Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4?
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 01:43
It's been out for some time now. I've only rented it (which was surprisenly easy considering its a new release) but so far I'm enjoying it more so than any other fighters. For a while I got bored with fighting games, but FPS games are starting to wear thin on me right now so this game showed up at a perfect time.

I like the create a player mode it  has. You can remodel an existing character (which there are lots) or start from scratch. Also the clothing isnt just for aesthitics as it adds to you points value in a rpg/micro-managment sort of deal. Easily kills the hours as you find that nice balance.

The story mode is quick and easy enough with little to no flair honestly. But the Tower where you either choose to ascend and face certain groups on each floor or decend and fight wave after wave to see just how far you can go.

I havent tried multiplayer yet so Ive got no opinion there yet.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else has been playing it...
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 03:38
Heck yeah I have the ps3 version what a great game would you like to play later. Here's my login MikeDaFreshOne
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 03:56
I'll have to rent it for the ps3 which shant be hard at all. I'll add you soon enough.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 15:52
I completed the story mode with Taki and played a couple online matches. Not a bad game, though, it didn't impress me on a technical level. The intro sucks compared to Soul Calibur 3's cool intro. The game graphics failed to impress me, especially after being impressed by the graphics of Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast and Soul Calibur 3 for the PlayStation 2. 

I pretty much got brutalized online, LOL.. I have only used Taki in the online matches and I limited myself to just kicks. I did beat a handful of players using only Taki's kicks so that's good enough for me ;D.

Also, Soul Calibur 4's AI doesn't seem to be as ring savvy as that of Soul Calibur 3. CPU opponents were friggin brutal in Soul Calibur 3 and just beat me down mercilessly. Soul Calibur 4 was definitely easier to me. 
<message edited by Terry Bogard on Aug 12, 2008 16:10>
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 16:40
For casual Fighting i can see some liking this for the odd scrap now and again..

Personally i think it's average at best, graphics are miles behind the likes VF5, messy textures, slight framerate issues ropey animations. Gameplay can be ok but yet again too many over used frame-draws and hit collisions not much scope for true depth for Hardcore fighting fans. (tho still miles better than DOA4)..
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 16:51
I will pick this one up when the price goes down but BEFORE it becomes a "Greatest Hit" with the yellow bar across the packaging or whatever.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 18:05
Come on, Joe... you know you want that schoolbus yellow border screeching at you from across the room, and the black block lettering that doesn't match anything about the PS3 design aesthetic... and the oversized "TM". 
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 18:22

For casual Fighting i can see some liking this for the odd scrap now and again..

Personally i think it's average at best, graphics are miles behind thelikes VF5, messy textures, slight framerate issues ropey animations.Gameplay can be ok but yet again too many over used frame-draws and hitcollisions not much scope for true depth for Hardcore fighting fans.(tho still miles better than DOA4)..

I'm not in to fighting games or anything, but how can VF5 be classified as hardcore? I haven't played a fighting game more than an hour since DOA 3, but I picked up VF5 and just randomly smashed buttons and was doing well. I tried playing DOA 4 and got my ass kicked. What classifies a fighting game as hardcore?
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 18:29
mastachefbkw

I'm not in to fighting games or anything, but how can VF5 be classified as hardcore? I haven't played a fighting game more than an hour since DOA 3, but I picked up VF5 and just randomly smashed buttons and was doing well. I tried playing DOA 4 and got my ass kicked. What classifies a fighting game as hardcore?

Its really hard to explain You would have to see some one that is really good at it. To understand. Anybody can play soul caliber but not every body can play VF5.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 18:38
Joe I think that [if im correct] americans get the red box showing its platium and not the ugly yellow we got.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 20:48
mastachefbkw

Personally i think it's average at best, graphics are miles behind thelikes VF5, messy textures, slight framerate issues ropey animations.Gameplay can be ok but yet again too many over used frame-draws and hitcollisions not much scope for true depth for Hardcore fighting fans.(tho still miles better than DOA4)..

If you had success button-mashing against someone in VF5, then you were obviously just playing against somebody else who was only mashing buttons.

Sorry for the huge quote, but apparently I can't edit down to just the pertinent sentence or two.
Joe Redifer

Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 20:52
Zoy
Come on, Joe... you know you want that schoolbus yellow border screeching at you from across the room

Joe I think that [if im correct
americans get the red box showing its platium and not the ugly yellow we got.

Whatever the case, those horrible things they do to the low priced games are an obvious incentive to buy at full price.  I wonder if they planned that or if that was just a side effect of the marketing genius who decided that lower priced games needed to have their box raped for whatever reason.

emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 21:29
I have the 360 version, haven't played it much, it's a good game but I don't really feel like playing it much, I enjoyed multiplayer on the original alot.  And yoda is soooo much better than darth vader
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 21:32

hatever the case, those horrible things they do to the low priced gamesare an obvious incentive to buy at full price.  I wonder if theyplanned that or if that was just a side effect of the marketing geniuswho decided that lower priced games needed to have their box raped forwhatever reason.

The 360 Platinum Hits packaging is even worse. They just resize the case art, and surround it with a grey 360 ring border.

If I didn't see my copy of Viva-Pinata at Best-Buy, I'd swear it was a bootleg.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 21:35

Sorry for the huge quote, but apparently I can't edit down to just the pertinent sentence or two.

Copy pertinent sentence, paste in message box, highlight and press the --wrap quote tag--- button  ;)
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Aug 12, 2008 21:37>
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 12, 2008 22:53

Whatever the case, those horrible things they do to the low pricedgames are an obvious incentive to buy at full price.  I wonder if theyplanned that or if that was just a side effect of the marketing geniuswho decided that lower priced games needed to have their box raped forwhatever reason.

I ordered Kameo off of Gamestop.com and they put their used games in those fucking retarded cases that have pictures of people shoping in a gamestop, so I just printed off the cover from a random site.

...Boxes do need raped here and there, just to show them who is in charge.

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 13, 2008 00:24
mastachefbkw

I'm no Virtua Fighter expert but I believe that Virtua Fighter 3 was the last totally HARDCORE entry in the series before Sega shifted gears and began making later entries (Virtua Fighter 4 & 5) more accessible to casual gamers, and in a way, button-masher friendly. Button mashing gets you no where against the CPU in Virtua Fighter 1 - 3, but in 4 & 5 you'll be able to have some success with it.
<message edited by Terry Bogard on Aug 13, 2008 00:27>
Joe Redifer

Re:So yeah...any love for Soul Calibur 4? - Aug 13, 2008 01:04
Actually I think that started with Virtua Fighter 3.  Didn't they take out the jump starting with #3 as well?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll