Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 06:15

I wish to explore that feeling of togetherness and understanding of what it is like to go through the grieving process. I present my design, titled Bereavement in Blacksburg, and hope that it is a step in the right direction to expressing such feelings in an interactive medium. I fully admit these thoughts aren' t fully fleshed out, even after I attempted to build this game for months, due to the difficulty with exploring these emotions and the scope that I felt it would take.

Heir' s concept pits the player as a Virginia Tech student waking up the day after the shootings and trying to cope with the emotional impact. A hidden " grief score" tracks how the player deals with with his character' s girlfriend and other students on campus following those terrible events. Heir acknowledges that his ideas are rough. He' s looking for feedback.

Wow. The thoughts that were running through my head when I clicked this...

GOTY!!!!

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 08:57
I guess I can appreciate the attempt in some way... although I doubt whether the project can be realized. Grief and mourning are weirdly hidden, generally isolated in American culture. Strange for something that everyone deals with multiple times throughout their lives (I mean in a general sense, not in unusual situations like mass shootings), that it ends up being something most people endure alone to a large degree.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 27 Jun 08 0:58:16 >

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 12:42
I was hoping for a FPS
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

mastachefbkw
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 13:06
There was something on the news about 2 months after it happened and a kid who was one of the victims of the shooting made a game about the hokie mascot killing Asians.

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 14:11
That would be banned, stuff like GTA barely is able to slide in despite the fact that its rated for adults.

They have made movies with school shooting/killing themes and it' s ok though.
< Message edited by emofag -- 27 Jun 08 6:11:24 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 14:47
This wouldn' t work as a game. He should write a book instead.

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 27, 2008 22:56

This wouldn' t work as a game. He should write a book instead.

He should write fanfiction instead, then noone would have to pay to read it
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

mastachefbkw
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 28, 2008 03:01
The sad thing is that no matter what this game is about, it would still sell in my area(and probably just about everywhere in the US). This thing made every store on Virginia Tech' s campus rich.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 28, 2008 03:12
He' s got every right to express that however he feels necessary, but it' s not going to be the feel good family game of the year, to be sure. I' m not sure why he' s bothering with a game format.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Virginia Tech Graduate wants to make a game about the shooting - Jun 28, 2008 03:19
Maybe he should label it as an interactive counseling tool rather than as a game.