Condemned 2 Review

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
  • Reward points : 0
Condemned 2 Review - Mar 12, 2008 01:38
IGN
I' m in the midst of reading it. So yeah. Most likely I' m gonna buy it regardless. Unless its somehow reviewed as utter trash...

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 12, 2008 01:54
Can' t wait for this and Alone in the Dark. Until Silent Hill comes out, these 2 will do more than satisfy my survival horror gaming hunger.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 12, 2008 02:02
Bitchin' !

For those who are too lazy to hit the link, and like numbers.

8.0 Presentation
The story isn' t too satisfying, but the atmosphere is excellent.
8.0 Graphics
The artistic direction and clever use of filters keep this game appealing from start to finish.
9.0 Sound
Turn up the volume and play the game alone for maximum effect.
8.0 Gameplay
The improvements are exactly what was expected out of a sequel. The core concept feels a bit diluted by the end.
6.5 Lasting Appeal
Most of the new features outside of the main game are throw aways.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 12, 2008 02:09
Watched the video review. Was hoping the Multiplayer would be a bit better, but owell this is more of a single player deal anyways.

Iad umboros
  • Total Posts : 750
  • Reward points : 9745
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 12, 2008 07:57
Edge gave ita 5, saying at it' s best it nearly matches the original for scares, but it' s just an overload of blood of guts with little merit and poor Ethan has become an unlikeable psychopathic tramp. I loved the first one though so I' ll definately check it out for myself.
***flyingsaucersdisguisedasmushrooms***
***mushroomsinvadingfromouterspace***

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 12, 2008 10:16
I liked the first, so no reviewer is gonna dissuade me from playing this one.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 13, 2008 03:50
I ordered the game from Circuit City today. Got the first Condemned with it for free. I' ve beaten the first one and thought it was an amazing game but never bought it (rental). I figured it was a good deal. Should take around a week to get her which gives me more time with Lost Odyssey.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Mar 13, 2008 04:09
I thought the original was cumbersome in terms of controls, story and gameplay. But it was original and the atmosphere was brilliantly dark.

The sequel should have a Doom style beserk mode, where everything you swing at turns to gibs. :P

choupolo
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 00:41
Bought it yesterday.

Its still an atmospheric game, but unfortunately I think it resorts to the same old tricks and cheap scares. Y' know, look in a mirror, see a phantom shadow behind you, turn around and its gone. Played a few hours so far, most of it has been trudging around linear levels with no clue as to really why, doing menial bonus collecting/finding tasks on the way.

The frame rate can be dodgy at times. Which I can' t forgive in this day and age.

The CSI bits are scarce and uninteresting. Not as good as the first game' s CSI bits. Before you' d try to find hidden clues using UV etc. Here they' re mostly blatent and you just look at them - and then it says something like " Well done!! Perfect!!!"

The controls are still cumbersome. The weapons are the same, and funny how a toilet seat can do more damage than a gun!

They' ve added a combo and special move system, which has ended up uninvolving, just having to press the trigger buttons to do, that you were hammering anyway, and giving you about 10 secs to press it. All the while you' re just moving forwards and backwards and pressing trigger, randomly getting hit by an enemy who' s facing away from you after just taking a pipe to the temple. Then motion sickness ensues. [:' (]

The only good things I can say are that the sounds are atmospheric, and there are a few upgrades you can unlock like special moves and equipment, so maybe the fighting gets more entertaining later in the game. I doubt it will.

It' s not as good as the first game, seems diluted down as if they ran out of ideas. The first one was dark and claustrophobic. Condemned 2 just seems dark for the sake of it. I was tempted to compare this series to FEAR, but its more like Manhunt. However imo - Manhunt>Condemned>Condemned 2. Certainly not a patch on the Silent Hill games.

Overall 7/10 - Worth renting if you liked the first one, but dont expect anything new.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 00:44
Thanks choupolo. Saved me wasting £40.

choupolo
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 00:51
Np, I wish I could get my £40 back! And the last few hours of my life.. I' ll probably see it through to the end though in case there are any memorable sequences.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 6 Apr 08 16:52:42 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 01:05

Np, I wish I could get my £40 back! And the last few hours of my life.. I' ll probably see it through to the end though in case there are any memorable sequences.

damn i just bought it, i havent played much yet! well ill hurry through if its bad i can get maximum currency for it back at EB games

choupolo
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 05:27
There are a few nice moments in the game, and its not terrible. Worth playing, just not as good as the first.

The parts in the SCU, and later in the game are better than the first few levels, as the story progresses it starts to make more sense. The doll factory was the best level so far.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 06:17
I have the exact opposite opinion. The first half of the game was pretty good and it got worse as it went on. The Doll Factory level I thought was pretty poor. Especially when you find out you can just kick all the dolls to defeat them.

I found the crime scene investigations much more involved that the first game. In this one you actually have to look around and decipher clues rather than just point and click like the first. I also enjoyed the more in depth fighting system.

Sadly the game isn' t any where near as scary as the first game and in the latter levels the whole thing just falls apart.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 07, 2008 16:25
The frame rate gives me a headache!

choupolo
RE: Condemned 2 Review - Apr 08, 2008 02:19

I have the exact opposite opinion. The first half of the game was pretty good and it got worse as it went on. The Doll Factory level I thought was pretty poor. Especially when you find out you can just kick all the dolls to defeat them.

I found the crime scene investigations much more involved that the first game. In this one you actually have to look around and decipher clues rather than just point and click like the first. I also enjoyed the more in depth fighting system.

Sadly the game isn' t any where near as scary as the first game and in the latter levels the whole thing just falls apart.

Interesting Just goes to show, its all subjective!

The little dolls were pretty pathetic. I just liked the way they look when you pick them up. I thought the boss doll looked interesting. And the bit running around in the gas mask with a golf club in hand I thought was cool, although you cant see much!

But you' re right, its not a scary game.