World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 77
Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
World at War - Review P4 - Wait... did they say zombies? - Oct 11, 2008 16:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMTEw6mgj8

They have a high-quality setting, but it's still YouTube.

Let me know if anybody's picked up a spare key. I'm going to try to reserve a copy of the game today, see if I can't still get in, but it may be too late.

Edit: I'm in.

My initial impressions half way down page two.

Edit:

Review, followed by an enormous "what the fuck" on page 4.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Oct 26, 2008 04:05>
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 12, 2008 20:36
Bump.

I'm in the Beta. Initial impressions tomorrow evening. Full review of the beta in about a weeks time when I've had a nice long sit-down with it. Post if you've got it, as well as your gamertag, if I don't already have you added.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 12, 2008 21:11
yeah well, the lions still lost.  sucker.

You just add &fmt=18 to the end of the URL to make youtube videos high quality.  Opera does it automatically for me.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 04:31
The only people who bet on the Lions are confused out-of-towners. The Red Wings are where it's at baby!

Opera does it automatically for me.

Browser snob. [:P]

Anyhow. I can't seem to get my code redeemed. I'll try tomorrow more in-depth, but that is irksome, as I was hoping to have impressions by tomorrow night. I might still do a play and write, but they won't be as complete as they would be otherwise.

...I'm hearing some very interesting things from friends though. Apparently it's very similar to CoD4.

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 04:43
I pre-ordered and am still waiting for my code.

And Opera? Its people like you that fail. Fail hard.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 06:00
I respect people who use IE more than I do Opera.

locopuyo
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 06:51
foxtrot is for nubs blinded from all the sperm covering their eyes after baiting to open source

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 06:56
COD5 has campaign co-op with up to four players.  I'd be interested in buying this if I wasn't already buying 7 games in the next two months.  
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

locopuyo
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 07:47
I'll get it.  It looks like it is just a COD4 WWII mod.  Multiplayer should be good, the war gametype was awesome in COD5, I'm also glad they have CTF in there.  The gametypes in COD4 were okay but the only one I really liked was team death match.  I'll probably play War, CTF and DM in this.  I don't have high hopes for the campaign, but with 4 player co-op it's hard for it not to be fun enough to play through at least once.

Kelvinellenton
  • Total Posts : 454
  • Reward points : 0
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 08:47
Eurogamer is going to give out European CoD:WaW beta codes in an hour or so for anyone interested...

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 08:49
I'll probably play the PC version more than the console version. The PC version of CoD4 is superb so i'm hoping 5 turns out just as good.

The 3-kill dog perk looks badass.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 16:11
You get the dogs at 7.

...and they respawn when you kill them!

Nitro
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:11
What do you get at 3 and 5 then?

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:27
Eddie_the_Hated

You get the dogs at 7.

...and they respawn when you kill them!

For some reason my last two attempts to enter this message have been relegated to the digital ether.  So forgive me if they suddenly reappear somehow...  but I am wondering, where do the dogs appear from? 

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:35
"Recon Plane (3 Kills):

Kill three enemies without dying and you are given the ability to call in a recon plane to mark enemies temporarily on your radar map. The only enemies that won't appear are ones using the Reconnaissance perk.

Artillery Strike (5 Kills):

Kill five enemies without dying and you are given the ability to call in an artillery strike. This is very similar to the Airstrike command in COD4, however, instead of a line of bombs going off, the area in which you select for the drop is completely obliterated in a long series of cannon fire.

Unleash the Dogs (7 Kills):

Kill seven enemies without dying and you enable the ability to call in attack dogs, which will sniff out any enemies on the map. Unlike COD4, attack dogs will find you regardless of where you hide, making it exceedingly difficult to avoid them. Furthermore, killing the attack dogs will only save you temporarily as the hounds will respawn if killed until their time/kill limit has expired."

http://www.psu.com/Call-of-Duty--World-at-War-Kill-Streaks-revealed--a0004941-p1.php

"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:38
I have a beta code for CoD5 if anyone is interested?

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:50
If it's for 360 I want.

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:52
I've sent it to you

Edwin
  • Total Posts : 658
  • Reward points : 6855
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 18:58
Eurogamer is going to give out European CoD:WaW beta codes in an hour or so for anyone interested..

Wait, what the -

Those cheeky swine. They must have pinched the 20,000 we ordered out of the back of Adam's car.

WHEN WILL WE CATCH ONTO THEIR TRICKS

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 19:00
Edwin

Eurogamer is going to give out European CoD:WaW beta codes in an hour or so for anyone interested..

Wait, what the -

Those cheeky swine. They must have pinched the 20,000 we ordered out of the back of Adam's car.

WHEN WILL WE CATCH ONTO THEIR TRICKS

Scallywags

Johnny Jiron
  • Total Posts : 434
  • Reward points : 5360
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 19:39
I got my code and downloading it right now. I'll see whomever on there later tonight.

Eurogamer ran out within the hour. I'm trying to get 2 more for my friends.

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 19:45
Johnny Jiron

I got my code and downloading it right now. I'll see whomever on there later tonight.

Eurogamer ran out within the hour. I'm trying to get 2 more for my friends.

I managed to get three from Eurogamer... Agent got one and my two xbox-owning friends gets the other ones

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 19:50
Thanks Kevin.

EDIT: I figured it out
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Oct 13, 2008 21:51>

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 13, 2008 21:02
I think there's a slide called Marketplace on the Dashboard where you can press "Redeem code" or something... And that should do it..

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 02:38
Call of Duty: World at War

Full review at the end of the week. This has been three hours of playtime with the beta.

I'll begin with stating that I absolutely like what I see. The basic Call of Duty 4 formula has still held strong, with little to no complications, or muddling of the basic framework. Deciding to use the Call of Duty 4 engine was easily one of the best choices Treyarch could have made.

-Fantastic weapons, well-rendered, all harder-hitting, and better balanced than Call of Duty 4.
-Colorful environments and characters. Though on occasion, the textures may be lacking, the overall polish is far more cinematic than Treyarch's previous installment. Some may not like the "new" style, but I'm enjoying it.
-Weapon add-ons! Red-dot sights have been replaced with glass hairline aperture sights. Suppressors, front grips, bayonets, and extended magazines all make an entry, as well as the return of rifle grenades.
-Perks are still useful, and haven't taken a back-seat by any means.
-Fresh death animation/ragdoll.
-Pistols are actually useful.
-Gore! Fuck yeah! You can blow legs and arms off!
-Rock-solid framerate.

On the downside, I have noticed:

-Less impressive movement animation.
-Less impressive overall audio engineering, despite the vastly improved firearm audio.
-Muddy textures, especially on some rifles..
-A slowdown in movement with SMGs.

Neutral:
-More visually complex maps, providing a more difficult time for campers (though unclear how long the complexity will remain interesting for me).
-The game is very much a Treyarch creation. Though the same engine may be in place, it bears little stylistic resemblance to Infinity Ward, which may be an upsetting sign of the campaign's appearance to some.

If there's anything someone (who didn't get in the beta) wants me to cover in my full writeup, just say the word.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Oct 16, 2008 01:46>

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 14, 2008 02:49
I didn't like it.  If someone gave it to me for free, I still wouldn't play the game.  I'll have C&C3, LBP, Fable 2, Fallout 3, GEARS 2 by the time this comes out.  Not to mention L4D the week after.  Who has time to play this garbage?

I'll be playing the Beta more though.

locopuyo
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 03:29
Eddie_the_Hated

If there's anything someone (who didn't get in the beta) wants me to cover in my full writeup, just say the word.

Are vehicles in the beta?  Tell me about those if they are.  

What are the attack dogs like?  Can you do the COD4 campaign thing where you fight them off, how long does it take them to kill you, how easier are they to kill, how many kills and how long do they last?  

What weapons can you snipe with?  Do you eventually just unlock a scope for certain guns?

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 03:40
Yes.

A bitch. No, you just shoot them. Two bites. Two rounds from a bolt action. Depends on how well people are fighting them off. A long-ass time.

Bolt-actions. You unlock scopes for all bolt actions.

That's the quick version. Details on all that on friday/saturday.

I didn't like it.

Why not?

Agent Ghost
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 14, 2008 04:08
The game feels like a rushed COD4 mod poorly implemented at that.  I played the shit out of COD4, I love the game.  But I don't need to pay for it again just to play in a different setting.  On top of this the maps are fugly,  the animations are broken and shitty, the weapons are gay, the dogs are annoying.  I'd rather see a game more akin to COD3.  This game is useless, useless within the COD franchise and useless within the gaming market.  The idea of buying this a few days after Gears 2 is laughable.

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 04:28
Kelvinellenton

I've sent it to you

I think for this, kevin should get a custom tag. How about it, Adam?

Anyway, Im downloading now, Gamestop fails at giving shit on time. Ive read similar complaints to Agent's post. Ive also read that SMG's and Auto Rifles are over-powered compared to bolt-action. Then again, this is from the typical dregs on the Callofduty.com forums, so who knows.

Torr
  • Total Posts : 554
  • Reward points : 8100
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 07:28
In my opinion everything has been slightly downgraded when they copied the COD4 engine.  Smgs are way overpowered the bolt-action are way underpowered and the fact that I have to deal with the crap sights that the bolt action come with before I can get a sniper scope is ridiculous.  I personally have found the guns to be ugly and very poorly done.  I considered COD4 to have a more crisp real feel to it, on the other side COD5 feels like a bad dream.  I have to agree with agent it feel like a slightly polished WWII mod, and I am disappointed to say the least.  Now that being said I will prolly still buy this game as it has the four-player online co-op(two different modes) and I want to use a FLAMETHROWER, but other then that this game will take a huge backseat to all the other awesome games that are coming out in the next few months.

Johnny Jiron
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 07:31
I'm disliking it as well. With games like Gears and Far Cry and hell even LBP  it just has next to nothing in comparison and it wont get my money. It feels like what CoD3 felt like after CoD 2. Just didnt feel right. it brought in some interersting ideas but its gonna take a better developer to implement them. Treyarch made this and the new spider man game...maybe they put too much on themselves again?
<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Oct 14, 2008 07:32>

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 08:08
Good news for me. one less game to consider!

Kelvinellenton
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 09:15
Vx Chemical

Good news for me. one less game to consider!

Yep, the next months are getting cheaper by the second... But if I manage to get a PC beta key, I'll try it before I make up my mind

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 21:35
How does the glass sight compare to the red-dot? Do you have to unlock it with a certain amount of kills like in CoD4?

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 14, 2008 23:21
It's just as accurate, and you unlock it after a certain number of kills, yeah.

immortaldanmx
Re:World at War Beta Launches [I'm In] - Oct 15, 2008 03:25
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but Im not thrilled by this game. I like it, its not bad, but its not CoD 4. Then again, nothing is. Treyarch has proven time and time again to be a good but not great dev. They do an admirable job, and this would be great if it were a $30 add-on to CoD4.

To sum it up, its a good game, but good wont cut it if youre looking for a 360 game this holiday. Gears 2, Fallout 3, Fable 2 should all be better than this.
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Oct 15, 2008 03:35>

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 04:48
I saw Johnny Jiron playing the beta the other night, and made sure to check my e-mail today, and sure enough there was my beta code!

I guess it's my turn to hop on the bandwagon. I remember when I got into the COD4 beta and playing it for the first time there was just something about it that I liked from the very beginning. From the new setting, to the superb sharpness and fluidity that COD4 offered. When I finally started to play the World at War beta all I kept saying to myself was "no big deal, just COD4 in WWII". From the layout of the menus to the rushed perks, I am not impressed at all. There is nothing at all new to offer here, and it actually made me want to play COD4.

On a side note, I picked up Saints Row 2 today, and placed Fable 2, Fallout 3, and Farcry 2 on pre-order. Have to wait a bit on Dead Space which kinds sucks.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Johnny Jiron
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 09:32
I'm having lotsa fun with Saints 2 and cant wait to start in on Dead Space tomorrow 

Nitro
Re:World at War- Impressions on P2 - Review on Saturday - Oct 15, 2008 09:53
I haven't and won't be playing this until it come out, but i think some of you are looking at it the worng way. I don't see it as competition for CoD4, i see it as a compliment to it because they're so closely related.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 77