insightful opinion, and are now displaying extreme butthurtism over being told to shut the fuck up by someone who has been here way longer than you.

Not once did I say console hardware didn't come from computer hardware, so maybe you should try to read what we were even talking about. Reading, do they teach that in the Caribbean? I thought all you guys really had to learn was how to carry tourists bags and work on a cruise ship.
Agent Ghost

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 26, 2008 07:05
Happy holidays everyone. 
immortaldanmx

Re:Wii graphics too garbage for TV - Dec 26, 2008 15:45
Agent Ghost

Happy holidays everyone. 

I love you too, cutie.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327