When are you too old to play video games....

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 15:40
The other day I was in a local Game store, I was looking at some of the latest releases and I over heard a couple of children, aged about 14 or 15, they were looking at me and another guy of about the same age and commenting saying things like:

"aren't they too old to be playing games?"

"I bet they aren't any good at games."

and the worst one.

"They should be playing Brain training and sight training on the DS."

Whilst I was amused especially when I walked up to them and told them that CoD4 multiplayer is one of the best multplayer experiences and that Metal gear solid 4 is probably the best game on the PS3 and their faces dropped. It got me thinking when is it time to hang up your controller?

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 16:27
I think 16 is too old.  Video games are for children and ONLY for children.

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 16:38
alijay034

The other day I was in a local Game store, I was looking at some of the latest releases and I over heard a couple of children, aged about 14 or 15, they were looking at me and another guy of about the same age and commenting saying things like:

"aren't they too old to be playing games?"

"I bet they aren't any good at games."

and the worst one.

"They should be playing Brain training and sight training on the DS."

Whilst I was amused especially when I walked up to them and told them that CoD4 multiplayer is one of the best multplayer experiences and that Metal gear solid 4 is probably the best game on the PS3 and their faces dropped. It got me thinking when is it time to hang up your controller?

The best time and the ONLY time you should hang up your controller is when you're damn good and ready in my opinion. In this day and age the notion that video games are "just for kids" is way beyond retarded. The fact that you can purchase games that those punk kids you overheard at the store can't is testament to that...

I always like thinking that my generation helped rescue the video game industry after the infamous video game crash of '83 & '84 and then future generations helped turn it into the multi-billion dollar industry that it is today. So, we have no intention of relinquishing any aspect of it to these 'youngins' who probably have No idea what a "screen flicker" is.

I used to entertain the thought that I'll probably grow old and die of old age with a video game controller in my hand, Lol. I've seen people make the mistake of giving up videogames for all the wrong reasons and regretted it later on.. Some gave it up because their girlfriends/wives wanted them to, which is always a big mistake in my opinion. Others gave it up because they feared it was "socially unacceptable" at their age -- they basically got older and were afraid of being looked down on. Grow some balls and a backbone I say :P

Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 17:07
I my self don't plan on stopping. I could be 75 years old getting it in on some COD13. If I happen to start losing my mind at 60 or so. I might just start to play button mashing games. And go from there.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 18:06
When your arms fall off.

"Too old" isn't rationale for anything.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

mikayd2
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 18:26
Eddie_the_Hated

Well Expect Gansta Rap music. I hate old fools.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 20:25
Would you prefer... say...

"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

killemoff
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Reward points : 0
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 30, 2008 22:35
Eddie_the_Hated

Would you prefer... say...

That pic resumes all that i can't stand about hip-hop.

On topic, i'd say when you're dead and buried is the right age to quit.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 00:14
Soulja Boy's got $135 there.  That's how you get screwed with a major label deal.

(Edit:  I thought it was 175 at first.  Looks like he doesn't own the mechanicals either.)
<message edited by Zoy on Jul 31, 2008 00:15>

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 02:54
I think you should stop playing them in your 30's, 40+ people playing videogames is creepy.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 03:04
No, you should respect your elders! Nolan Bushnell is...

...who the hell am I kidding? That man gives me the willies.

Anyway, the sad part is that people like Soulja Boy are so easily imitatible:

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 04:08
When you're dead.  If I saw a dead guy playing a game I'd be totally freaked out.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 08:56
I'll stop playing when I can no longer voluntarily control my limbs and my eyes have stopped working. Anyone who says gaming is for kids and nerds is plain stupid; I would counter that dribbling inactively in front of the TV is far worse than actively participating in a game.
There was an article on the tv news recently here that they were bringing wiis into old peoples homes as they were more stimulating to the oldies than tv.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 09:47
Ill never be too old to play videogames, i dread they day my hand eye coordination will prevent me from playing some games.

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Jul 31, 2008 18:22
Hm, my personal answer would be : too old is when you have lost interest. I think that goes for everything. As long as honest interest isn't there anymore then it might be time to stop.

I think that consciously stopping only because you reach a certain age is weird. If you like something, why let age decide what to do and what not? That's just adhering to certain "rules" in society. I mean, what might the neighbours or colleagues think? ;)

mikayd2

Eddie_the_Hated

I'm not into rap but from what I've seen many old school guys are more dedicated than the younger commercial generation. Some of them are still creating stuff because of the passion for the music. It's not like the old style gives them much airplay or so.

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 01, 2008 04:38

When you're dead.  If I saw a dead guy playing a game I'd be totally freaked out.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 01, 2008 22:50
I think if you're over 40(and look it) you should either quit buying them in public, or wander around the store like a dumbass and write the name of the game you want on a piece of paper and tell them you're buying it for a kid. As far as when to quit, I say when your hands become so crippled that you can't hold a controller anymore.

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 02, 2008 10:16
The average age of a video gamer is 28.  That being said, for every person under 28 who plays video games, there is someone over 28 who plays.

I'm 32, and I've "sort of" lost interest.  At least I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

Right now SoulCaliber IV owns me, though!

As far as giving it up based on what other people think in a store; that's f'in stupid.  Especially some kids in a video game store!

mastachefbkw
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 02, 2008 19:32

I'm 32, and I've "sort of" lost interest.  At least I don't play nearly as much as I used to.
It's just the Alzheimer's kicking in.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 02, 2008 23:23
i will never get too old to play videogames as the average age of gamers is at least 8 years older than me, I'm ahead of the Curve!

emofag
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 00:05
ys

Hm, my personal answer would be : too old is when you have lost interest. I think that goes for everything. As long as honest interest isn't there anymore then it might be time to stop.

I think that consciously stopping only because you reach a certain age is weird. If you like something, why let age decide what to do and what not? That's just adhering to certain "rules" in society. I mean, what might the neighbours or colleagues think? ;)

mikayd2

Eddie_the_Hated

I'm not into rap but from what I've seen many old school guys are more dedicated than the younger commercial generation. Some of them are still creating stuff because of the passion for the music. It's not like the old style gives them much airplay or so.

You're stupid.

People don't just automatically grow out of things, you parents should have taught you enough sense to know when enough is enough.  Stopping is supposed to be a sacrifice, you have to do it against your own will, if you can't then your not disciplined enough.

If people didn't stop toddlers from drinking bottles and force them to cope with cups, then if it were up to kids they'd probably only stop once they enter school and are teased by other kids, I've seen 5 year olds that still use bottles, it's ridiculous.   The difference is they are children, you are an adult.

Before you hit 40 you need to cope with the fact that you shouldn't be playing videogames anymore, you're an adult, you shouldn't need me parenting you and telling you when to stop, use common sense.

The problem is you don't see a reason to stop, your mentality is that there's nothing wrong with playing games.  Well, what exactly is wrong about drinking from a baby bottle? Nothing, it's just a bottle with a plastic sucking piece.  That doesn't mean it's right for you to be drinking out of bottles till you're 80, why not? Because THATS THE WAY IT IS.

You will stop playing videogames because THATS THE WAY THINGS ARE, just do it and stfu, dont question it.

<message edited by emofag on Aug 03, 2008 00:10>

Agent Ghost
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 00:14

You're stupid.

People don't just automatically grow out of things, you parents should have taught you enough sense to know when enough is enough.  Stopping is supposed to be a sacrifice, you have to do it against your own will, if you can't then your not disciplined enough.

If people didn't stop toddlers from drinking bottles and force them to cope with cups, then if it were up to kids they'd probably only stop once they enter school and are teased by other kids, I've seen 5 year olds that still use bottles, it's ridiculous.   The difference is they are children, you are an adult.

Before you hit 40 you need to cope with the fact that you shouldn't be playing videogames anymore, you're an adult, you shouldn't need me parenting you and telling you when to stop, use common sense.

The problem is you don't see a reason to stop, your mentality is that there's nothing wrong with playing games.  Well, what exactly is wrong about drinking from a baby bottle? Nothing, it's just a bottle with a plastic sucking piece.  That doesn't mean it's right for you to be drinking out of bottles till you're 80, why not? Because THATS THE WAY IT IS.

You will stop playing videogames because THATS THE WAY THINGS ARE, just do it and stfu, dont question it.

What's wrong with playing videogames again?  What does a bottle and videogames have in common?  NOTHING, your analogy is retarded.  A bottle is used specifically on infants because they can't use a glass, videogames are a hobby that we choose to do in our spare time, they can be stimulating for an adult.  There's nothing special about 40, other than you have a perception of this being old.  Are old people not supposed to have fun, is that the cut-off?  I don't see what you would gain by quitting other than time and money you would save.  It's impossible to apply one standard on everyone. 

Actually having a standard makes no sense.  Everyone is unique and has different lifestyles.  Maybe you have something to gain by quitting others might not.  Even if gaming was hurting their life somehow, it's their life to waste.

Age restrictions are not set in stone.  There are no age limits in nature for the inventions of man.  We imposs these ourselves for whatever reason.  It's oppression.  People have values and ideals that they want everyone to follow.  We have universal age limits for sex, alcohol, employment etc.  Does this mean we all mature at the same rate?  Or that we live in the same circumstances? No, people just like having controls in place, it makes them feel safe. 
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Aug 03, 2008 00:43>
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

emofag
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 00:54

What's wrong with playing videogames again?  What does a bottleand videogames have in common?  NOTHING, your analogy is retarded.  Abottle is used specifically on infants because they can't use a glass,videogames are a hobby that we choose to do in our spare time, they canbe stimulating for an adult.  There's nothing special about 40, otherthan you have a perception of this being old.  Are old people notsupposed to have fun, is that the cut-off?  I don't see what you wouldgain by quitting other than time and money you would save.  It'simpossible to apply one standard on everyone. 

Actuallyhaving a standard makes no sense.  Everyone is unique and has differentlifestyles.  Maybe you have something to gain by quitting others mightnot.  Even if gaming was hurting their life somehow, it's their life towaste.

Age restrictions are not set in stone.  There are noage limits in nature for the inventions of man.  We imposs theseourselves for whatever reason.  It's oppression.  People have valuesand ideals that they want everyone to follow.  We have universal agelimits for sex, alcohol, employment etc.  Does this mean we all matureat the same rate?  Or that we live in the same circumstances? No,people just like having controls in place, it makes them feel safe.

I was mostly trolling.  God.

Agent Ghost
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 01:44
Yeah I'm just killing time too. 

Margaritas! SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!

mastachefbkw
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 02:52
Why does this thread make me think of Brett Favre's "retiring" bs?

Agent Ghost
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 02:57
Because you're American?

mastachefbkw
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 07:14

Because you're American?
Could be. Is there a cure, doctor?

Eddie_the_Hated
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 07:32
Rugby, Hurling, Euro Football, Hockey, take your pick.

nekkid_monkey
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 1280
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 08:58
Who is Brett Favre?

mastachefbkw
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 14:41

Rugby, Hurling, Euro Football, Hockey, take your pick.

I watch hockey. I can haz Canadian citizenship?

Who is Brett Favre?
A dinosaur that doesn't know when to quit.

mikayd2
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 14:57
nekkid_monkey

Who is Brett Favre?

Crazy Talk Just down right crazy. I am Brett Favre!

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 17:12
No I am Brett Favre!! (we are doing the scene from Sparticus aren't we?)

Agent Ghost
Re:When are you too old to play video games.... - Aug 03, 2008 17:20

Could be. Is there a cure, doctor?

Shoot yourself.