Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 15, 2008 19:43
The reason I ask is because I'm buying Baja and this game has me so impressed that I've decided to buy a wheel for it.  I have both a PS3 and 360 so I can get the game on either console.  I've narrowed down my choice of wheels for each console.  The choices are the Wireless racing wheel for 360 (there wasn't much choice) or the Logitech Driving force GT for PS3. 

Which console has and/or will have the best racing games?  Specifically which ones are best with these wheels?  Most racing games don't even support force feedback.  I don't care about games that don't support the wheels properly.  Each console really only has a handful of games that support their respective wheels. 

360 notably has Forza, Test Drive, PGR, all work brilliantly with the wireless wheel, the latter being my favorite racing series. 

PS3 has Motorstorm, F1, Gran Tourismo.  I know the first Motorstorm does not support force feedback (the upcoming sequel should), I don't know about F1 but Gran Tourismo 5 will (the DFGT is designed for the game) but I'm not a big fan of the series.  However, apparently the game is far more enjoyable and playable with the wheel.  Playing Gran Tourismo with a traditional controller is actually pretty retarded.

Another thing to consider is which wheel is actually better.  Both are pretty good wheels that received high praises.  I trust compatibility of the 360 wheel with other games more as its the only serious wheel for the console.  The DFGT on the other hand has a sequential stick where the 360 wheel only has the paddles to shift gears.  Other than that they both seem to be in the same league.

This can all be for nothing as I likely won't even find the DFGT at EB games tomorrow, 360 may win by default.

Whatever, what do you guys think?  Which console is the best racing platform with the use of a wheel?

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Sep 15, 2008 19:54>
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 15, 2008 20:27
The Logitech wheel is the better of the two wheels, but the M$ wheel is still quite good.  I have it and have really enjoyed using it, especially with Forza 2 and the PGR games.  Test Drive didn't seem to me to utilize it very well; it had a huge deadzone no matter how I adjusted it.  Forza has no deadzone whatsoever and is really fun with the wheel.  With the force feedback, you can really feel your car shifting on its suspension.  PGR is a blast.  The rumble is used much more aggressively than in Forza.  I played the Dirt demo with the wheel and it worked pretty well, but the problems I had with it are due to the way the cars in Dirt hinge on a central point instead actually on their tires.  I too was a bit dismayed by the paddle-type shifters instead of a stick, but I found them easy to adapt to. 

Motorstorm to me is the only big thing you'd be missing out on by going with the 360 for the racing wheel.  Gran Turismo isn't really a factor at this point and there's no telling when it'll actually materialize.  GT Prologue is a pretty cynical product if you ask me.  I think Forza has caught up with the GT series and surpassed it in some regards, with the exception of GT having a slight graphical edge. 

You're really that convinced about Baja from previews?  Is there a demo available that I haven't heard about?  Not that I can play it right now having joined the RROD masses.... 
<message edited by Zoy on Sep 15, 2008 20:31>
Agent Ghost

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 15, 2008 22:20
I wish I could say I played a demo but the game seems to have so many things that I want in a racing game.  I think they finally nailed all the best traits of what an off road sim racer should contain. 

Things that look promising about Baja:

-The way the cars handle.  They don't look like they handle cheap and easy like Pure but not too difficult like Gran Tourismo.  The cars look like they handle like they should.  The sort of balance that PGR has.  It stays in the middle ground without falling in any pitfalls of either sim or arcade.
-Long non closed circuit roads.  No driving laps in circles.
-Wide variety of race types, shorter races as well as marathon races that can hours.
-Tons of content both in terms of vehicles and unique track.
-Meaningful customization, upgrades.
-Clever sponsorship system where if you loose a piece of your vehicle which contains a corporate logo you lose money. 
-Adaptive AI, supports auto pilot which is genius for these long races.
-Multiplayer
-Appears to have full support for racing wheels.  Just not sure which ones.  Although the 360 wireless racing wheel was seen used in a demonstration for the 360 version. 

People aren't impressed with the graphics and they certainly are not in the same league as Motorstorm or PGR3/4 but they are much better in motion than the screenshots let on, first person mode looks sweet.  I'm always wiling to overlook small sacrifices in the graphics department when a game offers the specific gameplay qualities that I look for.  This one has them.  I've never been this interested in a new racing game before now.  Actually I just remember that it's not coming out tomorrow, fuck.  It's Warhead that comes out tomorrow.  Baja is next week :(

My only real grip so far from the looks of it is that the cars seem to loose cohesion with the road when you travel too fast, it's exaggerated.  There are several times in the previews where you see the vehicles bounce around like they're too light, then you see them take these huge jumps and crumble in pieces when they land.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36573.aspx

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Sep 15, 2008 22:53>
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 16, 2008 00:48
Think you've answered this for yourself already.  GT5:P is a rip off for what you get, then you need to pay again for the full game when it eventually gets here.  360 has Forza and PGR series.

The GT wheel does look cooler though!
Agent Ghost

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 16, 2008 01:37
Yeah the wheel itself is important as well as how each version of Baja uses it's respective wheel.  No other racing game is compelling enough to persuade me to buy a wheel for a console.  I'm only considering this because both support PC.  The other games are not that important to me.  At the same time I intend to use the wheel (whichever one I get) for PC.  So for me it's worth getting the DFGT if its really that much better, even if that means I have to go without PGR 3/4.  The only thing with the DFGT is that I don't know how well Baja (PS3) will support it, if at all.  Assuming I can find the thing in the first place.

There's a third option which is the G25.  This thing is seriously badass.  A bit more expensive, but when you're spending 150$, what's $80 more dollars?  This is easily the ultimate in gaming wheels, the only problem is that the PS3 support is flaky at best, it's really meant for PC.  If Baja fully supports the G25, it will look very tempting.  If not, it's not even an option.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 16, 2008 01:44
Logitech pwns everything
Zoy

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 16, 2008 02:15
Shit, my bad.  I was thinking that was the G25 you were talking about in the original post.  I haven't tried that GT wheel so I can't compare it to the M$ wheel.
Agent Ghost

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 16, 2008 02:23

Shit, my bad.  I was thinking that was the G25 you were talking aboutin the original post.  I haven't tried that GT wheel so I can't compareit to the M$ wheel.

It doesn't matter, it probably is better.  I couldn't find a direct comparison though.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/BAJA_QA_-_THQ_Gamers_Day_08_13062.htm

It looks like the PS3 version does support the G25.    Motha fucka, Christmas is coming early this year.
Agent Ghost

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 25, 2008 05:19
Ok I have both the G25 and Baja for the PS3.

Long story short the G25 is the most badass gaming peripheral on the planet.  The shifter does feel cheap though.  I wish they didn't offer both H shifting and series shifting.  They should have just picked one and made it better quality. 

Baja on the other hand is not badass.  The only thing that kicks ass in this game is the AI.  Unfortunately the ass that it kicks is your own.  I've been playing for four hours (easy mode no less) today and I haven't won a single race.  It's the most frustrating game I've ever played.  Firstly the game does not play well with a wheel.  I spent my time playing with the G25 and the game is just too hard to control with the wheel.  The G25 itself is way too sensitive, a minor movement will translate in a bigger movement in the game which is curious considering the wheel supports 900 degree rotation.  I don't get it, at 45 degrees your doing fucking doughnuts. Anyways being sensitive isn't that problematic except that you have force feedback (the whole appeal of a 200$ gaming wheel).  Imagine driving on a bumpy dirt path and everytime you hit a bump your wheel is jerked in one direction.  Everytime this happens your car spins out of control.  FUCK!  Using a wheel with Baja is totally hopeless.  Making matters worst is that that AI is ridiculously good and raming your car off the track.  They never seem to make mistakes either. 

On the graphics front, Baja is pretty lame.  Freemode looks really horrible for some reason.  I'm guessing it has to do with RAM usage.  However in other modes the graphics aren't as bad as a few reviews have indicated.  Actually they are that bad.  Don't worry though, as you play the game and the AI rips you a new asshole the graphics will be the least of your thoughts. 

Of course this is with the G25.  I tried it with the SIXAXIS a race or two after four miserable hours of using the wheel.  It was significantly easier.  The AI in the game is still cheap but at least you don't feel crippled.  I didn't win these races either but at least I felt like I almost had a fair chance.  I know I can win using a controller, it will just take a few tries. 

Other reviews mention how difficult the game is, and I assumed they were exaggerating, they weren't.  I do remember reading that the first class (VW Beatles) is hell, but afterwards things get much easier.  It won't matter for me because I don't think I will beat the first class.  It's somewhat of a catch 22.  I want to play the game with the wheel as it's more fun but I can't win using it, and thus cannot unlock the real classes.  The game is boring using a controller, all racing games are.

This game is the Ninja Gaiden of racing games.   It's fun, just way too difficult.

I also bought GT Prologue.  Far more enjoyable/playable with the wheel. 

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Sep 25, 2008 05:24>
Zoy

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 25, 2008 18:52
Yeah, I was disappointed to read the reviews rolling in for Baja.  The AI sounds merciless and unfair.  But what about multiplayer, any fun to be found there?
Agent Ghost

Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 25, 2008 23:05
I haven't played multi yet, I'll update this thread this weekend after I have.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 26, 2008 01:17
was gonna come back to advise / mention the G25 wheel. It kills everything out there, MS wheel is a complete joke next to it and it's much better than the GT wheel.

Obviously owning the great PC racing helps to fully get the most outta the G25. 

Obviously a decent cockpit would  do wonders to the experience. 
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Which platform is better for racing games, between the 360 and PS3? - Sep 26, 2008 01:41
I highly recommend GRID for PC.  That game is just awesome.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll