Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come"

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 10:01

PlayStation business head Kaz Hirai admitted to having a " difficult time" with PlayStation 3' s launch, due in part to Sony' s initially framing it as a broad media system as opposed to a video game console.

" However, by refocusing the positioning of PS3 first and foremost as a gaming platform, we were able to bring an attractive title lineup and achieve a sufficient number of PS3 sales as expected in the fiscal year 2007 holiday season," Hirai said.

Now that developers are no longer " confused," Hirai said, the console can begin to realize its potential. " As PlayStation 3 approaches the second anniversary of its release, the release of PS3 software titles with the true generation quality only available on PS3 is accelerating," he said, citing Metal Gear Solid 4 as one such title.

At least he didn' t say " next-gen" .

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 10:37
But what about Ridge Racer? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 12:59
He says the same thing every six months , its getting really annoying .

mastachefbkw
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 13:04
Was it Kaz or Ken who made the 4-D statement?

Adam Doree
  • Total Posts : 1113
  • Reward points : 46210
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 16:51
Yes, well, Blinx 2 claimed to be " 5D" . And that was from Microsoft.

Conclusion: Everyone talks shit, not just Sony.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200406/017.asp

ORIGINAL: Me, 2004
5D? You what? The forthcoming game, subtitled Masters of Time & Space, is described by Microsoft as " the world' s first 5-D game" , as it gives players control over both Time and Space.

When I last went to school, that was still only four dimensions (the three dimensions of space, and time being the fourth). The nature of the fifth dimension is is largely agreed by the science world to be a " moral dimension" that measures a depth of good and a depth of bad. This idea is nowhere to be seen in Blinx. So whereas the original' s label as 4D was just creative with marketing the truth, in that ALL games offer time (or they wouldn' t exist for any length of time at all), this is just insulting the game' s target audience. But what do I know, I' m just a gamer.

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 17:16
With Bluray beating HDDVD it is interesting that Sony are now putting almost zero advertising into the format. With the exception of those recent games which have bloated to fill a whole Bluray disc I don' t think we' ve seen anything yet on the PS3 that couldn' t run on a 360 just as well. That' s not to say we won' t considering the PS3' s supposed immense power, but there isn' t anything I' ve seen previews of necessarily pushes the boundaries yet.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 27, 2008 22:48
5d? pfft thats lame, 8d is where its at.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 28, 2008 03:32

The nature of the fifth dimension is is largely agreed by the science world to be a " moral dimension" that measures a depth of good and a depth of bad.

That' s news to me. From what little I' ve gleaned of quantum physics , there might be additional dimensions, a dozen or so, which exist in inconceivably small threads within our three-dimensional reality.

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 28, 2008 10:25

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

5d? pfft thats lame, 8d is where its at.

Haha.
But what is it now 2 years after, the " true potential" games are being released or are to come but by 2009 MS will unveil Xbox 512-HD? And by 2010 new consoles will be born. PS4 <---Terry keeps you alive
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

GrayFox
  • Total Posts : 356
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 01:05

Conclusion: Everyone talks shit, not just Sony.

Thats right. The problem is Sony are repeating tha same $%^& for a long time now.[:' (]

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 02:02
I like Kaz. Kikizo had a fantastic video interview with him a while back, and while we all had our fun with the Ridge Racer line, he' s without a doubt the most solid mind up top at Sony right now. Giving him Ken Kutaragi' s spot was the smartest thing Sony' s done this generation.

Haha.
But what is it now 2 years after, the " true potential" games are being released or are to come but by 2009 MS will unveil Xbox 512-HD? And by 2010 new consoles will be born. PS4 <---Terry keeps you alive

Don' t expect Xbox 3 until 2011-2012.

I don' t think we' ve seen anything yet on the PS3 that couldn' t run on a 360 just as well.

MGS4

" As PlayStation 3 approaches the second anniversary of its release, the release of PS3 software titles with the true generation quality only available on PS3 is accelerating,"

How is he talking out of his ass?

MGS4
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
SOCOM
LittleBigPlanet

Sony is going to have a great year, you' d have a hard time debating that. I don' t see what the fuss is here.

2pac
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 02:15
Are you implying MGS4 couldnt run on a 360 ? Space constraint will obviously be an issue but i doubt 360 couldnt handle those visuals .

he' s without a doubt the most solid mind up top at Sony right now.

Thats not saying much

PS3 is getting great titles this year for sure but saying every 6 months that the true potential of the PS3 is yet to be realized is unnecessary . Its almost as if Sony are trying to give excuses as to why the ps3 games are not looking leaps and bounds over their competition as they claimed/claim they would .
< Message edited by 2pac -- 28 Jun 08 18:18:20 >

Kelvinellenton
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 03:37

How is he talking out of his ass?

MGS4
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
SOCOM
LittleBigPlanet

Didn' t that get moved to next year?
< Message edited by Kelvinellenton -- 28 Jun 08 19:38:04 >

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 03:44
Yes, I mean from now until this time next year.

I don' t bother using calendar-years as reference. The year ends right in the middle of gaming' s biggest season anyhow.

Edit:

Are you implying MGS4 couldnt run on a 360 ? Space constraint will obviously be an issue but i doubt 360 couldnt handle those visuals .

It could handle the visuals just fine, with the right optimization, however it' s ability to run the visuals on par with the PS3 is irrelevant if you can' t fit the game' s contents onto the media.

Depending on what is taking up the majority of the space, you could fit the game onto five disks, but that' s so 1991.

Thats not saying much

PS3 is getting great titles this year for sure but saying every 6 months that the true potential of the PS3 is yet to be realized is unnecessary . Its almost as if Sony are trying to give excuses as to why the ps3 games are not looking leaps and bounds over their competition as they claimed/claim they would .

No, it' s not, but I' d rather have one competent man than a room of asshats.

They' re not, but they' re looking leaps and bounds better than this time a year, or two years ago. I predicted the 360 to have immediately better visuals because of their unified RAM, with the PS3 undergoing a heavy curve as developers learned to better work with Sony' s hardware, and nothing thus far has proven me wrong.

< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 28 Jun 08 19:58:44 >

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 04:30

Of course not. The 360 would implode and red ring itself to death just trying to run Snake' s sheer awesomeness

For those 360 fanboys out there, that was a joke
< Message edited by chimura -- 28 Jun 08 20:30:44 >

Kelvinellenton
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 04:32

Of course nor. The 360 would implode just trying to run Snake' s sheer awesomeness

And then implode again to contain all the hints to Mr. Kojima' s crush on some supermodel, playboymagazines and cracking of the balls of a statue

mastachefbkw
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 04:41

Of course not. The 360 would implode and red ring itself to death just trying to run Snake' s sheer awesomeness
If you were to put MGS4 in a 360 it would start spewing blood and organs from the disc drive.

2pac
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 13:14

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

with the PS3 undergoing a heavy curve as developers learned to better work with Sony' s hardware, and nothing thus far has proven me wrong.

You working for the Sony PR office ?

I dont remember who pointed it out with all the specs and stuff i think it was Nitro , that the actual difference between the visuals will not be that much . Sony keeps saying about the ' true potential' of the ps3 , if the true potential of the ps3 is going to be realised only in 2012 , i will get the ps3 in 2012 . MY point is they dont need to stay shit like this . The PS3 games look great as it is .

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 16:52

Depending on what is taking up the majority of the space, you could fit the game onto five disks, but that' s so 1991

If the cutscenes in MGS werent pre recorded, i dont think the 360 would have much trouble fitting everything on a maximum of two disks.

KongRudi
  • Total Posts : 220
  • Reward points : 8255
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 17:35
There are two pre-recorded cutscenes in MGS4.
The rest are in-engine.

It' s not anything on 360 wich makes a Microsoft' s bytes smaller, compared to Sony' s bytes on PS3.
It' s just using a different media, wich also are smaller.

If you could assume that MS allowed Konami to release it for the 360-users wich had harddrives, and therefore Konami could use archives, like they currently do on the Bluray-disk, you would get it on 5 DVD' s I believe.

During each act, they extract a archive full of heavily compressed data onto your harddrive. Wich get' s deleted when you move onto next act.
They' ve done this to reduce pressing time, and thus get cheaper production, not because they didn' t have more room on the Bluray.
That' s why the collector' s edition comes with a second Bluray, even tough there are space left on the game-disk, I guess.

I think, that maybe MGS Online will be ported to 360, some time in the future.
But I don' t think that Singleplayer MGS4 will get ported, especially concidering that they will need to completely redo parts of the game.

Hopefully, if MGS Online get' s ported, there won' t be need to hassle with Konami ID..

Just out of curiosity, would people here on Kikizo buy a 360 MGS Online (Let' s say 40$), if you didn' t get the story aswell, or would you feel the version were to gimped?

Would the ability to beeing able to finally crotch-grab people wich are giving you grief, calling you gay and similar, weigh up for that?
< Message edited by kongrudi -- 29 Jun 08 9:39:35 >

2pac
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 18:20

ORIGINAL: KongRudi

Would the ability to beeing able to finally crotch-grab people wich are giving you grief, calling you gay and similar, weigh up for that?

WTF ?????

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 19:51

like they currently do on the Bluray-disk, you would get it on 5 DVD' s I believe.

Why?

The textures in metal gear isnt extremely high resolution, its just slightly above average, what puts MGS apart is its high poly models but those dont take up a lot of space.

The sound takes up a lot of space as well, but i reckon thats not compressed that much since they dont have to.

If Mass Effect comes on one disc, MGS would easily go on 2 discs.

2pac
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 29, 2008 22:45
Exactly what i was thinking . I guess the devs would not compress the textures while developing for the ps3 simply because they dont have to . The cut scenes will probably be the only reason why you cant jam in to a disc or two . I feel LO could have easily come in a disc or at the most two discs if it werent for the cut scenes .

mastachefbkw
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 30, 2008 10:22

Just out of curiosity, would people here on Kikizo buy a 360 MGS Online (Let' s say 40$), if you didn' t get the story aswell, or would you feel the version were to gimped?
The only part of MGS I like is the story. I don' t like the gameplay much at all, and paying $40 for the shit end of a $60 game doesn' t sound like my cup of Tea.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 30, 2008 10:26

ORIGINAL: 2pac

Exactly what i was thinking . I guess the devs would not compress the textures while developing for the ps3 simply because they dont have to . The cut scenes will probably be the only reason why you cant jam in to a disc or two . I feel LO could have easily come in a disc or at the most two discs if it werent for the cut scenes .

They sure as hell compress the textures with only 256 mb of video memory.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 30, 2008 10:40

There are two pre-recorded cutscenes in MGS4.
The rest are in-engine.

Not true.

All of the cutscenes are video files, ...there are only two that you can' t zoom in on.

All of the cutscenes are in-engine, but none are running in realtime.

Blah blah blah... usual pro-Sony bullshit... Blu-Ray pwns... etc etc etc...

No.

I think, that maybe MGS Online will be ported to 360, some time in the future.
But I don' t think that Singleplayer MGS4 will get ported, especially concidering that they will need to completely redo parts of the game.

Like replacing the DualShock controller with a 360 controller. Yeah, ...it' d need some major fucking surgery... Better not bother then...

But no, i can' t see the game being ported, ...even the multiplayer. Y' see, 360 owners wouldn' t like the online mode. Because it blows. They might all be racist, abusive little fuckers, ...but they know what they like, ...and MGO is just too Sony.

Same thing with Resistance. To the PlayStation gamer it was/is awesome, because they never had anything like that with PS2 (just SOCOM), ...but compared to Xbox/360 games is was a mess. A game from a developer who had never put out an online game before, on a console that didn' t have a proper online service, for gamers who' s only experience with the internet was checking their emails at college.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 30, 2008 11:43

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

The textures in metal gear isnt extremely high resolution, its just slightly above average, what puts MGS apart is its high poly models but those dont take up a lot of space.

Actually the models in MGS were very low poly. From a technical aspect MGS really wasn' t anything special. It was all in the art direction just like the previous games. The environments were quite basic and pretty low poly overall. Characters were also quite low poly, especially side characters. The main characters' faces were pushing some polys but even on Snake I had no problem picking out polygons especially in comparison to some other games. The textures, too, as you mentioned weren' t all that high res. I know people say it was hard to find ' blurry textures' but that doesn' t mean they weren' t low res in many many areas (and I did find my fair share of blurry textures right from the get go). The textures in MGS were very clean and very basic, just like the previous installments.

What makes MGS stand out visually was the astounding art direction, the animation, and some of the best normal maps I' ve seen (Snake' s normal map was immaculate!). It technically from what I could tell wasn' t really pushing any major boundaries. After finishing Uncharted a couple days ago I' ll even say from a technical standpoint that game was more impressive. Still, MGS4 is easily unmatched in overall visual quality and presentation and that' s all that really matters when you' re looking at the graphics. You can have the greatest, most technically advanced engine ever made but unless you have great art direction backing it up it means nothing.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 30 Jun 08 3:44:37 >
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jun 30, 2008 11:48

You working for the Sony PR office ?

No, I just don' t buy into partisan bullshit. People bitched and whined when the PS3 first released, because with the exception of Resistance and Genji, titles for the first six months looked like shit, and I claimed that once the developers got their bearings, games would be looking lovely...

...and they did.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jul 01, 2008 07:12
I still dont think killzone 2 looks that great.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

mastachefbkw
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jul 01, 2008 08:35

I still dont think killzone 2 looks that great.
I think it looks pretty good, although, I don' t see where people see fit to say " ZOMG IT TEH BLOWZ GEARS OUT OF TEH WATTTTER!!!!1!!!

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Kaz Hirai: " True Generation" PS3 Titles To Come" - Jul 01, 2008 21:40

Yes, well, Blinx 2 claimed to be " 5D" . And that was from Microsoft

Adam I know nothing about physics,I know we live in a 3d world but isnt one dimension time?
I think that might have been one thing about blinx...
I mean you do control the time since you can rewind and pause(pause in that sense that just everything around you stops but not the player).
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 1 Jul 08 13:42:38 >
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.