Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My new PC!
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 37 of 37
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 04:46

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Just installed Crysis, it runs pretty good on Very High with 1280x768 resolution and 4xAA.

It might get stressed when the bullets start flying ill optimize as i play.

What kind of monitor are you using? If it' s not a CRT then you' d be better off turning AA off completely (including in the NVIDIA control panel) and pumping up the resolution to whatever the native res of your monitor is. Scaling, or playing in a window is just daft, especially when in Crysis AA is one of the most demanding options. I' m playing in 1680 x 1050 with no AA and everything is pin sharp.

Also, make sure you download the 1.1 patch, and if your' re running Vista and decide the framerate isn' t good enough, you can force DX9 by adding -DX9 to the command line. The game runs better in XP, but almost as well in Vista if you run it in DX9 mode. DX9 doesn' t allow for Very High settings though (by default), so you' d either have to play in High, or use a custom CFG to allow for as close as possible to DX10 effects.

The difference between DX9 and DX10 modes is usually about 10fps.
Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 05:54
On a related note, i' ve just ordered my XPS M1730. 10 days delivery is better than Alienwares 4 week lead time. I really wanted the Area 51 m15x, but it' s been plagued with problems and i' m not spending 2K+ on a notebook that will probably need repairing within weeks, so because that put me off the m17x i' ve gone for the DELL instead.

17" WUXGA @ 1920 x 1200
Core 2 Extreme X9000 @ 2.8GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz (which i' ll be replacing with 4GB of 800MHz OCZ Ram)
Dual 512MB 8800m GTX' s
2 x 160GB Raid 0 Stripe Hard Drives
An Ageia PhysX Card (included in the price with no option to remove it)

At £2680 it' s the most expensive laptop i' ve bought, although my dscount with DELL brings it closer to £2K. The Alienware would have cost me a little less, but meh, i' m not atient enough to wait until they' ve ironed out the problems.

The M1730 is fuc.king huge though. Check out these comparisons with the MacBook Air...

...it' s fuc.king rediculously bulky.

However, it' s not much bigger than the Toshiba i bought as a desktop replacement 18 months ago and i see them as more of a portable desktop than a laptop. I' m not likely to use it in Starbucks... if you know what i mean. That' s what my MacBook is for

The XPS will play UT3 and CoD4 maxed out at the native resolution, and i' m guessing Crysis on High with no AA

My girlfriend told me to consider an EEE PC but i told her to go fist herself. They might run Quake 3 Arena an fit under my skullcap but c' mon...
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 06:31
Nothing should be compared to the Air. The Air is a piece of shit.
Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 06:44

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Nothing should be compared to the Air. The Air is a piece of shit.

An impractical, plasticky, only-good-for-checking-your-emails piece of shit.

But still, ...it really drives homehow big the XPS is
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 07:22

That XPS is Godly. How much does it weigh?
Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 07:31
Godly is right. The processor will overclock to around 3.2GHz so once i have my 4GB RAM it' ll be as powerful as most high end desktops. I' m not sure how the 2 512MB 8800m GTX' s in SLI will hold up compared to say a single 768MB GTX, but i' m guessing it' ll hold it' s own.

I think i read somewhere that it weighs about 10lbs...
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 12:36
So what about a monitor(s)?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 13:23
I play at 1680x1050 with everything " very high" except shadows and motion blur (low/ off respectively), no AA. Looks great and runs ok. Like Nitro said, turn off AA, AA kills performance when it does very little.

Majik the 8800GTXm is almost identical to the original 8800GTS. Except with 512MB on a 256bit bus. In SLI they should perform above a 8800ULTRA on their own. It' s the CPU that will make the difference.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: My new PC! - Apr 08, 2008 14:11
Yeah i turned off AA and run it in 1680x1050 and it runs even better.

My monitor unfortunately isnt so good. its on my list of next upgrades. I think im going to redo my dads jobs internal network and upgrade it to Windows 2008 when its released, that might yield me cash for a new monitor and maybe a new Graphic Card when they are released.
Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 08:20
I can' t overstate just how badass this notebook is. The build quality, the screen, the speakers... they' re all superb, ...and it' s blindingly fast. I think that it works out as powerful as my desktop, and games actually look better because the screen is both smaller and higher res. 22" @ 1680 x 1050 versus 17" @ 1920 x 1200. It' s really bright too. I' ve never seen anything like it in a laptop before.

I can run everything but Crysis on max, and even Crysis runs (in DX9) on high, with motion blur off @ the native res of 1920 x 1200 (no AA).

I took it into work today and one of the guys who owns a Rock Xtreme (which to be fair is actually pretty cool) has decided that he needs to upgrade his two 8700M GT' s to 8800M GTX' s so he can play Crysis properly...

I' m going to tweak my config files to enable some of the very high settings in DX9 at the weekend. The game runs smoothly so i can always drop back to this if a see a decrease in performance, ...but i reckon i can get sunshafts and very high textures without a framerate drop.

I even bought a Razer Deathadder to go with it. I just need to find a new mouse mat and some headphones...
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 09:03

I' m going to tweak my config files to enable some of the very high settings in DX9 at the weekend. The game runs smoothly so i can always drop back to this if a see a decrease in performance, ...but i reckon i can get sunshafts and very high textures without a framerate drop.

Cool, Do these Crysis Tweak guids really make much difference in perfromance? If so which one(s) do you recommend?
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 22 Apr 08 1:06:38 >
Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 09:45

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Cool, Do these Crysis Tweak guids really make much difference in perfromance? If so which one(s) do you recommend?

They generally won' t increase your performance unless you' re using them to achieve the same results through tweaking the config file as opposed to just setting the game to a higher setting.

Resolution, AA and shaders have the biggest hits on performance, and the game runs better on XP than Vista, and better in DX9 than DX10. In DX9 you' ll have noticed that the very high settings are greyed out, so what most people have been doing is adjusting the config file to let them run in DX9 but get DX10-like very high features.

If you' re using and NVIDIA card then it' s best to switch the antialiasing mode to off in the NVIDIA control panel as well as off in the Crysis options menu. If you' re running in SLI then it needs to be set to Force Alternate Rendering 2 (again in the NVIDIA control panel). Other than that it' s pretty much trial and error with the config file (make sure you back up the one you' re replacing).

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614 - is probably the best place to get started. There are other tweak guides, but this is where you need to start. Heh, you can even tweak the time of day settings...

Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 09:55

ORIGINAL: Nitro

I even bought a Razer Deathadder to go with it.

Nice. I actually just got the Razor Copperhead. Got it brand new of woot.com for $25 when they normally go for $70.
Agent Ghost

RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 10:04

I' ve been using mine for a while now, I love it.
Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 10:26

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Nice. I actually just got the Razor Copperhead. Got it brand new of woot.com for $25 when they normally go for $70.

I looked at the Copperhead but decided that the Deathadder was just more comfortable. I use a G9 with my desktop but i' m considering picking up another Deathadder to replace it because they' re just godly. All Razers products are badass, ...i' m even looking at their mouse mats, ...one of them comes with it' s own fuc.king protective sleeve...

Agent Ghost

RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 10:55

...i' m even looking at their mouse mats, ...one of them comes with it' s own fuc.king protective sleeve...

I have their double sided mouse pad eXactMat Xcontrol and eXactmat Xspeed on the other side. I prefer the control side. I can' t say I' m more accurate with it but it feels better.

Nitro

RE: My new PC! - Apr 22, 2008 16:34
Actually VF, scrap that link i gave you. Just go here: http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

You know it' s going to be something special when the guy updates his original post with testimonials
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message