Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 48
Adam Doree
  • Total Posts : 1113
  • Reward points : 46210
Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 07:39
Listen up.

Working through the remaining bugs / fixes / tweaks.

To the people who said they kept landing on page 1 of a multi-page topic after posting their reply, please let me know what browser/version/system this happened on. I have only been able to reproduce the problem on IE6. Any others? Although I prefer IE6 to IE7 this forum works propelry on IE7 and it makes no sense making minor fixes for old browsers on their way out.

The layout issues with pages such as PM, Friends, Edit Profile, View Profle etc, we are working on. Blame CSS - it's seriously a joke.

Opera text/cursor fix is on its way.

Images posted no longer stretch width.

Reward points, whatever indeed they are, we're looking to remove all trace of this, in the meantime please ignore it.
This will also be less space wasted under people's avatars when they post.

We'll move forum jump up top to go from VG to EE and back.

Anything else?

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 07:42
I could go for a taco.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Adam Doree
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 07:56
Oh here's another thing, and I think this applies to the main site as well as the forum, on Macs, the top nav area is apparently fucked.

Joe Redifer sent me a screen:

Now for some reason the geniuses at Apple and/or CSS are ignoring my explicit wish to make this nav text normal (not bold). Because it is bold, it forces the word 'FORUM' down thereby messing other stuff up. He says this is also the case on the main site, although because of the way I have the entire top section embedded into the forum, the result is not quite so ugle as the Kikizo logo graphic simply covers up most of the word 'FORUM'. Either way it's annoying.

What I want to know is, is this happening for all Mac users on all browsers?

And even more of a concern is it happening for any non Mac users?

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 08:29
That recoded version you showed me looked perfect.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 08:55
I was looking at the site on a Mac yesterday and didn't notice that problem... but I've usually been selecting the forum from the list on the left, not the top button.  So, unsure here... it'll be a few days before I'm around any Macs to try again.

GrayFox
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 17:02
I have this problem. Im running Firefox3 on win xp so i think its a Firefox problem not Mac's.

Adam Doree
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 21:27
Thanks for the info guys

Can anyone recrete the problem with any browser OTHER than FF3 regardless of system?

Nice to know Firefox is making designers' lives easier by ignoring obvious CSS definitions.

Joe, the version I sent you was an early version of the recoding of the site. It shows that the nav originally displayed properly, but when content and functionality started being added, Firefox's poor brain can't handle it, even though since then I've tried to patch with additional definitions to force no bold.

I HATE THE INTERNET.

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 21:54
I didn't see this with Opera 9.51. "Forums" is where it should be.

And it's kind of strange that Firefox would behave that way. Didn't they have web standards as one of their highest priorities together with the guys at Opera (or so both of them say)?

And about the cursor thing in Opera. I tested some things and noticed that holding the mouse button allowed me to write, hehe. Weird stuff. No wonder people can hate the Internet from time to time :P

Agent Ghost
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 22:42
Excellent work, now make it faster.  Warp 10 this biotch.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 22:51
You can actually go online on macs????

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 22:56
I imagine that if you widened the site by a few pixels it would be fine.  Nobody has resolutions that low any more so I wouldn't worry about any users not seeing content. 

I agree with Agent Ghost.  The site loves to redraw itself even when the BACK and FORWARD buttons are used, making everything slower than it used to be.  I like how everything looks, but it is starting to become style over function like many websites these days.

Duffman, you have brought many LOLs to the world with that ingenious post!  Would you mind if I worshiped you?
<message edited by Joe Redifer on Jul 31, 2008 22:58>

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 23:00
Is it me or is the front page slow as heck while using firefox. Kind of slugish also the forum site seems to be slow as well using ff3.

Oh and is there anyway you can make the hot topics pop up on the front page of the site like the last forum. This is how I find out what every body is talking about.

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 23:04
Joe Redifer

I imagine that if you widened the site by a few pixels it would be fine.  Nobody has resolutions that low any more so I wouldn't worry about any users not seeing content. 

I agree with Agent Ghost.  The site loves to redraw itself even when the BACK and FORWARD buttons are used, making everything slower than it used to be.  I like how everything looks, but it is starting to become style over function like many websites these days.

Duffman, you have brought many LOLs to the world with that ingenious post!  Would you mind if I worshiped you?

Thank you Joe! Yeah I think I have really outdone myself with that last post. Not at all. Worship away my friend.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 01, 2008 03:21
Firefox 2.0.0.10

Firefox spell check highlights words in the full-post window, but you can't correct.

Oh, and while you're at it, turn the whole website up to eleven.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

Adam Doree
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 01, 2008 13:44
Refreshing any page is not recommended as it reloads in loads of script. The natural click/post flow of using should not cause slow experience.

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 01, 2008 23:33
Adam about the private messaging.

I'm using Firefox v 2.0.0.16

My problem is that the message is not below the inbox, but breaks alignment and stretches the page layout extending to the right.
So the actual message is itself to the right of the page.

i have uploaded the image to show:

Adam did you get my PM?
<message edited by the_shadowwolf on Aug 01, 2008 23:41>
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Agent Ghost
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 02, 2008 01:38
Just a minor tip for Vista users, which applies to the internet in general:

If you have Vista and a decent videocard the forums are noticably faster with Aero activated since it uses the GPU to render the web pages instead of the CPU.  Looks better too.

Zoy
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 05, 2008 21:38
Yeah, so, I'm back on a Mac and it does have that problem with the buttons across the top.  On both Firefox and Safari. 

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 06, 2008 00:27
Mac's probably don't have that font, or that font is messed up on Macs.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 06, 2008 08:46
What font is it?  If it is a special font then it really should just be an image file instead of text.  Anyway I honestly think it is a Cascading Style Sheet issue.  Internet Explorer on the PC is EXTREMELY forgiving of bad code.  Other browsers not so much.  As posted, this does effect Firefox 3 on Windows as well.  Maybe Adam could have the font size shrunk just 1 point and that would probably fix things.

On the good side, the site does seem faster now than it did, say, last week.

Zoy
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 06, 2008 18:17
Truth be told, those buttons across the top just don't look very good.  Smaller buttons in some sort of font more similar to the Kikizo logo and color scheme would look much better.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 08, 2008 15:31
Adam, my iPhone has stopped seeing the reply box as text enterable...

It was working, now it isn't. Everything else works; logging in, searching etc... i just can't reply. I can open the full reply box, it just won't bring up the keyboard when i tap in the box.

Any idea why?

Zoy
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 08, 2008 23:13
The message informing me that I've blocked an air-waster doesn't need to be blinking.

Zoy
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 13, 2008 22:01
Could you not accept ads that contain sound that can't be turned off?  URRRRGGGHHHH... they're grating on my nerves.

GrayFox
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 16, 2008 15:54
Adam i think i found why is "forums" appearing out of place for us FF3 users. Its because we are magnifying the fonts with the control&+ buttons which on FF3 magnifies everything even pictures. I just tried to reduce the fonts to the original size and the "forums" went back in its intended position.

Now need Joe to try that as well to confirm/shoot down this.

locopuyo
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 16, 2008 19:14
GrayFox

Adam i think i found why is "forums" appearing out of place for us FF3 users. Its because we are magnifying the fonts with the control&+ buttons which on FF3 magnifies everything even pictures. I just tried to reduce the fonts to the original size and the "forums" went back in its intended position.

Now need Joe to try that as well to confirm/shoot down this.

Yeah I just tried that and it goes out of place if I zoom in in Opera too. It's your own dumb faults for zooming in!

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 16, 2008 23:22
Yeah, that is weird.  It looks much better zoomed out.  I wonder why it was zoomed in in the first place?  This doesn't seem to affect any other site.  Ah well, all seems to be well for now.  Thanks for thinking of that, Grayfox!

EDIT:  It did this on the Sega-16 forums as well.  There must be something in the code that makes Firefox 3 want to do an auto-zoom when it shouldn't.  I wonder if they'll ever fix this bug.
<message edited by Joe Redifer on Aug 16, 2008 23:28>

GrayFox
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 18, 2008 02:07

Yeah I just tried that and it goes out of place if I zoom in in Opera too. It's your own dumb faults for zooming in!

Atleast i should get a cookie for finding this out!

Yeah, that is weird.  It looks much better zoomed out.  I wonder why itwas zoomed in in the first place?  This doesn't seem to affect anyother site.  Ah well, all seems to be well for now.  Thanks forthinking of that, Grayfox!

EDIT:  It did this on theSega-16 forums as well.  There must be something in the code that makesFirefox 3 want to do an auto-zoom when it shouldn't.  I wonder ifthey'll ever fix this bug.

No problem.
Firefox "remembers" the state of the sites you visited before, so if you zoomed in one of those sites, youll have them zoomed forever.
As for myself, I like magnifying because on 1900x1200 the words are so small it hurt my eyes.

Adam Doree
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 02:18
I think it's a joke that the browser allows users to mess with fonts that have been designed specifically to be pixel perfect in CSS. When I use Opera 9 for PC I didn't get the issue.

Anyway, we have just applied a bunch of fixes. Broadly speaking, although we have not yet addressed some of the (sometimes extreme) layout issues and conflicts (eg on PM pages), you should now notice that many of the functionality issues are now solved, eg the problems that were being experienced with entering text etc.

As for annoying ads, we are getting these removed right now. Sounds in ads that is not user-prompted is completely unacceptable and we have asked for these to be removed before. We will be changing from the particular ad company in question that ignores these requests.

Please note that the forum does not yet support iPhone properly and is not supposed to be perfectly compatible with IE6 and other older browsers, so if you're using an out of date browser, please upgrade for things to work properly.
<message edited by Adam Doree on Aug 28, 2008 02:30>

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 02:56
I keep getting this whenever I load a thread.

Adam Doree
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 03:02
Are you only getting that as of an hour ago (when we made supposed fixes)? Or did you always get this since the new forum?

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 04:14
Since your last post... just recently.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 05:52
Can we get enlargeable images? It's a right pain having to hit properties and copy-paste into the address bar.

Please and thank-you.

locopuyo
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 21:00
okay this is pretty cool, I can just click in the message box and post now!  But the forum layout is kinda wierd looking.  I'm using Opera 9.52.

locopuyo
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 22:21

same with firefox 3

Agent Ghost
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 22:30
I'm getting the same thing as loco with firefox, IE7 with vista keeps crashing and is very slow, other sites work fine and fast.  Kikizo with IE7 on XP works with no major problems.

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 28, 2008 22:38
My Firefox 3 doesn't do that to me, just the little pop-up message that I pointed out above.  Also, it ONLY does that on Firefox 3.  The site looks like Loco's pics in Safari, though.  (All Mac based).  However I don't use Safari.

Adam Doree
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 29, 2008 06:26
Joe, you should be able to get rid of the issue by refreshing your browser cache.

This should hopefully clear up some other issues everyone else may be having too.

Working on the rest.

I despise CSS.

Joe Redifer
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 29, 2008 07:54
Yes, that helped Adam, the messages are now gone.  However now my screen looks like Locopuyo's pics.

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 29, 2008 12:25
Opera 9.52 on Linux now also works. I can type in the reply box without any problems. I'll test later on Windows but I assume that it'll work too.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 48