Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol"

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 11, 2008 21:02
I dont know what to think of the premise yet!

its original though

Obsidian has taken the wraps off secret agent role-playing game Alpha Protocol, currently in development for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Details emerged in the latest issue of Game Informer, as reported by NeoGaf forum users.

Apparently Alpha Protocol is inspired by the likes of James Bond, Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne. It puts you in the shoes of a rookie and lets you climb through the ranks to become a super-spy, pouring points into 10 skills with 10 ranks each.

You play as a chap called Michael Thornton, who probably likes chocolate and whose world is turned upside down after a mission goes awry.

Combat and gameplay will be of a real-time action bent. Expect a third-person perspective with similarities to Mass Effect and controls like BioShock, allowing you to whip out all sorts of gadgets when the going gets tough. Upgrading your powers will apparently have quite a dramatic effect too - they could alter how you perceive situations, for example.

Dialogue will also be deep and consequential like in Mass Effect, and you' ll be able to choose paths according to whether you' re feeling cool and suave or brash and impatient.

Your missions will take you all over the world. You' ll be able to have multiple assignments at once and travel freely between them.

Romance will be an important part of the game as you meet and charm hordes of adoring women along the way.

Alpha Protocol is down for a release next spring.

SEGA Europe has offered no comment so, for now, these details are unconfirmed.

Obsidian has previously worked on sequels to BioWare games like Knights of the Old Republic II and Neverwinter Nights II. It' s also helping SEGA with an Aliens RPG, although details on that are still scarce.

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 11, 2008 22:32
I saw this too. If they use ME as a base, and re-work it for a different situation then it could be good.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 11, 2008 23:44
Well, I really like spy games... in theory. The only ones to ever impress me were MGS and Splinter Cell though, so I' ll reserve judgment, as per usual until I see some gameplay footage.

Dammit, where' s Tiz when you need him? I need to have an MGS vs. Splinter Cell argument, and I can' t do it by my lonesome!

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 11, 2008 23:50
Well Eddie, ill argue on behalf of Splinter Cell

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 11, 2008 23:53
Having only playe the one MGS game which was rubbish, I' ll quite happily side with Splinter cell too.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 12, 2008 02:07
Yes... but it' s not Tiz y' see...

Edit: Come to think of it. He hasn' t been around in ages. Must be extra busy.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 11 Mar 08 18:07:34 >

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Obsidians secret Agent rpg " Alpha Protocol" - Mar 12, 2008 02:09
I don' t know about this. Too much about borrowing this feature from this game, and another gameplay mechanic from another game that bothers me. Now I know that a lot of games do this, but besides story it seems as though there is nothing here that is original.

Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake