SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 00:45
LINK

Looks like Super Smash Bros Brawl is having some problems working on a few Wii out there. We' ve only received a handful of complaints about this here at Kotaku, but it' s a big enough problem that Nintendo already has a site set up to deal with the problem in North America.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl utilizes a double-layer disc which has a large memory capacity. A very small percentage of Wii consoles may have trouble consistently reading data off this large capacity disc if there is some contamination on the lens of the disc drive. Nintendo has specialized cleaning equipment that can resolve this problem. (Please do NOT attempt to clean the lens yourself, as you may damage the system.)

Hit the jump for the mini FAQ on the issue:

" How can I get this fixed and how long will it take?"
If you are experiencing disc read errors, please utilize the form below to request a repair order. Nintendo is upgrading inbound and outbound shipping to expedite the total repair process. Specific repair times will be provided as you fill out the repair form below. There is no cost for the repair or shipping. Please note: returning the game to the retail store will not solve the problem. So we encourage users who are experiencing issues with playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl to utilize this repair order process.

" What if I have Virtual Console games or other stored data on my Wii console?"
Due to the nature of this particular issue, you should not lose any of your stored data. In some rare cases you may have to re-download your Virtual Console games from the Wii Shop Channel, but there is no cost to doing so.

I' m glad I decided to wait on this one, because if I got this game and it wouldn' t work, I' d kill myself lol. I think the game came out in the states today, has anyone picked it up yet? If so, has anyone had these problems?

Gamer
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points : 18435
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 04:02
I picked it up at the midnight launch last nite. Its an amazing game but my wii which i got on launch day already has a drive problem so it chugs alot while trying to load in that game, but hey at least it plays. I' m still tempted to send it in to get cleaned up since i don' t have the right screwdriver to open mine.

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 06:42
I got mine and it works fine. I had to do some sort of update but Its good to go after the update.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 07:34
This is the first Nintendo game EVER to use more than 4 GB of data. Wow. Nintendo is always pushing the technological limits of humanity further than we even dare to conceive! I just can' t wrap my mind around that massive amount of data!

Anyway mastachefbkw, waiting won' t help your Wii to play dual layer discs. Be sure that there will be more dual layer games in the future and they would have the same problems if you don' t get this fixed... that is if you are even affected.

The game is indeed out in the states. Not sure why it was released on a Sunday. Maybe Nintendo has no respect for Mr. God Christ, and that' s fine. A friend of mine called me and told me it had just came out after he picked his copy up at 12:01am. I didn' t care. I will pass on this game as the GC version wasn' t that interesting to me.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9 Mar 08 23:35:53 >

mikayd2
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 09:12

Not sure why it was released on a Sunday.

'
I was thinking the same thing.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 10:19
They' re trying to say it' s going to replace Mr. God Christ. I say we riot, and throw children.

killemoff
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Reward points : 0
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 15:53

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

They' re trying to say it' s going to replace Mr. God Christ. I say we riot, and throw children.

Children would be to much of a fuss, how about kittens?

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 20:44
This should all be sorted out by the time it reaches British territories.
< Message edited by Marink -- 10 Mar 08 12:45:13 >

mikayd2
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 22:03

True let' s go with the cats.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 10, 2008 23:33

No, no. There are plenty of irresponsible parents who would let us throw their children. PETA would chew us all new ones if we threw cats.

This should all be sorted out by the time it reaches British territories.

Don' t hold your breath. It' s not a disk issue, that' s for sure. I' m betting money it' s a hardware problem.

There were rumours way back before launch that certain Wii consoles would have issues reading dual-layer disks, which if I remember correctly played a part in Nintendo' s decision to drop DVD playback from the console so close to the launch.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 11, 2008 07:16

Anyway mastachefbkw, waiting won' t help your Wii to play dual layer discs.
Yeah, I know, I' m just waiting until I' ll actually have time to play the game. I' ve had SMG, Super Paper Mario, and TP. I' ve finished SMG, I beat TP on the cube, and I' ve barely started on Paper Mario.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 11, 2008 12:57
I have a question about Wii. Does it support lan with other Wii' s, I guess it would be through wifi? If so, does SSBB support this feature. My younger brother and I might each get a Wii and I was wondering if we could play together in seperate rooms.

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 11, 2008 13:25

I have a question about Wii. Does it support lan with other Wii' s, I guess it would be through wifi? If so, does SSBB support this feature. My younger brother and I might each get a Wii and I was wondering if we could play together in seperate rooms.

Afraid you' ll hurt your little brother in real life for defeating your Solid Snake with Pikachu???

< Message edited by chimura -- 11 Mar 08 5:25:22 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 12, 2008 04:21

Afraid you' ll hurt your little brother in real life for defeating your Solid Snake with Pikachu???

He wouldn' t use Pikachu. I think he' d be more interested in Mario or Sonic.

The reason I' m asking is I' m curious if the Wii can do this, and I prefer to use my own monitor at my desk, which doesn' t really have space for another chair.

mikayd2
RE: SSBB doesn' t work on some Wii consoles - Mar 12, 2008 06:30

The reason I' m asking is I' m curious if the Wii can do this, and I prefer to use my own monitor at my desk, which doesn' t really have space for another chair.

Yeah you can do just that agent. Of course you will need to have two copies of SSB.