House of the Dead: Overkill

Demonoroth
  • Total Posts : 359
  • Reward points : 18080
House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 15:07

Sega mentioned they would announce a new game at Leipzig for Wii and have came through on that promise, releasing via YouTube a sneak peak of "the hardcore you've been waiting for"; and that is a new House of the Dead title called "House of the Dead Overkill". In a trailer that seems almost aware of how B grade it is, plenty of gameplay is shown off along with all the blood, mutants, boobs, zombies, snakes, and violence one would expect from a zombie thriller. The game is due in 2009, and we're sure we'll see more of it in the upcoming days.

Debut Trailer

SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced The House of the Dead: OVERKILL, an all-new pulp-horror reinvention of the classic SEGA light-gun shooter franchise. Created by London-based studio Headstrong Games, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will take you right back to the beginning of this classic horror series. Available exclusively on the Nintendo Wii early in 2009 and announced to coincide with Games Convention at Leipzig, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be presented live by developer Headstrong Games for specially invited members of the press in SEGA's business centre suite.

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL uncovers the ugly, terrifying, red hot secrets behind the House of the Dead; the daddy of all over-the-top shooters. While staying true to the classic gameplay this hugely successful SEGA series is getting a new retro look, with distinctive graphics, sound and attitude that will add to its horror cool status. Plus, thanks to the Wii Remote, players will fight off zombies when they get too close; pistol-whipping jaws off and smashing in skulls with their shotgun butt.

"We wanted to do something really different with The House of the Dead: OVERKILL," commented Bradley Crooks, Studio Head at Headstrong Games. "With SEGA we've been able to create a fresh look for the franchise. I think you'll agree it's like nothing you've seen before on Wii."

"Paying homage to the pulp horror comics and films that inspired generations of gore fans, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will expose gamers to a brand-new fleshy rollercoaster ride of revolting dismemberment," commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director at SEGA Europe. "This is the hardcore Wii title you've been waiting for."

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL takes you back to when Special Agent G was fresh out of the academy. Teamed up with hard-boiled bad-ass Detective Washington, they are sent to investigate stories of mysterious disappearances in small-town Louisiana. Little do they know what blood-soaked mutant depravity awaits them in the streets and swamps of Bayou City...

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be released in early 2009, exclusively for Nintendo Wii. For more information about the game, please visit http://www.houseofthedeadoverkill.com.

• Relentless, gore-drenched, over-the-top action
Only the coolest, most cold-hearted agent’s going to keep his head against the zombie flood. Use “Slow-Mofo Time” to make the perfect head-popping shot and “Evil Eye” to spot moments of opportunity that’ll send the whole environment up in flames

Slow-Mofo Time...hah that just sounds great.

Official box art

And some screens

Graphics are passable but could really use some work. Faces look ok to me but the rest looks kinda bland. Might be fun though if they get the controls down.

But I have to disagree with Gary Knight...This ain't the hardcore game I've been waiting for on the Wii. Anyways kinda sad it ain't Jet Set Radio.

Right now don't really have any hopes for this game turning out good.
<message edited by Demonoroth on Aug 19, 2008 15:20>
Wii code: 2072 1110 4558 6538
Smash Bros Brawl: 1848-3246-8526
Mario Kart: 412452409500
Mario Strikers: 120360 413659
NiGHTS: 3737-8754-6785
PES 08: 4339-4437-7901

PSN: Demonoroth
pm me if you add anything

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 16:19
Looks awesome.

HotD5 won't look like this though. It'll be cell-shaded.

Demonoroth
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 17:26
I do love the trailer.

Makes me think of the old SEGA a bit more with all their ridiculous advertising.

Graphically won't be pushing any limits at all. If the controls are good though it'll most likely be a fun game but you just can't tell with SEGA anymore these days.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 18:08

Graphically won't be pushing any limits at all.

I beg to differ. For a Wii game this looks amazing.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 18:12
a brand-new fleshy rollercoaster ride of revolting dismemberment

Why is there a runaway wheelchair as part of the title logo?

And Demonoroth, what is that horrible list of numbers?  Does the Wii require individual codes for each game?!  Ugh... they.. they burn my eyes....

Demonoroth
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 18:36
I know Zoy, it looks horrible doesn't it

But it's the easiest way to put them in a signature and tell people to pm you if they add you. That's the list of friendcodes from games and my wii code. Just can't be bothered to paste and copy the damn thing from a notepad everytime someone wants to add me and asks for them.

And Mastachefbkw...If I'm not mistaking this is the first time you're saying something looks good on Wii while I don't like it. Well at least it's looking a lot better than Dead Rising...Well ok House of the Dead ain't bad looking but ain't all that great either...Dead Rising...is just plain aweful.

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 18:47

ORIGINAL: Zoy

And Demonoroth, what is that horrible list of numbers?  Does the Wii require individual codes for each game?!  Ugh... they.. they burn my eyes....

You know, I was JUST thinking that, right before I read your post!

Demonoroth, can't you just add people with your friend code, and join up with them that way?  My Wii isn't online, so I don't know about all that.  If you've got to add some random numeric code for each game then the Wii online system (if you can even call it that) is even more abysmal than I previously thought!  Were they TRYING to fail in the online arena?

Demonoroth
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 19:00
Chee Saw

ORIGINAL: Zoy

You know, I was JUST thinking that, right before I read your post!

Demonoroth, can't you just add people with your friend code, and join up with them that way?  My Wii isn't online, so I don't know about all that.  If you've got to add some random numeric code for each game then the Wii online system (if you can even call it that) is even more abysmal than I previously thought!  Were they TRYING to fail in the online arena?

Having them registered on your wii as a friend by their wii code ain't enough to meet up and play no. Besides...meeting up...there's no form of lobby anywhere so you'd have to have talked on msn, phone, Skype or whatever you get the point to meet up.

And yeah for each game you get a friendcode which you have to write down somewhere. Give to all the people you know who have the game and want to play with. They have to register your code on their Wii's and then you have to register all their codes on your Wii in the game as well.

The funny thing is...for Brawl I've had people whoaren't in my adress book on my Wii (so who aren't supposedly friends) and added their brawl friendcode andit worked...while with others it said I had to have them registered asa friend on my Wii (in other words both have each others wii code registered)...

Also I don't really get why developers stick to these friendcodes likeNintendo told them. EA basically told Nintendo to go f*ck themselvesand doesn't use them. They don't use those friendcodes and instead justuse their own EA user accounts in their games. Don't really understandwhy others don't do something similar. Yeah Nintendo really got the "online" down perfectly with the Wii.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 20:40

And Mastachefbkw...If I'm not mistaking this is the first time you're saying something looks good on Wii while I don't like it.

I just think it looks good for a Wii game(no sarcasm or smartassness intended). Of course, I didn't bother watching the trailer, I'm just judging it by the screens that were posted.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
Re:House of the Dead: Overkill - Aug 19, 2008 21:40
Oh man, you gotta watch the trailer.