The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC)

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
  • Reward points : 0
The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 03, 2008 00:25
My experience with tomb raiders since it has landed on the PS2 was horrible. Thank god Eidos decided to change the studio to save the franchise. Last year I enjoyed very much tomb raider anniversary, a game I gladly finished and since then I wanted for more. 
Tomb Raider Underworld is much prettier and seems to be designed for this generation without the hooks of previous platforms and it shows. The engine is beautiful and well optimized on PC, it shows vast and colorful areas with good textures, effects and great enemies models, and should I mention this is the greatest Lara model so far. I also loved the zen fairy music in the level, it matches the mood perfectly along with great sound effects .
The game starts on your yacht and we all have seen that demo on videos. Lara controls just right, from cliff to cliff with good animations until I reached the road that leads to the temple. I haven’t been bothered with a wacky movement and I like that fast grip implemented since tomb raider legend. However, the camera wasn’t bright as you should in some few occasions guess where to jump. This problem gets bad when those first three tigers appear and they try to surround you, the camera do not zoom out making it impossible to see from where their claws are coming. Making things worse, lara isn’t really a fast jumper so the best way to deal with them is to eliminate them from far away, once they are very close things get ugly. Lara movements are well animated except that atrocious rag doll death animation which should be eliminated asap. I have no idea how developers could leave it there, they certainly could do better in that area… Well, perhaps it does not matter when you are dead anyway. 
Later in the level, you will need to solve a simple puzzle based on observations; few jumps from right to left and you’ll get done with the demo.
I liked what I played and I’m definitely eager to play the game, you truly feel like Indiana Jones in those ruins. Graphics, sound , control it’s all great. Too bad camera problem rears its ugly head on some instances and I wish Lara could jump a bit faster. Oh And let me take a shit on that ragdoll animation when you’re dead.

The game was tested on a ati 4870, q6600 3ghz, 4gb.
All details max, 8AA, 16AF , 1440*900 (very few micro stuttering observed) 
Using xbox360 controller  
Average FPS 75

Listen to the wise

killemoff
  • Total Posts : 173
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 09, 2008 02:37
Just tried the demo, and it's like you said, the camera is mess, specially in combat. I won't be looking forward to this game if this isn't fixed by launch.

Basically, in combat the camera is way too close and following anything beyond what's right in front of you is an herculean task. During exploration it can make things worse too, with shoddy camera angles obscuring the way forward.

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 09, 2008 06:25
Wow, Killemoff. Your post just killed the thread, literally. What are you posting with?

Anyway, I feel like this is a waste. CD could be making Legacy of Kain games instead of Tomb Raider rehash number 20. Laura Croft isnt, and will never be again, the iconic character she was. And the people that liked her character in the first place were lonely virgins excited by PS1 pixelated titties.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

immortaldanmx
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 09, 2008 06:26
Seriously, quit posting with whatever youre using. My post is now up there copulating with yours, and it looks weird.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 09, 2008 06:50
what are you talking about?
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 09, 2008 18:16

what are you talking about?
Look at killemoff's post(s). It takes his post and combines it with whoever posts next for some reason.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 10, 2008 09:14
immortaldanmx

Wow, Killemoff. Your post just killed the thread, literally. What are you posting with?

Anyway, I feel like this is a waste. CD could be making Legacy of Kain games instead of Tomb Raider rehash number 20.

Soul Reaver 3 would be awesome.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 10, 2008 13:16
man that story got confusing

immortaldanmx
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 10, 2008 20:52
Silentbomber

man that story got confusing

The Legacy of Kain stories?

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 12, 2008 02:18
killemoff those dual post screens is still awesome. I don't know how you do it but it's wicked.

As for the TR: Underworld, i have high expectations for this title and again this would definitely put back a shine in Laura's life and Eidos's pockets.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

immortaldanmx
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 12, 2008 09:41
the_shadowwolf

killemoff those dual post screens is still awesome. I don't know how you do it but it's wicked.

As for the TR: Underworld, i have high expectations for this title and again this would definitely put back a shine in Laura's life and Eidos's pockets.

Thats not a dual post screen, thats my most and his doing what Torrs mom does for a Klondike Bar.

BUTTFREAK
  • Total Posts : 85
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 13, 2008 15:40
I don't understand wut u guys are talkin about but its all good peolpe.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 13, 2008 16:11
Hahahaha... holy fuck!

You're like an even more retarded version of MikayD!

immortaldanmx
Re:The official Tomb Raider Underworld, Demo first impressions (PC) - Nov 13, 2008 16:48
The universe just collapsed due to that possibility.

Thankfully Torrs mass grants him a reverse black hole effect which saved us from this guys stupidity.