Too Human demo up on XBL

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 45
Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 14, 2008 20:40
...apparently.

EDIT: So i' m told that it' s actually pretty awful. I can' t check myself as i don' t have my 360 with me and i' m not home until next weekend... so i' m going to have to go off what you guys tell me. Non-bullshit impressions please, ...and 2pac... it' s time to remove those rose-tinted spectacles. The game has to speak for itself.

To clarify, i' m told that:

* the framerate is awful
* the controls and camera angles are annoying
* the engine is really unoptimized
* combat is boring and repetative
* the skill tree is nowhere near as deep as it should be for a game that wants to ape Diablo (i' ll wait for the retail version vefore i criticise that)
* the cutscenes are disturbingly bad, especially the dialogue
* Knights have tried to hard to make the characters " cool"
* the enemy design is pathetic
* the levels feel lifeless

Now, i could probably get my hands on the demo this week if i really wanted too, ...but if it' s as awful as it sounds i won' t bother as i have a lot to do.
< Message edited by nitro -- 14 Jul 08 12:58:25 >

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 14, 2008 22:42
I am going to have to wait until after work to download the demo. Will post my impressions as soon as I run through it.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 14, 2008 23:29
I just played through the demo as a Champion.

*framerate is fine
*controls are pretty good, camera can get annoying like practically every third person game, but it isn' t bad at all
*engine seems fine to me graphics weren' t amazing but they weren' t bad either
*combat was pretty fun, it was only the demo though so I can' t really say if it gets repetetive or not
*skill tree idk, barely progressed on it, but it seemed kinda cool. You get to pick which specific skill you want to upgrade, upping certain ones unlocks others
*cutscenes were okay, dialogue I didn' t like too much, the characters are supposed to be acting pompous (at least the champion is). most of the voice acting is okay or good, some of it isn' t too great.
*enemy design seems okay to me nothing amazing though
*levels aren' t amazing, but it' s just the ones that came in the demo, they suite the gameplay though.

I would say the people telling you that are being way, way too critical. From the demo it seems an okay game. Of course I didn' t jump on the hype train like it seems so many people were for this game early on. I really never bothered to read about it or watch trailers and stuff like that. I just saw the demo was on live and played it.
I could see this being a lot of fun co-op. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Online (especially the robot levels), but a lot more actiony. The level design is very similiar.
I' ll probably play through the other classes later. I could see myself getting this game, but I haven' t made up my mind yet. I would say so far my impression is it is a 7 or 8 out of 10 game.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 00:06
I' ll download i now and give it a shot. Since I didn' t get into the Microsoft press conference and am still trying to get into the EA one this afternoon (why? I have no idea...) I have a fairly uneventful day aside from picking up my press badge.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 00:26

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

...still trying to get into the EA one this afternoon (why? I have no idea...)

Dead Space & Mercenaries 2

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 00:52

Mercenaries 2

Rampage99
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 01:05

ORIGINAL: Nitro

...still trying to get into the EA one this afternoon (why? I have no idea...)

Dead Space & Mercenaries 2

Your point? After seeing Mercinaries 2 I have no interest in it. Dead Space has my attention but again, it' s EA. I had hopes Bad Company was going to change my opinion on them but it seems I have to wait still.

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 03:02
I' m downloading now. Full, as non-biased as possible impressions later this evening (EST).

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 03:18

Your point? After seeing Mercinaries 2 I have no interest in it.

No interest in Mercenaries 2?

Didn' t you like the original?

As for EA, they still have a strong lineup:

Fight Night Round 4
Facebreaker
Dead Space
The Godfather II
Left 4 Dead
The Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Mirror' s Edge
Skate. 2
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Did you play the first Skate.? Or The Godfather?

Personally i think Capcom has the strongest lineup, but Microsoft' s conference should be sweet. Shame you couldn' t get in.

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 04:56

ORIGINAL: Nitro

To clarify, i' m told that:

* the framerate is awful
* the controls and camera angles are annoying
* the engine is really unoptimized
* combat is boring and repetative
* the skill tree is nowhere near as deep as it should be for a game that wants to ape Diablo (i' ll wait for the retail version vefore i criticise that)
* the cutscenes are disturbingly bad, especially the dialogue
* Knights have tried to hard to make the characters " cool"
* the enemy design is pathetic
* the levels feel lifeless

I dont know which build the guy who told you this was playing . The framerate was solid throughout the demo . Not once did the framerate ever drag . You need to get used to the controls and camera but they are fine . A little control over the camera would have been nice but its not a big issue . I loved the combat . Skill tree is deep enough . Cut scenes are fine , dialog/voice acting isnt as bad as i thought it would be . The levels are huge and gorgeous .

I loved the demo . I am all hyped up for the game . The loots are awesome too .

locopuyo
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 06:39
Yeah so I went to go play the demo again and I guess the other classes are locked. It seems like a pretty cool game, I' ll have to read some reviews and stuff to determine if I end up buying it though.

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 06:52

ORIGINAL: 2pac

I dont know which build the guy who told you this was playing . The framerate was solid throughout the demo . Not once did the framerate ever drag . You need to get used to the controls and camera but they are fine . A little control over the camera would have been nice but its not a big issue . I loved the combat . Skill tree is deep enough . Cut scenes are fine , dialog/voice acting isnt as bad as i thought it would be . The levels are huge and gorgeous .

I loved the demo . I am all hyped up for the game . The loots are awesome too .

It was a guy i know at Sumo Digital.

I need to play the demo for myself.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 08:29
The framerate was not solid. The full review comes later tonight, but it was most definitely not running at a consistent 30fps.

locopuyo
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 10:50
It was pretty consistant for me.

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 10:53

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

The full review comes later tonight

Appreciated.

It doesn' t have to be perfect, ...but they' ve insisted on having lots of enemies and particle effects onscreen so it' d be nice not to have the framerate dropping out.

NGII' s framerate is among the worst i' ve seen this gen, and i' m told that Too Human is up there with it. It' s not that i don' t trust the guy... but this whole thing has blown up to be about more than just the game itself and i don' t know what his motivation is. Since i know Eddie doesn' t give two shits about the Dyack vs. GAF / Knights vs. Epic stuff... i' ll just forget anything else i heard or read and wait for Eddie' s impressions

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 11:36
I can safely say that anybody who loves dungeon crawlers will love this game . As I said before the game could have been so much more but I guess there is no use talking about it now . Even in the demo the loot drops were so amazing . I mean every time I played I got new weapons . I wanted to try the dual wield swords but the champion cant dual wield . Anyone cleared the two bonus areas ? I managed to clear one and got a blueprint for a weapon .
< Message edited by 2pac -- 15 Jul 08 3:49:50 >

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 11:43
I can' t download it because I only have a Silver account. I guess they don' t want to advertise to me. Oh well.

Rampage99
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 11:59
Well I got into the ea conference and was actully very pleased with it. Very little focus on sports games. It was mainly new and original content which was refreshing. Id joining their ranks was a shock but gave me a lot more faith that ea is changing for the better.

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 12:09

Well I got into the ea conference and was actully very pleased with it. Very little focus on sports games. It was mainly new and original content which was refreshing. Id joining their ranks was a shock but gave me a lot more faith that ea is changing for the better.

Specifics ?

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 12:41
Did they show anything on Mirror' s Edge?

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 14:00
Edit: It' s not finished. I' ve got pictures, videos, and more details to be added tomorrow when I' m better rested.

The preview' s a little bit late (It' s still technically " later this evening" ... right?), and a lot a bit slapdash compared to my usual work, but I decided to make a few departures from my usual formula, and for one time only, will be issuing a numeric score for each of the sections, with a final numbered score at the end. I' m doing this to express my exact sentiment about the title' s quality, and to assuage any doubts of prejudice. My review is critical, but I place only as much critique on the title as the developers and the industry placed hype. I held Too Human to the same standard I did when I reviewed any other AAA title, and will be critical of anything but perfection in my reviews, that' s just how it works.

Xbox 360
July 14, 2008
120 Minutes of Playtime

Too Human: Does Ten Years a Good Game Make?

For the impatient, the answer to this question is definitive.

Not necessarily.

Too Human began it' s long drawn-out life as an original Playstation title, first shown to the public nine years ago at E3 ' 99. We saw one last video of the title at SpaceWorld 2000 before it dropped off the grid entirely, and was moved to the Nintendo Gamecube. After an exclusivity deal with Nintendo lasting four years, Silicon Knights broke away and signed yet-another deal, this time with Microsoft, for a trilogy revolving around the Too Human universe. Obviously, by this time next to no original assets remained as even reference for the new title. The 360 version is a bog standard Level the Dungeon and Level-Up experience, whereas the original was penned to be a psychological thriller dealing with the moral ramifications of cybernetic engineering...

Needless to say, a large part of me pines for the original Too Human.

The plot is a half-contrived amalgam of Norse mythology and the old-English Beowulf myth, and one certainly begins to wonder where those ten years of redesigns went; certainly not into the storyline. It' s the stuff of myths to be sure... the only problem being that the myth they present has been seen time and time again over the years, with the only deviation being cybernetics, which as far as the demo goes did little to effect the progression or development of the story as a whole. As far as I' m concerned, it could have been explained away with magic. There are no particular plot holes in the title. Every human is driven by the survival of their species, and the will to appease the gods, which in-and-of-itself isn' t flawed... it' s just none too interesting either.

Six rehashed myths out of Ten.

VOCAL TALENT

The diologue between characters could have been fantastic, given the larger-than-life nature of the game, but an indecisive script and at-times-abysmal voice acting drags down the cutscenes, realtime, and non-controllable. It feels like the writers were torn between making a spiritual successor to The Lord of The Rings, and Saving Private Ryan, could not decide which provided a more thrilling emotional scope, and settled for a fifty-fifty split. Twenty-first century battle chatter can be heard among epic proclamations of bloodshed and destruction, the likes of which have not been heard on a battlefield for hundreds of years, and frankly put, they do not coexist well. Your larger-than-life compatriot is at times barbaric, and one wonders how he worked his way up to the highly-structured military unit you are supposed to be leading.

To oversimplify it a bit. It' s like taking your favorite ruthless LEGO pirate as a child, and placing him in amongst your highly-intelligent, technologically superior Star Wars LEGOs... certain characters simply feel out of place.

Five " RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" s out of Ten.

SOUND EFFECTS AND SCORE

Top-notch. The battles are raucous, the score is emotive, and the ranged weapons all sound suitably powerful. I have no complaints in this department.

Ten black sheep out of Ten.

GRAPHICS

Too Human is the epitome of a graphical mixed bag. I' m running short on time, as I' ve intentionally procrastinated with this section, so I' ll suffice for writing a few mini-sections.

Characters - Baldur and the other primary characters are all suitably detailed, though from a distance the illuminated detail on their faces looks quite poor. The secondary characters are as bland as they are homologous. Soldiers in your unit run across the planet in stilted jerky animation, with no regard for the ground underneath them. They don' t run, so much as slide across the terrain whilst moving their legs.

Weapons - Pretty, but uninspired.

Environments - Large and architecturally intriguing, but repetitive after the first cavern. Valhalla is gorgeous, but you spend a small amount of time there, and the time you do is crippled by a lack of real gameplay.

This is my main graphical gripe with the title. Not in that the caverns look bad... but in that Valhalla looks so good. Were I in charge, I would have a much larger component of the game take place there. It proves that SK do in fact have a measure of talent, if not necessarily inspiration, in creating a game environment.

Six out of Ten in the caves.
Nine out of Ten in Valhalla.
Seven out of Ten for weapons and characters.

Avg. Seven out of Ten

GAMEPLAY

Hack and Slash, Lock-on Shooter dungeon crawling. I imagined I would spend a large amount of time on this section, but it' s wound up being rather short compared to my original draft, probably because the gameplay is so simple.

Hack, slash, shoot, hack, slash, shoot, slide, shoot, jump hackslash hackslash.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can tell Dyack took some serious pages out of God of War with the gameplay, which isn' t necessarily a bad thing... at least he didn' t try something revolutionary with Microsoft' s full backing, and fail miserably, it' s just that... well... God of War does it better. It emulates everything, the hack and slash, the jump attacks, even the mounting bosses has been rehashed, all in a slightly more cumbersome fashion than it' s PS2 spiritual successor.

It does surpass God of War in some elements however, if only because the hardware limitations are fewer on the 360. There are a relatively large amount of enemies on screen at one time, far more than God of War, but certainly nothing jaw-dropping, in scope or variety especially given the cavernous environments. Even with fifty or more enemies on screen, it still feels small due to the scale of the rooms you fight in. On this note, the enemies are bland... it doesn' t belong here, but they' re totally homogeneous robot monsters... Silicon could have done so much better.

Eight Hacks and/or Slashes out of Ten

MECHANICS

The camera is broken... inexcusably broken.

That might not be the most grammatically correct method of beginning a section, but it warrants the first spot, because it' s a huge problem when you play the game.

While the game draws praise for it' s usage of the right thumbstick for combat, it leaves the camera literally hanging in the breeze. Apart from the left bumper, which centers the camera on Baldur, you have no control whatsoever. Your camera is panned back enough to be functional, but never enough to enjoy the environment you are in, nor is it intuitive enough to respond quickly to change in direction. This is an intentional feature no doubt, however a serious flaw when half of your arsenal consists of ranged weapons. The camera will eventually circle around you to face your character' s direction, however only after waiting still for a solid second, which can be an eternity while you are being assailed by five meelee grunts and a rocket robot.

Spyro the Dragon had a better camera, and that game managed to be released on time.

I usually don' t devote an entire section of my reviews to artificial intelligence, but this one really does deserve an entire paragraph all to it' s own.

Grunts flock towards you en massè, moving akin to grains of sand in an hourglass. They have no sense of self preservation, no defense, no tactics of any variety. Their sole purpose is to surround you in such number that it is nigh impossible to kill them all without taking damage. The occasional stereotypical rocket enemy crouches at a distance, and fires a maelstrom of irritating missiles towards you and your men, frequently hitting you due to your preoccupation with dispatching the small cloud of grunts encircling you, almost always causing the framerate to chug.

Which leads me to the framerate of the game entire. There were multiple occasions in the beginning of the demo when I was looking for framerate anomalies, where I confused some jiggity animation for a framerate chug, but didn' t really notice any framerate problems until a few specific moments. the first framerate issue occurs when you combine a high enemy count and rockets. The game runs relatively steady, with a few hitches until you combine these two, and then you can see a noticeable dip in framerate, down to the mid to low twenties, and on one occasion even further. If you don' t believe me, set up this situation, and then jump frequently. You' ll see it.

The second is while you' re battling the hammer boss. At times it would slip back down to the mid to low twenties, although it was less frequent than the previous instances.

The game runs in and around the thirty frame per second mark, but it' s far from rock solid.

...but then again, we knew they' d been having optimization troubles for months.

Seven prayers for a better camera in the sequel out of Ten.

CONCLUSION

Too Human is a shining example of what happens when a game gets delayed for an entire decade. The inspiration and shine the original title may have had is marred by frequent revisions, shoddy voice acting, and dare I say it? A lack of polish.

I can hardly believe I' m saying this... but... the game that took over a decade to produce, could benefit from a few more months in the oven.

It has some amazing potential. However without any inkling as to the quality of the multiplayer, and judging on the sole qualities presented in the single-player demo, it' s far from the massive revolutionary success pointed to by David Dyack, Silicon Knights and the Gaming Media at large. I' ll be keeping my eyes peeled for the sequel, as this game may just be the next-gen proving ground Silicon Knights needed to get rolling for what may some day be an entertaining saga...

However, for now?

It' s nothing more than a weekend rental.

THE FINAL WORD

Six or Seven sobbing 2Pacs out of Ten.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 15 Jul 08 6:05:30 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 14:36
Fight Night Round 4

Left4Dead

kickass

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 15:04
Nice write up eddie but i dont agree with all that you have said (Surprise surprise [:P] )

First off I wouldnt compare this to God of war . Your complain about the hack , slash repeat thing can be extended to almost 90% of all rpgs . The camera while definitely not ideal isnt as bad as you make it sound . A LB tap repositions the camera behind you . Did you try all the 6 camera angles ? I played through all the angles and was most comfortable with the ' far' one . Some prefer the back or the close angles so its more of a personal choice . I seriously didnt experience any frame rate issues . The game was never unplayable as far I can tell . You didnt mention how there are no loading screens . Seemless transition from game play to cut scenes and vice versa . Why no mention about the loot ? That is one of the most exciting thing about the game .

You gave the story a ' 6' . Again I beg to differ . The story is better than most games coming out . And I dont think you visit Valhalla in the demo . You have the cave , Asgard and cyberspace .

I really think you need to play the demo multiple times to actually appreciate the combat . Its deeper than it seems at first . Dont stop playing after the first play through .

I would give the game a 9 because I am fan but realistically its an 8 - 8.5 game .
< Message edited by 2pac -- 15 Jul 08 7:07:51 >

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 15:32
The only thing I disagree with both Eddie and 2pac is: How the hell can either of you tell whether the story is a " half-contrived amalgam of Norse mythology and the old-English Beowulf myth" (Eddie) or " better than most games" (2pac) from a demo?

Sure, the source material may have been done to death, but is still good mythology (Eddie), but at the same time, just cause it has a good source doesn' t mean that it will end up being a good re-telling either (2pac). Other than that, I though Eddie' s impressions sounded pretty objective. 2pac, I don' t know how to take yours since you are a little bias towards Too Human, but I liked it that at least you tried to give it an objective score after you said what you personally thought this game would rank for you.
< Message edited by chimura -- 15 Jul 08 7:34:35 >

locopuyo
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 16:05
I don' t agree with the camera angle issue. It really isn' t that bad at all. I also didn' t experience the frame rate problems you' re talking about. My impression from the demo is a 7, but if you the co-op is awesome I would put it at an 8, if it sucks I would lower it to a 6. I just wish you could try the co-op in the demo, because really, that would be the only reason I get it.

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 16:18
There seems to be a glitch in the character selection . There is a way to select even the locked classes in the demo .. I am off to play as the defender wohoooooo ..

Demo glitch
< Message edited by 2pac -- 15 Jul 08 8:19:11 >

locopuyo
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 18:19
i played through again as the champion, and I' m liking this game even more. It gets a lot more fun as you learn all of the moves and get more. I did experience a few seconds of slow frame rate, but it was pretty rare and acceptable.

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 19:14
Eddie, ...you' re a star. It certainly ties with what i' ve been hearing and what i expected.

I' ll play the demo myself when i get home on Saturday night and likely tear it to pieces myself...

Oh yeah, ...and EA own!
< Message edited by nitro -- 15 Jul 08 11:14:55 >

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 19:28
Eddie' s views are as biased as mine . No offense eddie but I dont think that write up was unbiased . You were biased against TH as most of the people here are . It is but natural that you will see those minor problems which otherwise you wouldnt have noticed . How many times did you play the demo ? Did you actually give the game a chance . Did you check the adv combat menu to check all the moves ? As i said before you missed out the single most compelling thing about the game which the devs have been talking about , the loot system . As loco said the more you play the better it gets .

/ fan rant

< Message edited by 2pac -- 15 Jul 08 13:10:55 >

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 19:51

ORIGINAL: 2pac

Eddie' s views are as biased as mine . No offense eddie but I dont think that write up was unbiased . You were biased against TH as most of the people here are . It is but natural that you will see those minor problems which otherwise you wouldnt have noticed . How many times did you play the demo ? Did you actually give the game a chance . Did you check the adv combat menu to check all the moves ? As i said before you missed out the single most compelling thing about the game which the devs have been talking about the loot system . As loco said the more you play the better it gets .

/ fan rant

Eddie isn' t biased. That' s why i wanted his impressions in particular.

Look dude, ...if i' m hearing the same stuff from people who work in games development studios half way accross the world from where Eddie is sitting... there' s obviously something to it. I haven' t got time to check myself this week, ...i' m really busy, but i' ll be able to see for myself at some point and so what are you going to say if i ratify what Eddie has said? Discrediting my opinion won' t be that easy. I don' t want the game to bomb, but i' ll tell it like it is.

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 19:55
Absolutely . I never told him or anybody else to like the game . But I am going to defend the game till I am banned or something

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 20:14

canadagamer
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 22:51
Excellent review as usual Eddie.

I have a simple question to ask those who have played the Too Human demo, and I think it is a very important question.

Did you have fun playing through the demo?
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Nitro
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 23:02
...yeah, would you spend $60 on it?

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 15, 2008 23:37
Eddie is bias.

ANd ff13 for 360?

sony must cry irl.

DMC gone
GTA gone
FF gone

hahhaa no exclusives.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 16, 2008 00:07

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Eddie is bias.

Now what do you have to say nitro ?

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 16, 2008 00:29

Did you have fun playing through the demo?

Yes.

No. I' ll be renting it, and likely keeping it overdue however.

First off I wouldnt compare this to God of war .

I would. The similarities are too striking to avoid making mention of it. Similar attacks, similar style of combat (I pointed out months ago that the knock-into-air-and-slash mechanic looked almost identical to that of God of War), similar upgrade system (though more skill set focused than God of War, obviously).

Look, Pac, I never said it was a bad thing. I gave the gameplay an eight out of ten. That' s wholly respectable, especially so compared to my critical review of the rest of the title. I' m merely stating that Knights borrowed a lot of the solid concepts that
SCE Santa Monica made a killing on.

You gave the story a ' 6' . Again I beg to differ . The story is better than most games coming out .
The only thing I disagree with both Eddie and 2pac is: How the hell can either of you tell whether the story is a " half-contrived amalgam of Norse mythology and the old-English Beowulf myth" (Eddie) or " better than most games" (2pac) from a demo?

" " The player takes on the role of Baldur, one of the Aesir. In the ancient past, the Norse gods truly existed in the form of cybernetically enhanced humans. Baldur, son of Odin, is one of these gods and it is his duty to protect the human race from an onslaught of an advancing machine presence determined to eradicate all human life." "

Now... when you say " better" ....

The Matrix
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Halo

And those are just the ones that come to mind on the fly. I have my gripes about all of these, but they all presented the same concept in a more engaging fashion than Too Human, and all in the last nine years (the time it took to get Too Human out the door, from conception to DVD)

And I dont think you visit Valhalla in the demo . You have the cave , Asgard and cyberspace .

Noted. I' ll make the change when I re-edit the preview tonight. Thanks.

The camera while definitely not ideal isnt as bad as you make it sound . A LB tap repositions the camera behind you . Did you try all the 6 camera angles ?

Yes I did, and while each one suited me for different applications, it doesn' t replace a free-moving orbital camera, a staple in games since the beginning of the last generation. Even Mario 64, which had one analog stick and a horrendous button layout to work with managed to provide adequate control over your camera.

I' m playing a game in 2008. Ten years ago, this would have been just fine, five years ago this would have been acceptable, but acceptable doesn' t cut it when your game is being hailed as a serious contender with the 2008/2009 season' s kickass lineup, and it certainly doesn' t cut it when there has been an adequate camera solution for almost a decade. The analog stick combat brings nothing extraordinary to the table, and severely cripples your camera' s mobility...

not what I' d call revolutionary.

I really think you need to play the demo multiple times to actually appreciate the combat . Its deeper than it seems at first . Dont stop playing after the first play through .

Do you think I spent 2 hours on just one playthrough? I took my sweet time reviewing the demo, and believe me when I say that I really did want to give it a fighting chance. It just isn' t the stellar title promised to us for all those years.

As I stated in the review last night, it will get solid enough critical reception to greenlight the next two games in the series, and with any luck SK will sort out the issues brought up in this game by sequel time. I' m not

Eddie is bias.

Now what do you have to say

2pac
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 16, 2008 00:38
Fair enough . I still dont think a totally action oriented game like God of war can be compared to Too Human . But I see how you are comparing the two . Too human has the basic combat system in place like an action game . Normal attack , fierce attack , finisher . The only difference being instead of mapping them on the face buttons they are mapped to the analog stick .

I didnt mean to say that you are purposely trying to find faults with the game . Since you werent that excited about the game from the beginning you will have some blocks for sure . I think the demo is awesome but it doesnt show enough to convert a non-believer .

Edit : Also what did you think of the loot system ? I feel that is one area where you would not have too many complaints . A good variety of weapons and armors .
< Message edited by 2pac -- 15 Jul 08 16:43:41 >

canadagamer
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 16, 2008 01:32

I have had it pre-ordered for what has seemed like forever.

I stated before that the only reason why I might not get Too Human would be the camera, and after playing the demo and finding the right angle for me, I have no worries whatsoever with the camera. The problems the media has brought up concerning the camera problems are extremely exaggerated. The camera in both DMC and NG are far worse than in Too Human IMO.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Too Human demo up on XBL - Jul 16, 2008 02:27

quote:

Eddie is bias.

Now what do you have to say

You dare argue with Quez!
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 45