Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 48
Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 04:12

SAN FRANCISCO –April 28, 2008 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world' s largest video game publishers, announced that a new Prince of Persia is scheduled to release Holiday 2008 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC. This new Prince of Persia marks the debut of the critically acclaimed franchise on next-generation consoles. Developed by Ubisoft' s award winning Montreal studio that brought you Assassin' s Creed(TM) and the same all-star team that created the previously acclaimed Prince of Persia® Sands of Time trilogy, Prince of Persia is opening a new chapter in the Prince of Persia universe, featuring a new breed of gameplay. The game is poised to rejuvenate the action-adventure genre in addition to introducing a brand-new illustrative art style.

Ubisoft will also release a Prince of Persia game specifically designed for the Nintendo DS(TM) system, featuring an entirely new storyline and new characters. More details to be unveiled in the future.

About the Prince of Persia Franchise Since Prince of Persia® Sands of Time' s launch in 2003, Prince of Persia has won over 30 awards worldwide, including the highly coveted Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2003' s Console Platform Best Action/Adventure Game of the Year for Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time(TM). To date, the Prince of Persia franchise has sold approximately 10,3 million units worldwide.

Check www.princeofpersiagame.com regularly for more news.

now this is just boring stuff, no images or anything

In anycase, more Sands of Time, less Warrior Within!

Kelvinellenton
  • Total Posts : 454
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 04:23
Sounds good... Although I' m hoping that they will concentrate more on AC2 than on Prince Of Persia

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 04:42
AC can take backstage for Prince of Persia any day of the week. The fact that is supposed to come out this year has me even more excited

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 04:47
I hated AC, even more than i hated Condemned 2, and more than im hating RVS2, which is a crappy game, im not sure ill ever play it again when i get GTA tomorrow!

Oh shit i made the thread about GTA

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 04:50

Oh shit i made the thread about GTA

You know you wanted to

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 05:04
Well i actually havent liked a GTA since GTA2, they' ve been too loose!

Id like a modern GTA2, semi future! that be awesome!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 05:08
They' re all going to be like that for the next couple of days. Don' t fight it.

Prince of Persia is on a slow decline. The first game was amazing for the time, but the second and third really left much to be desired. God of War destroys the combat, and I frankly enjoy Assassin' s Creed' s free-running more than I do the latter Prince of Persia games. Say what you will about the combat and the repetitive nature of the title, it has some of the cleanest animations, and most entertaining platforming since the original PoP.

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 05:13

Well i actually havent liked a GTA since GTA2, they' ve been too loose!

Id like a modern GTA2, semi future! that be awesome!

Haha, I am quite the opposite. I never played the first two, but III, VC and SA, I didn' t have problems with the idea, but the execution was terrible for me gameplay wise. GTAIV looks like it has fixed all of those and I am quite excited.

Prince of Persia is on a slow decline. The first game was amazing for the time, but the second and third really left much to be desired. God of War destroys the combat, and I frankly enjoy Assassin' s Creed' s free-running more than I do the latter Prince of Persia games. Say what you will about the combat and the repetitive nature of the title, it has some of the cleanest animations, and most entertaining platforming since the original PoP.

I agree that the last two had nothing on Sands of Time. And I do enjoy AC' s free running more, is awesome. But as a whole, AC falls flat, while the PoP trilogy is, at the very least, always engaging.

I think it was kind of unfair to compare GoW' s combat to that of PoP. The focus for both franchises are different, is like if I compared the platforming in PoP to GoW and NG, the winner is quite clear And in that regard, though NG is my favorite of the three, PoP' s combat (at least for WW and TT) is better implemented than the platform sections for NG and GoW (I have only played the first GoW and I am basing my opinion only on that).
< Message edited by chimura -- 28 Apr 08 21:15:43 >

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 05:18
It better not be a movie tie-in...

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 05:39

It better not be a movie tie-in...

I was just going to say that I have a funny feeling that this will be a movie tie-in.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 07:35
I dont care what you guys say, WW was the best one... sure it lost some charm which the other two had and the swearing could have been toned down... but it easily had the best mix of fun platforming and a deep combat system. and it had the best story in the series (altough two thrones did a nice job of tieing things up), mix that up with the Dakaka chasing you throughout the game made it the best pop.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 07:44
This isn' t GTA4, I' m confused.

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 29, 2008 14:32
Actually i think Prince of Persia 2 might be the best one. The original 2d platformer, im sure none of you played it though.

AC free running looks fun and games, but its boring. Its as much fun as running on the ground, just with cooler animation.

PoP beats AC simply because it makes you plan your steps, in AC you just run!

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - Apr 30, 2008 02:45

Actually i think Prince of Persia 2 might be the best one. The original 2d platformer, im sure none of you played it though.

I was one of the lucky few, had it on a CD that came with out first PC in 1993

Me being 6, I never managed to get too far though

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 02:03

Kotaku

Original Article

What you guys think?

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 02:13
i cant say im too positiv about the screen. I dont see the cell shading in a pop game. its not a cartoon.

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 07:20
Yeah, I am not completely sold on the cel-shading, but if they do it well and give it a magical feel, then it may work. I am very intrigued by the duel system though. That' s like a throwback to the PoP of old, one that I really like.

Majik
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 08:15
Cel-shading is fuc.k awesome you morons.

Looks great as far as i' m concerned.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 08:49

Whuh?! Shadow of the Flame was awesome!

I agree with Majik. Cell shading is badass. Any and all questions on that incontestable fact can be presented to the orgasmic Afro Samurai screens released a few weeks ago. However, it does look a little odd in the PoP universe. I don' t know what they' re shooting for, but methinks it' s going to be reminiscent of the rotoscoped look of the first two.

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 11:33
I have nothing against cell shading. I think is really pretty. I am just thinking about how they are gonna use it. If they use to emulate the fairy tale style of the Sands of Time, then I am all for it. If they wanted to recreate the Warrior Within and after atmosphere, then I would be a little worried. I just don' t see it translating.

However, they did make cell shade work with Zelda, so if done properly, I think this can work too.

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 02, 2008 13:38
ohh i love cellshading, but cell shading pop is like cell shading half-life. (well nearly)

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 01:00
....Um.... I agree?

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 01:25

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

ohh i love cellshading, but cell shading pop is like cell shading half-life. (well nearly)

Which is basically Team Fortress 2 and that looks amazing! I think the new PoP visuals are awesome.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 05:59

Which is basically Team Fortress 2

How many headcrabs have you shot in TF2.

If they want to change everything so drasticly, why even use the PoP name.

Rampage99
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:08
Dude, I think the style fits perfectly. PoP:SoT has a very cool style to it. It had good color and did look slightly cartoony, it definitely wasn' t going for realism. The later ones (which weren' t as good) went the dark approach and to be honest I missed the brighter more lively look of SoT. If anything I think the new style is more fitting as a sequel for SoT that the others.

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:16
It doesnt look like PoP, its looks more japaneese than Arabian. They could atleast try and capture the style of the era, i know its only one shot, but if i was making a game id show the style id make the game in.

its Prince of Persia, not Prince of China or Japan og Korea.

Rampage99
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:23
Here' s more images.

I don' t see this guy as Japanese or Korean at all. I guess I wouldn' t say he looks Persian either but I really don' t care. I think the visuals look awesome and I think they fit the gameplay very well (if they are sticking to the tried and true PoP gameplay). I' m far more excited about this one than the last couple titles in the series.

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:30
I must say that judging by these new shots, I am more sold on the style. Like I said, if they follow the SoT style rather than WW and TT, then cell could work perfectly. I like the new Prince model for sure

The claw seems like it will play a part in both acrobatics and combat, and it looks sweet!
< Message edited by chimura -- 2 May 08 22:31:44 >

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:31
The game is probably fine. I just dont see the point in using the name in a game that has nothing in common with the previous ones.

It' s not the same storyline

It' s barely the same prince

Its not the same art style

Seems to me like they were making a game, and thought hey how can we sell more, sure we make it a PoP game. Kinda like Nintendo did with StarFox

Chimura
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:32
Well, the original PoP' s had nothing to do with the current trilogy, so I don' t see why they can' t go in a new direction and still call it PoP.

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:36

Well, the original PoP' s had nothing to do with the current trilogy, so I don' t see why they can' t go in a new direction and still call it PoP.

Well the first ones were many many years ago. You can more easily recreate something thats ancient in the first place.

Rampage99
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:37

The game is probably fine. I just dont see the point in using the name in a game that has nothing in common with the previous ones.

It' s not the same storyline

It' s barely the same prince

Its not the same art style

Seems to me like they were making a game, and thought hey how can we sell more, sure we make it a PoP game. Kinda like Nintendo did with StarFox

That' s like saying GTA:VC shouldn' t be called a GTA game.

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 06:41

That' s like saying GTA:VC shouldn' t be called a GTA game.

no its not!

PoP games always featured the same hero. GTA games never did, they usually dont even feature the same city.

If Valve made a half-life, cellshaded, with no headcrabs, black mesa incident and no gordon, now that would be the same.

Majik
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 09:32
There' s nothing oriental about the new art style. No anime or manga looks like that and save for the characters having a thin black outline it doesn' t share any characteristics with eastern art.

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 10:54
I' ve always wanted someone to make a 3D game that looked completely cel shaded and hand-drawn if you know what I mean. TF2 looks great, but it was just a colourful 3D game.

This looks much more stylish. I never really had much love for the modern PoP series of games, although I enjoyed Two Thrones I guess. So I' m not too bothered they are using it to experiment with. I hope it turns out good.

What was the last 3D cel shaded game Ubi did, XIII? Anyone know if its Ubi Paris on this one too or Montreal again?

Vx Chemical
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 14:57

There' s nothing oriental about the new art style. No anime or manga looks like that and save for the characters having a thin black outline it doesn' t share any characteristics with eastern art.

There is certainly no arabian look about it either.

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 18:42

ORIGINAL: choupolo

What was the last 3D cel shaded game Ubi did, XIII? Anyone know if its Ubi Paris on this one too or Montreal again?

Ubisoft seem to have some experience and impressive tech for cell shading. As I recall their most recent cell shaded game was Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, and that recieved a lot of praise.

Majik
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 21:48

There is certainly no arabian look about it either.

You' re right...

They should just have licensed UE3.0 for it...

Virtua fighter 5
  • Total Posts : 1327
  • Reward points : 4650
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 03, 2008 23:07
God, all this talk because something looks different. Open your creative mind, get out of that cardbaord box and let the developers try something fresh.
Currently playing:
Korg DS 10 (ds) /  Metal Slug 7 (ds)
Rhythm Heaven (ds) /  Fire Emblem (ds)
Super Stardust HD (psn) /  Virtua Fighter 5 (360)
FSX (P

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Prince of Persia Announced (announced, not the annouciation announced) - May 04, 2008 04:59

As I recall their most recent cell shaded game was Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, and that recieved a lot of praise.

Of course, because the use of cel shading was logically motivated since it was an adaptation of a cel-animated series. For PoP, I' m not so sure... (although I do love cel shading as a style and appreciate the cleverness of the technical feat).

They should just have licensed UE3.0 for it...

I hope you' re being somewhat facetious... UE3.0 is a great engine, but I don' t want to see it dominating the industry because it does have its own stylistic limitations and games would become rather bland if they all have that dark and gritty realistic look. As it is I think it' s a style that' s a bit overdone in this era.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 48