Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 CoD afficianados: Activision is going to monetize you
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
CoD afficianados: Activision is going to monetize you - Sep 16, 2008 02:21
Activision is looking to "further monetize" the Call of Duty franchise starting with CoD5.  It sounds like more downloadable content, but some of it seems a bit sketchy...

Infinity Ward-developed CoD4 has paid downloadable maps available ondigital storefronts, but with CoD5, developed by Activision studioTreyarch, downloadable content will be a considerably bigger priority.
Griffith added that Activision "plans to increase onlinemonetization" with CoD5, offering "3x the amount of content availablefor download and premium content called 'Day One Advantage.'"

Hmm... does this mean you can buy your way into perks that others will have to grind in order to achieve?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:CoD afficianados: Activision is going to monetize you - Sep 16, 2008 02:45
I'm skipping COD5, simply because i have enough games coming out this fall/winter.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:CoD afficianados: Activision is going to monetize you - Sep 16, 2008 03:45
Agent Ghost

I'm skipping COD5, simply because i have enough games coming out this fall/winter.

2nd'd. Who wants this garbage when the PS3, 360, and PC all have better FPS's this fall/winter.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:CoD afficianados: Activision is going to monetize you - Sep 16, 2008 03:52
It's the same basic plan as EA's Battlefield strategy. It provides an advantage to people willing to spend money, obviously, but few will, at least in my opinion, not when they know they can get whatever it is for free, a little bit later.

Either way, skill always trumps equipment online. If you're good, and they're not, it doesn't matter how much better their weapon is (this is before hearing any hands on impressions of the supposedly pretty badass flamethrower).

Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
Re:CoD afficianados: Activision is going to monetize you - Sep 16, 2008 08:36
spending money on map packs, that's fine, spending money to get perks quicker, that's just lame.

Not sure how much use the flamethrower will be in MP, its going to be short range, and you can't use it to assault a mobile MP target, its more suited to attacking a sniper who isn't going to move a la single player campaign.

It will be interesting to see how they implement it for the Russian campaign and Russian MP map as the implementation of a flamethrower in an urban environment will be different.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll