Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 09 Wont suck like 08
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 61 to 80 of 84
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 02:18
Eddie_the_Hated

Destructible environments.

That could be accomplished last gen.

And destructible envronment are far more gameplay altering and visually appealing in other genres.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 06:04
emofag

Eddie_the_Hated

And destructible envronment are far more gameplay altering and visually appealing in other genres.

Destructible Environments play a crucial part in the DOA series since DOA2, and they still manage to make it more appealing than most games in other genres.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 12:38

But rarely was...

You need to look at developer trends as well, when you're talking about generational gaps. Console shooters have significantly evolved since the last generation, simply in the fact that developers have begun to use ironsight and regenerative health systems. They coulda' done it last generation, but rarely did.

In the console market anyhow. PCs obviously don't follow a generational timeline.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 15:50
I think regenerative health should be used very very carefully, its fucked up in most games., mostly those that pride themselves with being realistic!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 16:08
Fuck realism.  If I wanted real, I'd get an M16 and shoot up a police station.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 16:23
i dont want it to necesarily be real! I just find games to easy! you pop out take 2-4 bullets hide a bit and run along, you dont really have to be careful.

Accesesibility is making a lot of games to easy. Its been awhile since iv played a hard game (with the exception of Ninja Gaiden 2)
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 14, 2008 23:36
choupolo

It's fundamentally the same template, of course - beat the crap out of somebody, rinse and repeat - but let's not pretend developers have simply been reskinning the same mechanics for each fresh iteration.

All this rests upon a false distinction, anyway - "gameplay" and "graphics" are slippery terms, deployed by reviewers mainly for the sake of convenience, and arguably impossible to consider in isolation from one another. I can tell how close to a knockout my opponent is in Fight Night 3 from the state of his face - is that a graphical element, or a gameplay element, or a little of both?

Valid but d'you think the new visual style in SFIV really adds anything to SF in general?  I dunno if they can get much better than the Alpha series imo.

I used to love fighting games, but haven't bought one since Capcom vs SNK 2.  For me it really just comes down to the fact that I can't be bothered to constantly re-learn new combos for each new fighter that comes out, when essentially I'm playing the same basic fighting mechanic I was 10 years ago.

My personal take on the Street Fighter series is that Capcom made The Perfect Game with number 2, thereby comprehensively buggering themselves up the arse as far as sequels are concerned ;) My knowledge of the fourth doesn't extend much beyond the visuals and new characters, but isn't there another layer of super moves/counters to bolster the existing move-sets?

Again, I think the fighting genre is actually quite diverse once you look past the shared emphasis on Fucking somebody's Shit up. You've got the holy trinity - Dead or Alive (all about reversals, easy), Tekken (all about combos, intermediate) and Virtua Fighter (all about "technique", ball-breakingly hard); Soul Calibur which is equal parts speed and reach; weird little oddities like Square's Bushido Blade and Erghiez; the 2D genre at large...
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 00:17
You can say whatever you want but the fact remains: youre whittling away at his health bar in  a confined space with no character development or progression. And the whole premise of fight games pisses me off, why doesnt a character just decide to buy a gun and be done with it?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 00:57
the same reason someone in a UFC match doesn't buy a gun and be done with it duh
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 02:56

the same reason someone in a UFC match doesn't buy a gun and be done with it duh
I could beat a UFC fighter's ass if he fought by their rules and I didn't. They're such bitches. You can kick while on the ground, you can't choke, you can't punch in the throat, etc. The only rule I would ever apply to a fight is no foreign objects and no low-blows.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 03:29
mastachefbkw

I could beat a UFC fighter's ass if he fought by their rules and I didn't. They're such bitches. You can kick while on the ground, you can't choke, you can't punch in the throat, etc. The only rule I would ever apply to a fight is no foreign objects and no low-blows.

There are no rules in a fight.

And Loco, UFC is a competition in the real world. Emphasis on real.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 03:35
immortaldanmx

mastachefbkw

There are no rules in a fight.

And Loco, UFC is a competition in the real world. Emphasis on real.

no duh

Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 09:32
You can say whatever you want but the fact remains: youre whittling away at his health bar in  a confined space with no character development or progression.

This = 85-90% of console games in existence, including the majority of shooters. Describe anything in a sentence and you can make it sound dull.

The great thing about Tekken et al is that the characters "progress" as fast as you do. You start off with basic three button combos and one-shot knockdowns, then gradually pick up stuff like interrupts, guard breaks, etc. There's no artificial set of "levels" you have to advance through in order to unlock more content - everything's there from the get-go, and the only limit is your skill.

Jeez, I'm starting to sound like a regular arcade nut :)

And the whole premise of fight games pisses me off, why doesnt a character just decide to buy a gun and be done with it?

You might as well say that Mario would have an easier time of it if he brought a couple of Uzis along next time Princess Peach gets kidnapped.

I'd quite like to see that happen, actually.
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 12:32
mastachefbkw

Pressing x owns.....

My point, fighting games are more or less the same thing, but have different storylines(which always suck).

Yep the storylines are retarded, the cutscenes are retarded, many of the characters are retarded and the gameplay is extremely limited...

But they're fun to play against friends, and at the end of the day that's what videogames are all about.
emofag

Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 17:39
Chimura

emofag

Eddie_the_Hated

Destructible Environments play a crucial part in the DOA series since DOA2, and they still manage to make it more appealing than most games in other genres.

Exactly, last gen.

Next.
emofag

Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 17:42
Vx Chemical

i dont want it to necesarily be real! I just find games to easy! you pop out take 2-4 bullets hide a bit and run along, you dont really have to be careful.

Accesesibility is making a lot of games to easy. Its been awhile since iv played a hard game (with the exception of Ninja Gaiden 2)

If you want to do something "hard" go do a physical activity and push yourself beyond your limit, lift weights, sports, etc.  Get a life.

If you want to casually have fun when you are bored play a videogame.

emofag

Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 17:44
mastachefbkw

Have you watched some of the older UFC fights? They are fucking brutal, and no you wouldn't last 5 secons with or without rules, kiddie.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 21:14
Originally the UFC had next to no rules.  They didn't even have weight classes.  The creator wanted to discover the best fighter period.  It was beautiful.  It didn't fly well, no one wanted to sponsor the sport so they had to pussy it up for these corporate assholes.  It's still one of the best sports though.   
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 21:53

But they're fun to play against friends, and at the end of the day that's what videogames are all about.
I'll give you that one. I remember playing SF all the time with friends. But I can still get that same enjoyment from playing FPS. I don't have anything against fighting games or people who like them. Its just the people who rave on about how its "teh bestest genrez evar!"
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:09 Wont suck like 08 - Dec 15, 2008 22:03

DOA2

Exactly, last gen.

Next.

You're putting DOA2's destructible environments in the same league as Battlefield: Bad Company, or COD4's penetrable environments? Heh.

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 61 to 80 of 84

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message