Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes?

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 00:20
LINK

A number of gamers are reporting that the Xbox 360 version of the game is causing major freezing issues and the ' Red Ring of Death' for a minority of consoles. A thread which is running over on Xbox.com reveals the full extent of the problem.

" If you guys actually read and check Rockstar' s official GTA IV forums, you' ll find out that they are aware of the freezing problems for PS3 and 360. Their current workaround is: " Delete your saved game, and start over." " said one member.

Further investigation by another member lead to this:

" As it stands, there’s no fix. But we did some research and believe we have the answer as to why this is happening.

Rockstar, in their very finite wisdom designed the game to have no loading times. That’s great, except for the fact that GTA IV now overloads the cache and causes a lock-up (freeze). So now, instead of saving load times and providing a seamless experience, Rockstar has forced some machines to crash while attempting to load from the cache.

The solution: Rockstar needs to release a patch that limits the strain on the RAM right out of the gate. Can they even do this? Who knows? They haven’t managed to make a game that doesn’t freeze in two years. Unless you count the mega epic “Table Tennis”."

Another member has reported other issues with the game as well: " Im having a freezing issue but another issue aswell. When I put the game in my disk stops spinning, makes scratching noises, and then works for 5 mins or freezes right away. Ive replaced the disk 2 times now and each disk has the same problems. But its just GTA not any other disk i have. This happening to anyone else?"

I thought my faulty drive was responsible for the problems I was experiencing, but I fall distinctly under one of the categories they mention in the article. Anybody else here?
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 3 Jun 08 16:30:40 >

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 00:31
I had the freezing problem, and it happened a lot, probably after every second completed mission. As soon as I would complete the mission, it would try to load the next mission and the game would freeze.

Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 00:38
It all kicked off on GAF the day of release, mostly PS3' s.

They' re since released a patch and it appears to have fixed the problems for the PS3 users.

I haven' t experienced any freezes or crashes myself. This is one of the reason why i bought the PS3 version. I figured the Xbox 360 version was more risky.

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 00:40
Has the patch resolved the multiplayer issues as well?

I have GTA on the 360 and have a couple of freezes and also some stuttering, but I cleared the cache down and it seems to be ok now.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 00:50
I think I encountered once freeze during GTA and that was while ordering a burger to refill my health. The game itself didn' t freeze as characters were still walking around but Niko and the cashier were locked up, they just wouldn' t move even after a few minutes so I had to restart. That was my only problem.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Kelvinellenton
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 01:12

Original: Nitro
They' re since released a patch and it appears to have fixed the problems for the PS3 users.

Didn' t that just fix the PS3 multiplayer problems?(Or some of them)

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 03:16
It' s only frozen once for me. Forget a patch for this crap, how about they patch the sloppy-ass controls for once in their goddam careers! Perfect 10, thanks a lot game " journalists."

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Is GTAIV Locking Up Boxes? - Jun 04, 2008 07:35
I haven' t had and problems out o my copy, but I have two friends who had a problem where they put in the game and it came out with cuts the size of the San Andreas fault.