Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 49 of 49
Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 05:08

...so if it doesn't hurt anybody, what's wrong with being drunk?

My analogy only covers the ignorance is bliss common denominator.  I never said there's nothing wrong with being drunk.  Even if I did though, that would have nothing to do with Christianity as the effects are completely different.  However, I consider both to be drugs.  Normally I don't have a problem with a person who enjoys their favorite drug, I'd be a hypocrite if I did.  However, religion is like cigarette smoke, everyone has to breath it, and it's just as addictive as nicotine.  

When people believe in conspiracy theories for example, they feel a rush of satisfaction when they think they understand a higher truth.  The problem is that they don't understand the facts, they lack objectivity and reason to make proper conclusions.  But they still get a high when endorphines flood their brain when they think they're right.  

Just look at these 911 conspiracy theorists.  They can be people of seemingly normal intellect, however they are constantly twisting facts so the story suits their own reality that brings them satisfaction.  Which is that their government is currupt and evil, Hating the Bush party makes them euphoric.  Although that's a bad example because the Bush party is evil, that doesn't mean they caused 911.  Some people are convinced they are, because they watched a convincing video that used false evidence.  People will always be less critical of the view that they already agree with.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0Ms7mId34

Another example are superstitious people.  People who believe in psychics, trot card reading, astrology, lucky charms all fall in the same category.  We both know these things are bullshit, but people believe it because something magical/inexplainable fills in the gaps of the things they don't understand.  The illusion of understanding makes them high.  It's a natural high in the same vein as adrenaline junkies.

Another appeal of the drug of religion is the feeling of power.  We've all been to a sporting event where the whole crowd cheers wildly for their favorite team.  That's a very empowering feeling.  You can be the lonliest weakest and most pathetic person on the planet but in that stadium you feel all the strength of all the fans.  The same thing happens with religion.  I believe this is what these holy wars are about.  There's nothing more dangerous than people who think they are absolutely right and invincible at the same time.   

Religion is worst than things like alcohol because alocoholics will never ban together except in AA meetings trying to quit, nor do drunks claim to have the higher purpose.  Imagine how annoying that would be to the sober.  Someone should make a C.A.
You must hate reading this, a major buzz kill.  At least you did read this.  You're better than most Christians.  Most Christians aren't interested in discussion or debate.  No more than I like it when people dump my drink in the sink when I leave to take a piss.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 16:05

Too far? Hm, I did try to be as respectful and careful as possiblethough. I just wondered and you mentioned that people could askquestions if they wanted.
I don't know rap but isn't it hard tofind that positive rap these days? Compared to before at least whenthere seemed to be a somewhat more "light" atmosphere or sincerepolitical views.[code][/code]

No I wasnt talking about you ys I ment no disrespect.

What did you mean exactly? Lamest, or? Anyway, you seem to really like women judging from what you wrote (zoning in), heh :P

Man your like tiger or something ready to bite a head off. When I said you were the clamest guy on kikizo. Again no disrespect intended I meant your not a hot head.  And yes I am a lesbian and this is by my own admission.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 16:17

. I have a big problem looking at another man woman ( its callesd lust baby)

You have one to begin with?

mikayd2
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 20:09
Yes eddide unlike yourself I enjoy the sweet taste of punane. Try some it will change your life lol.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 21:11
So... you go on a rant in defense of Christianity, and then encourage me to have premarital sex...

...You're not helping my cause here!!!

And anyway, do you want to explain to me why you're getting some from man-women? That was the implied gag.

Religion is worst than things like alcohol because alocoholics willnever ban together except in AA meetings trying to quit, nor do drunksclaim to have the higher purpose.  Imagine how annoying that would beto the sober.  Someone should make a C.A.

...So then, get drunk.

No, that wasn't actually an argument of any real merit.

When negative effects are attributed to religion, they're rarely at as local a level as alcoholism. From all the examples you've provided, other than supposedly harming people with what you believe is mistruth, there's very little a single religious extremist can do. There are still limited things they can do, I've had to deal with close family with issues like that, but nowhere near as much as an alcoholic.

I've never been called a "lazy-ass good-for-nothing fuckhead" by my over-religious mother. I have by my alcoholic grandfather, and while I probably have issues from growing up under the rather oppressive lifestyles of both of them, my grandfather was at times a danger to my physical wellbeing, more so than my religious affiliation will ever be, unless I chose to go evangelize in china, the middle east, or the south pacific.

You must hate readingthis, a major buzz kill.  At least you did read this.  You're betterthan most Christians.  Most Christians aren't interested in discussionor debate.  No more than I like it when people dump my drink in thesink when I leave to take a piss.

No, not at all actually. I really enjoy debating with you, and I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think I was right, and wasn't confident enough in my standpoint to try to make intelligent debate. And as for other Christians? I'd say a lot of them don't want to debate with people like you, but a greater majority simply don't know how. As intense as many people get over it, there's not too many who could sit down, and explain their belief system. I happen to be able to, at least on some level, and so it comes naturally that I'd be more willing to hear your perspective.

With all that being said though, I'm a relatively tolerant sort of dude. I'm probably more libertarian with my religion than most people would like me to be (on both sides). It pisses off my religious affiliates, because I don't push people about God, and it pisses off quite a few Atheists when I tell them I disagree, but I'm just fine with them as they are. I don't think most know what to do with me.

You made a few valid points there. For the intents and purposes of the debate, religion can be like alcohol, but I suppose religion can be like anything else, used, or abused.

My belief has always been to have extreme faith and moderate religion. It keeps me morally where I feel I should be, and at the same time provides a better perspective on the world.

Yes eddide unlike yourself I enjoy the sweet taste of punane. Try some it will change your life lol.

PM'ed.

mikayd2
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 21:16
I meant another mans woman. I'll edit my post thanks for the notice of the typo.

I was just getting back at you with a joke eddie. Chill out you act like a teenager sometimes and other times you make me forget your age.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 21:22

I was just getting back at you with a joke eddie. Chill out you actlike a teenager sometimes and other times you make me forget your age.

I am chill. Rarely do I ever actually get pissed at something someone says on the web. I didn't mean to come across as aggressive (I actually had a smily after that before I lost my page. Had to go re-do it all).

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 05, 2008 21:27
mikayd2

What did you mean exactly? Lamest, or? Anyway, you seem to really like women judging from what you wrote (zoning in), heh :P

Man your like tiger or something ready to bite a head off. When I said you were the clamest guy on kikizo. Again no disrespect intended I meant your not a hot head.  And yes I am a lesbian and this is by my own admission.

Oh, I see, the calmest. I apparently misunderstood :P Well, this is one of those topics that I could discuss at length but I usually try to keep it "cool" even if I disagree totally with certain opinions in this type of discussions.

By the way, were you referring to "another man's woman", or "another man woman"?
And Eddie, that's kind of a good attitude. To have extreme faith but moderate religion. Because rituals in itself aren't the center of religions despite what some think. They're more an aid of focussing on what's beyond that.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Christian equivalent of Gutiar Hero - Sep 06, 2008 02:33

When negative effects are attributed to religion, they're rarely at aslocal a level as alcoholism. From all the examples you've provided,other than supposedly harming people with what you believe is mistruth,there's very little a single religious extremist can do. There arestill limited things they can do, I've had to deal with close familywith issues like that, but nowhere near as much as an alcoholic.

It's funny how you conveniently try to write off all the effects of religion except the small shit that an individual will do.  You also didn't explain why I'm wrong with my points that you don't agree with.  Simply saying that they're not valid is not an argument.

Religion has been the single greatest threat to human rights and scientific growth.  It's a bulletproof vehicle for ignorance.  How else would we have a creationist museum in the wealthiest country in the world in 2008?  These people expect us to believe the Earth is only 6000 years old, many people do.   http://www.creationmuseum.org/
And i know this isn't all Christians, I don't need you to point this out again.  My point is, religion is the only thing in our pool of knowledge and thought that ever gets a free pass from the same scrutiny that everything else receives.  How are we to discover the origin of life if everyone accepts we came here magically at the hands of a supernatural being?  The word supernatural by the way means outside of nature, since nature includes everything by definition the concept of a god is self defeating.  Anyways, I'm not concerned about individuals crashing planes into buildings or setting themselves on fire in the name of God/Allah.  I am concerned about the fact that people still believe in talking Unicorns and Angels.  These people are allowed to vote, they have influence on how our resources are spent.  Even on social issues there are many people who vote on these things based on what they think makes them better Christians/Muslims instead of looking at the issue without bias. 

As for human right violations religion is a known enabler for hatred and bigotry.  Do you wish for me to quote the bible where it says that gays should be stoned?  That's only a spit in the ocean.  Religion has always been used as a tool for oppression.  It's almost as effective as fear. 
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 49 of 49