World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 77 of 77
immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 11:44
Nitro

I haven't and won't be playing this until it come out, but i think some of you are looking at it the worng way. I don't see it as competition for CoD4, i see it as a compliment to it because they're so closely related.

Related? CoD4 is not the cousin or brother of fail. Gears 2 will shit all over this, hell Far Cry 2 will shit all over this.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 12:36

I haven't and won't be playing this until it come out, but i think some of you are looking at it the worng way. I don't see it as competition for CoD4, i see it as a compliment to it because they're so closely related.

COD5 is COD4s uglier sister.  If I've been fucking the hot one for the last several months and grew tired of her.  I'm not going to turn around and start banging the ugly one.  I'm going to look for a chick that's totally different but also one that's at least at par.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 13:54
Is it really that bad?

Eddie isn't usually far off the mark!?

Kelvinellenton
  • Total Posts : 454
  • Reward points : 0
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 17:06

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 19:22

Is it really that bad? Eddie isn't usually far off the mark!?

It's not horrible but it really is a half ass mod for COD4.  If COD4 never existed and this came out instead or it was priced like an expansion I'd have more respect for it but...

Keep in mind that I'm speaking from my personal viewpoint as a consumers, not as a reviewer.  I speak in terms of my personal desire.  Which takes into account the other games that are coming out in proximity.  I understand they want to release the game on Nov. 11th but shit, that date is going to kill the game.  It's sandwiched between Gears 2 and L4D, ouch.   Not to mention the other games that are coming in Oct./Nov.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 21:36
So, basically, the complaint is that it's not CoD4?

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 21:40
Check your inbox, Masta

Torr
  • Total Posts : 554
  • Reward points : 8100
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 22:44
No the complaint is that if you have a limited budget or limited gaming time then this really shouldn't factor into your purchases, because of the quality.

As for Eddie being off in his judgment of this game, I think he might have exagerated a little, but lets give him time to start to see the flaws of COD5. 

As for my opinion I don't see it as competition to COD4, but I do expect it to at least be on par with COD4, they took a few steps forward in some areas(you now get more create a class slots as you prestige) and then several steps bakward(the animations are muddy, the textures are sub par, and the guns look ugly as sin).  Now all that being said I will prolly buy this game give it a good run then sell it back to gamestop.  I also agree with Agent that if you have a limited budget then there are so many better games coming out this holiday season that its stretching quite a few pockets, and this game is one that can pretty easily be checked off many people list of must haves.

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 23:07
I'm not even factoring budget, everyone has their own budget.  No one needs me to say what's worth their money.  What I am saying is that there's only 24 hours in a day, who has time for this?  If this was offered to me for free, I still wouldn't want it, it's not worth the trip to EBgames.  So mediocre.   If every fps melted together and made brown, it would make Cod5.  There's nothing special or remarkable about this.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 01:53
I got some more time in last night, and played a match with Ghost.

My impressions are always rather charged and, on occasion, a little biased. That's why I like to review as well as write up my first impressions, because nine times out of ten, my opinion about a title dramatically changes over the course of the first few weeks I've got it (Bad Company, CoD:3 Online, Star Wars: TFU et-cetera)

A few of the complaints you guys are making are valid. It's closer to Call of Duty 4.5 than a true sequel, at least as it currently stands, and a lot of the complaints seem to be revolving around this. That's not as bad a thing as Ghost or Torr make it out to sound, but it will turn some people off.

I will state that it won't compare to Gears 2's multiplayer, simply because Treyarch doesn't compare to Epic as a developer. However, I tend not to review games in comparison to others. I think it should be judged on it's own merits, as if Gears, or any of the other November blockbusters weren't launching. It's the same as assigning it a numeric rating as far as I'm concerned.

Now, with that being said, it's at the very least, a $25 multiplayer experience. They'll make or break the title with the campaign.

I have more I want to say on the title, but I'm going to give myself a few more days to really let the weight of it sink in.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Oct 16, 2008 02:02>
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 03:00
Eddie, have you been attempting the challenges with all the weapons? That will show you how pointless a lot of the design choices were, and how shitty the hit detection is.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 03:04
No.

It's on the points-of-interest draft for my review now though. Thanks for bringing it up.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

mastachefbkw
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 03:31
Kevin check your PMs.

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 08:36
mastachefbkw

Kevin check your PMs.

I sent the code

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 13:08

Eddie, have you been attempting the challenges with all the weapons? That will show you how pointless a lot of the design choices were, and how shitty the hit detection is.

I thought it was just me as I haven't played in over a month.  It certainly does not seem as accurate compared to Cod4.  It kinda feels like you're pissing in the wind with these.  Hair pulling when you consider how small the clips are for these guns.  Though it is a Beta so that can still be ironed out.

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Oct 16, 2008 13:11>

mastachefbkw
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 22:25
Kelvinellenton

mastachefbkw

Kevin check your PMs.

I sent the code

Thanks, downloading now

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 16, 2008 23:20
Agent Ghost

I thought it was just me as I haven't played in over a month. It certainly does not seem as accurate compared to Cod4. It kinda feels like you're pissing in the wind with these. Hair pulling when you consider how small the clips are for these guns. Though it is a Beta so that can still be ironed out.

I completely agree with your statement. I have been playing a bit more, and I am finding myself getting frustrated when I am aimed directly at someone and yet half of the clip I unload does not hit the damn guy. This has made it feel as though most people have Juggernaut x3 on as a perk (personally, I wish they would remove this perk altogether).

Maybe a bit more time with the beta will change my mind, but for now COD5 is not at all on my "To Buy" list.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 00:05
Canadagamers post was so true he had to quote himself

BTW, youre PredatoryElk, right?

And aslo, does anyone have a code, possibly 2? Im willing to trade for it.
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Oct 17, 2008 00:09>

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 06:58
Ha, I didn't even realize that I did that.

Yeah, I'm PredatoryElk on Live.

Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 09:41
On an unrelated beta note: Who's in the Resistance 2 US Beta? I'm playing co-op at the moment and it's awesome

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 10:05
Kelvinellenton

On an unrelated beta note: Who's in the Resistance 2 US Beta? I'm playing co-op at the moment and it's awesome

Do the weapons not fail this time? I hated how slow all the weapons felt in 1, even the machine gun fired slow enough to require leading at close range.

On a more related note: I think WaW grew on me a little tonight. I actually got a good connection for most of the night, guess b/c I played before 3AM(-5GMT) before the games are filled with Europeans. Anyway, even with my friend living less than 2 miles away as host the hit detection and weak weapons were still a factor. I guess I'll just wait and see how Gears 2 is holding my attention before I decide to cancel my pre-order or not.

BTW, still looking for any extra codes(preferably 2), willing to trade (any online purchase within a reasonable amount, things of that nature).
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Oct 17, 2008 10:08>

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 10:23
Yeah, they still fire slow... But it's really fun

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 10:33
Kelvinellenton

Yeah, they still fire slow... But it's really fun

Then I guess I wont be getting it. I cant really say I dislike anything about Resistance, its just that it "feels" wrong to me with how slow the weapons are and I didnt like 1 as much as I did Gears or CoD4.

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 17, 2008 12:07

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 25, 2008 21:40
The beta was expanded, with a higher level cap, more weapons, and the inclusion of Hardcore playlists. I held off a few days to reach a reasonable verdict. I'll proofread this when I get home, but I lazed around something fierce with this draft, so I owe it to you all to at least give those who can't play it the general gist.

Call of Duty: World at War

Roughly a year after it's commercially and critically acclaimed predecessor graced us with it's presence, Call of Duty: World at War will hit shelves worldwide, pitting itself against franchise sequels like Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2 and Killzone 2. All are large-budget flagship titles, all have received rave critical preview, and with the exception of Killzone, all have a rabid multiplayer fanbase in their previous renditions.

I stated earlier this week that I would not be judging Call of Duty in relation to it's competition. However, re-examining my previous statement, I found that not only did it not make much sense, it wasn't the best philosophy for review of commercial products of any kind. As a products quality is determined only by the status-quo set before, or alongside it, the necessity is to compare it to previous works, even if they're not named specifically has become apparent to me.

So, with such fierce competition, does it's title alone elevate Call of Duty: World at War to the status of multiplayer heir-apparent? Keep reading to find out.

Maps/Gameplay

Much to the ire of the Call of Duty fanbase at large, the fifth entry into the series hearkens back once more to the turbulent WWII era, this time setting itself primarily in the Pacific, and distant Eastern fronts. Thankfully, the time period a game is set in does little or nothing to effect the mechanics of the multiplayer experience, so for this review's purposes, the era is mostly irrelevant. The setting however is important indeed.

Let me first make note of this. There is nothing particularly wrong with the maps we have been exposed to thus far. They're large, diverse and complex. However, they lack a sense of coherence; a flow if you will. Even if you had never played the game in your life, Call of Duty 4 directed you towards the action naturally. You were never far from a firefight, because while the maps were expansive, they weren't daunting, or counterintuitive.

Three multiplayer maps are made available in the Beta. The first is Roundhouse, set in a Russian train-yard, in late afternoon. The map is primarily circular, converging on a roundhouse in the middle of "no man's land". This provides for some of the best action I've experienced thus far. Penetrable cover and an unconventional level design prevent games on  from becoming a campfest. Two tanks are made available, and thanks to some additions to your explosive arsenal, and a more fallible set of weapons, they're just as, if not more engaging than in Call of Duty 3.

The next map is a Pacific village. This is the only map in the beta set at night. It's located on a beach providing for an interesting set of low-light conditions (and a serious advantage to those rich enough for a high-contrast LCD, or those content enough with their CRT HD Monitors). It's an interesting showcase for some nifty new effects (floating bodies look pretty slick), but altogether nothing spectacular. The water, despite being better looking than previous renditions, is still as flat and calm as ever, an oddity on a map supposedly located on or around the Pacific. For all the potential it has, as explained earlier, the map suffers from a lack of direction. It's primary focus is the lateral movement across the beach, and only half way through your first match do you notice that there's a hidden inland thicket on the far end of the map, which does little to entertain, and a great deal for campers and stalemate standoffs.

The final level is a traditional Japanese castle. It's a large level, though I feel (and this is something I rarely feel) that it could have been better condensed to meet the needs of a typical Team-Deathmatch oriented shooter. I have yet to play it on Capture the Flag, or Search and Destroy, so I can't comment on how it plays with either of those, but it doesn't seem to be played the way the designers intended.

Apart from the handful of new maps, new perks, and slight discrepancies in control, the game really does play much like Call of Duty 4 in normal playlists. However, about a week into the Beta, they bumped the level cap, and introduced Hardcore playlists into the mix.

If there's a redeeming quality about World at War, it's found in the few hardcore modes made available. Weapons are better balanced, due to a (most of the time) one-shot one-kill damage system. The HUD is far less cluttered (a primary complaint about the CoD series in general), and it's in general, a cleaner-cut, more enjoyable experience altogether. When I take a look at the campaign mode next month, that'll definitely be the only mode I'll be participating in.

Controls
Because World at War is running on the Call of Duty 4 engine, the controls have basically remained untouched from the last ieteration. Your down-the-sight aim speed has decreased significantly, as has your stride-length when you're in down-the-sight mode. Hit detection can be rather wonky, similar to how the Barret Light Fifty was in four. Instead of going into great detail, I'll just be upfront. Don't use bolt-actions unless you're in hardcore mode. It's not worth it.

Graphics
World at War is, unsurprisingly, a mixed bag.

The Good
Good bad or otherwise, the game has brand new maps. One of the greatest setbacks to the Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer experience was the lack of developer support for new maps. With a fanbase as rabid as they had, it was a shame we didn't see more post-release support, and this should bring a breath of fresh air into those who hop on over to five.

Solid environment and weapon modeling, well applied depth-of-field and improved ragdoll/animation integration, and a few nifty filters all give the game a truly cinematic look.

The framerate is just as solid as previous Call of Duty games.

The Bad
The positives are offset by the mediocre weapon/hand textures, and clunky animation. The color palette will be subjective to taste of course, however levels don't have the "realistic" look found in four. As stated in my preview, it's very much a Treyarch game, and it shows. I've decided to list this under cons, because realistically speaking, Call of Duty fans still want to feel familiar with the style of environment, even if the locales are different.

Faces are less detailed, as are character models in general. Explosions aren't as lackluster as some, but are certainly nowhere near fantastic. While generally speaking, the modeling and MOA for the firearms are of higher quality than previous Call of Duty's, it's obscured by the distractingly average textures.

Most games would only require a few more months in the oven, but after their second attempt in the same series, I'm beginning to think it's about talent. Adjusting for advances in engine and technology, Call of Duty: World at War isn't anywhere near on par with the advances that were made when Treyarch developed 3.

Sound
Firearm and explosive noises have all been re-recorded, and they sound better than ever. Creative license has been taken with some weapons, primarily in how they sound with a flash-hider and suppressor, but I have no real complaints in that regard. If there was music present in World at War, it certainly didn't stand out. Any tunes that were present would have been overridden by the ridiculous voice acting.

The vocal talent.... well... let's just say it hasn't grown on me. As much as I like 24, nobody sounds as intense as the Americans in World at War, all the time, even Keifer Sutherland. Also, cultural stereotypes run abound. The Japanese spend a good majority of their quips talking about honor, the German  have Hitler proselytizing , and the Americans...

"Out-fucking-standing! We kicked ass!"

The lack of cultural nuance is disappointing. It's 2008, and the tired old 1999 Medal of Honor stereotypes just aren't going to cut it if you're going to make an interesting and engaging environment to play in.

Conclusion
On occasion, a game will come around that equals far more than the sum of it's parts. The majority of it's flaws and setbacks can be overlooked because of some higher redeeming quality.

Sadly, this game is not one of those titles. The entire experience can be summed up in one word.

"Average."

The game is average. Totally unspectacular. Nothing too bad, but nothing too good. Very little truly stands out, and that's what kept me from finishing this review. It's what's kept the review short. It's what kept me from playing this more than the other titles in my library, and ultimately, I believe it is what will keep the hardcore Call of Duty fanbase from jumping ship. Had this game been released during the summer game drought, it would have been received better reception from the fans, but it just doesn't have enough going for it as of right now.

The game was developed as a console shooter, in the World War II genre. Now, if there was any flooded market in the software industry, that requires a title to stand out of the crowd to succeed, it's this one, and they just haven't brought enough to the table to warrant a purchase.

If you'd like another relatively-fresh multiplayer fix for a few months, you're still crossing your fingers with the campaign, you have spare money lying around, and don't have to chose between this, and anything else launching this Christmas season (So... If you're Nitro). I'd suggest a purchase. For everybody else? Play a demo, then rent it, or just skip it alltogether.

This is two for two Treyarch. Better luck next time.

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 25, 2008 23:10
Please dont say 'better luck next time'. Treyarch is a mediocre developer, and shouldnt be allowed to keep raping my beloved CoD series.

Activision has gone completely to shit. Theyre what the old EA was. EA makes a turn-around with actual improvements to their sports games, Battlefield, Burnout, Dead Space, and upcoming Mirrors Edge. Activision, on the other hand, is pushing out shit like Secret Service: Ultimate Sacrifice, Licensed games, Guitar Hero spin-off number 12 (based on a shitty band at that), and bastardizing their best series'.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 26, 2008 04:08
...And now there's zombies, I guess.

Sorry, it's Kotaku, but it's better than sitting through an entire episode of GameTrailers TV I suppose.

If I weren't reviewing the single-player, I wouldn't have bothered renting the game at all until I read this.

I suppose if you're not planning on getting Left 4 Dead, it could be an interesting diversion. I personally didn't play much CoD4 arcade mode, save for beating everybody's Mile High Club score, but I have a feeling some people will find it entertaining.

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 26, 2008 04:24
Aahhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiit.  To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Nah, I'll just get two version of L4D (PC and 360)
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Oct 29, 2008 22:42>

mastachefbkw
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 26, 2008 17:45
The special edition has a gigantic box. That's enough reason for me to buy it.

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 29, 2008 20:47
Anyone want a PC beta code? I have one and could really care less after playing the 360 Beta.

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 30, 2008 14:35
Wow, this isn't a very good game... I tried the beta for a couple of hours yesterday... I got bored and started playing Far Cry 2 and Resistance 2.

The Thompson is overpowered and the right choice if you want to actually kill someone. The dogs are annoying but easy to avoid by going into the water. The reconplane apparently sees through walls, which is just stupid.

The only posivitive things I can say is that it's like CoD4 and I like the artillery. That's it

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 30, 2008 19:33
Kelvinellenton

Wow, this isn't a very good game... I tried the beta for a couple of hours yesterday... I got bored and started playing Far Cry 2 and Resistance 2.

The Thompson is overpowered and the right choice if you want to actually kill someone. The dogs are annoying but easy to avoid by going into the water. The reconplane apparently sees through walls, which is just stupid.

The only posivitive things I can say is that it's like CoD4 and I like the artillery. That's it

You played a shooter on PS3 over CoD? Im disappointed with WaW also, but FPS on a Sony controller = fail.

No takers for the PC Beta code?
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Oct 30, 2008 20:07>

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 30, 2008 20:52
Well, I like the PS3 controller... I've gotten use to the controller

mastachefbkw
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 30, 2008 21:34

So...you're saying that you're crippled from the wrist down?

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 30, 2008 21:39
immortaldanmx

Kelvinellenton

You played a shooter on PS3 over CoD? Im disappointed with WaW also, but FPS on a Sony controller = fail.

No takers for the PC Beta code?

I'll take it I guess.  Probably won't play it a ton, since I have Fallout 3.   :)

"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 30, 2008 21:59
nevermind, they still give you new ones if you just sign up, so I got one.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 31, 2008 03:51
mastachefbkw

So...you're saying that you're crippled from the wrist down?

Hand perma-clawed.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 77 of 77