Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 30, 2008 19:11
Edge is reporting that Atari will publish Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.  Plus these interesting notes:

Assault on Dark Athena was originally planned as a straight remake of Escape from Butcher Bay, however today Atari announced the game would include an all-new “full-length campaign” along with the original remake. It has also emerged that the game will include online multiplayer features.

Good news for Riddick fans, and it seems to run counter to the previous perception that this iteration of Atari would be focusing more on casual games.

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 30, 2008 19:31
I cant wait, I loved the Original. Dont expect good sales with a failing publisher like atari behind the game though.

Edit:
Also it seems theyve picked up Ghostbusters, the other promising game that got dropped due to the Activions/Vivendi merger. LINK
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Oct 30, 2008 19:46>
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 30, 2008 21:31
This is just a remake of the original plus multiplayer, right?

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 31, 2008 01:25

Yay.

I hope they keep the main menu user interface the same.  One of the best ever, I think.

I think it's awesome that there's a remake of the original.  I would totally play through it again.

mastachefbkw

This is just a remake of the original plus multiplayer, right?

Mastachef, you really should read the post by Zoy.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 31, 2008 02:01

Assault on Dark Athena was originally planned as a straight remake of Escape from Butcher Bay, however today Atari announced the game would include an all-new “full-length campaign” along with the original remake. It has also emerged that the game will include online multiplayer features.

I've read all I need to. My verdict's locked in.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 31, 2008 02:20
i'm a fan of the original game , i think it's a fantstic game, and really glad to hear this news, but what really worries me is the fact that vivendi let it go !  why would a publisher let an AAA title go to a competitor ? i don't think it's a money problem from vivendi . Therefore, they have probably evaluated the game in its early stage (hopefuly) and judged it's not worth it.

i hope i'm wrong i trust starbreeze but i can't chase this thought.
Listen to the wise

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 31, 2008 02:34
The game wasnt dropped in its 'early' stages . The game is supposedly finished .
  [image]http://gdpit.com/avatars_pictures/animated/gdpit_com_45464555_806.gif[/image]

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 31, 2008 03:50
Abasoufiane

i'm a fan of the original game , i think it's a fantstic game, and really glad to hear this news, but what really worries me is the fact that vivendi let it go !  why would a publisher let an AAA title go to a competitor ? i don't think it's a money problem from vivendi . Therefore, they have probably evaluated the game in its early stage (hopefuly) and judged it's not worth it.

i hope i'm wrong i trust starbreeze but i can't chase this thought.

It had nothing to do with the game quality.  When they merged they only were able to keep a certain  number of titles. Brutal Legend, Ghost Busters and Riddick werent cut because they werent shaping up, they were cut b/c they wouldnt sell as well as the games they kept.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Atari picks up Riddick for 2009 release - Oct 31, 2008 19:00
anyway i wasn't talking as a fact , i just said "probably" ,  but you have a very interesting point. let's hope for the best.

and 2pac, who told you the game is finished ?! for all i know that game disappeared without a trace until it shows up again with ONE screen. 
Listen to the wise