360 Avatars and the new "Experience"

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points : 0
360 Avatars and the new "Experience" - Jul 22, 2008 10:16
So the avatars, a fun idea or gimicky rip-off? And the new UI, personally its not going to make a huge difference providing it doesn't appear with the games itself.

Evilkiller
  • Total Posts : 660
Re:360 Avatars and the new "Experience" - Jul 22, 2008 11:27
Well, obviously you can't really say it's a rip off since Avatars like those have been existing for ages. However, after Sony und Nintendo, Microsoft somehow felt the urge to jump on the bandwagon, maybe not to be left behind. I have to say that I like the look of those Avatars more than the look of the Miis and I hope they'll add lots of customization options. It already looks like those Avatars are going to be put to better use compared to the Miis with stuff like those Primetime gameshows.

The new interface looks easier to navigate, even though it looks a bit like a XMB-Coverflow cross. But I dont care what it looks like, as long as it's faster than the old Dashboard, I will be happy. I am also wondering how the new blades will work, which will only pop up when you press the guide button.

However in my opinion the far bigger announcement is the 8 player party option. This seems like a great idea, especially when you are having a group of people with whom you play regularly. I am really ecited for THAT part.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
Re:360 Avatars and the new "Experience" - Jul 22, 2008 14:51
Yeah, the party option is definitely the most useful, as I regularly meet up with a few friends and play 2-5 different games in the course of an evening.  No more "I'll see you in a few minutes." 

As for all the Avatars and Home nonsense, we already have a better version of that... GTA Free Roam.

Johnny Jiron
  • Total Posts : 434
  • Reward points : 5360
Re:360 Avatars and the new "Experience" - Jul 22, 2008 16:20
I'm fine with the whole setup. Its not like they are taking anything away from the users. Whether they borrow or steal it doesnt matter as long as it functions and streamlines everything.

Dreadknux
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:360 Avatars and the new "Experience" - Jul 22, 2008 19:07
When I first saw it on stage, I thought the new UI looked great. Then I went on my 360 and realised that the Blades looked pretty cool as they are. I'm kind of torn whether I like the new look or not, but besides that I certainly don't have any burning hatred against it.

I have to admit, I sort of cringed with the new Avatars. Even though they're more advanced and better looking than the crude Mii's, I just think the whole idea is somewhat... jarring. For some reason it didn't sit well with me, if you know what I mean. I guess it's just becoming one of those really worrying trends; I didn't see a problem with Gamer Images, but maybe Microsoft did.

And asking Rare to do them? Cheeky cheeky. :P

Everything else about it sounds solid though (and I think the new Guide to replace the clunky crappy blade that uses half the screen is very very nice!).

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:360 Avatars and the new "Experience" - Jul 22, 2008 22:11
The new look is most appreciated, I hate the Fisher Price look of the current 360 blades.  The rest is bullshit.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments