• Reward points : 12425
Church - Feb 25, 2008 08:58
Ain' t it a bitch?

Every Sunday. That' s ridiculous!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 09:15
Yeah, it was for the first 16 years of my life (I was Roman Catholic). It' s not half bad if ya don' t mind going though.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 09:26

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Yeah, it was for the first 16 years of my life (I was Roman Catholic). It' s not half bad if ya don' t mind going though.

52 weeks in a year...

What, 2 hours taken up every Sunday for church and connected whatever...

For 16 years...

1664 hours / 24 = 69.3 days

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 09:34

Was? You were gone to church TODAY!

every Sunday... LMAO!

You should have seen me laugh. I get online to play some COD4. When I got on you had just left. I asked Torr where you went and he told me you went to church. That gave me cramps, I was laughing so hard.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 09:52
My family' s fascist Catholic. When I turn 18, I' ll stop going, and either get kicked out or move out. One or the other. Believe me, if I had a way to get out, I would.

The worst part is having to go at 5PM Sunday. I' m already on a downer as it is, it certainly doesn' t help my mood.

1664 hours / 24 = 69.3 days

About half that actually.

Don' t get me wrong, it' s still a royal pain in the ass if you have major problems with the Catholic Church. We' ve got Catholic members here, so I won' t start bashing ad-nauseum, but I certainly don' t enjoy my time spent.

Agent Ghost
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:09
I feel your pain. I' ve been to church before. I know what it' s like. A two hour brain washing session via the most boring/confusing lectures you' ll ever have the misfortune of listening to. I' m not even sure if they were french or english.

I went to a Catholic school in elementry. Missing class to go to church a few times a year was an even trade off in terms of boredom. Stay put and listen to some old fuck talk about things that don' t matter.

I don' t even know why I was in a catholic school, My mom doesn' t go to church and my Father wasn' t even catholic.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:17
I don' t mind. I' ve been fortunate to have some pretty cool priests at the churches I' ve attended. Going for one hour out of my week doesn' t bother me any. I can see how it bores people though.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:19

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

About half that actually.

Isn' t the service itself like an hour long? I dunno, ...i' ve never been.

Either way it' s fuc.king demented.

Plus... Christians believe that Star Wars is Evil So if i had my way they' d all be hanged.

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:28
I am a Catholic. I believe God exists.

I hate going to church. I am not gonna lie. I find it boring. I' ve always considered myself a bad Catholic when it comes to the established rules and rituals.

Maybe its just me, but I see God in the little things. Whenever I was freezing in -1 weather, walking home from college and a friend of mine passed by and offered a ride, I know that' s God looking out for me. I don' t need to go to Church to be reminded of that.

Though every now and then is not that bad.

Majik
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:29

ORIGINAL: Nitro

So if i had my way they' d all be hanged.

That' s not very nice

You can' t just hang people for being Christians!

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:30

ORIGINAL: Majik

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

They' d have to be tortured before they were hanged...

Majik
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:33

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

You' re despicable

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:37

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

You' re despicable

Yup. And abhorrent, contemptible, despisable, detestable, disgusting, filthy, foul, loathsome, lousy, low, mean, nasty, nefarious, obnoxious, odious, repugnant, rotten, shabby, vile and wretched.

Most of all i' m proud to have descended from monkeys.

Majik
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:48

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

You' re despicable

Yup. And abhorrent, contemptible, despisable, detestable, disgusting, filthy, foul, loathsome, lousy, low, mean, nasty, nefarious, obnoxious, odious, repugnant, rotten, shabby, vile and wretched.

Just because you don' t have faith, it doesn' t mean you can brush aside other peoples beliefs. Let people make their own choices!

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:49

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

You' re despicable

Just because you don' t have faith, it doesn' t mean you can brush aside other peoples beliefs. Let people make their own choices!

I' ll give them a fuc.king choice. Death by hanging or fuc.ked in the ass by monkeys???

Majik
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 10:51

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

You' re despicable

I' ll give them a fuc.king choice. Death by hanging or fuc.ked in the ass by monkeys???

Asshole!

Not that they actually care what you think. They believe that you' re going to burn in Hell for all eternity

Agent Ghost
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 12:12
Given the choice between Hell and Heaven I' d pick Hell. It suits me better. Look at the people in Church, I wouldn' t want to spend eternity with them.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 13:02

That' s not very nice

You' re right...

You' re despicable

Asshole!

Not that they actually care what you think. They believe that you' re going to burn in Hell for all eternity

If you get enough cascading quotes firefox will fail to render them properly. Firefox is for nubs.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 16:36

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Given the choice between Hell and Heaven I' d pick Hell. It suits me better. Look at the people in Church, I wouldn' t want to spend eternity with them.

Pretty much. I expect Heaven would be sparsely populated anyway. I don' t know many Christians who haven' t sinned...

...or can you just ask for forgiveness on your deathbed?

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 16:41
Double post
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 25 Feb 08 8:43:11 >

Vx Chemical
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 16:42

Pretty much. I expect Heaven would be sparsely populated anyway. I don' t know many Christians who haven' t sinned...

No no, you got it all wrong, Jesus already died for our sins, so we can do just about anything we want.

Atleast thats the protestant way of things.

Iv been to church a few times. Weddings, babetisms, funerals its boring no matter which i go to, if i could select a priest id have Rowan Atkinson preaching about the holy goat, and id like to praise Brian from Monty Pythons movie rather than Jesus.

Jesus, Mohammad, Moses they are all ***ed up. spoon fed their followers shrooms to make them see stuf.

Religion is the adults pacifier

< Message edited by vx chemical -- 25 Feb 08 8:43:37 >

Evilkiller
  • Total Posts : 660
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 16:47

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

So you want to miss out on the 72 virgins just waiting for you in heaven? Awwww, sad.

Anyway, I' ve never been to church...and I actually dont plan to go to a church, EVER. My children are not going to be baptized, no matter what my eventual girlfriend says and I would prefer not to marry in a Church, too. I simply don' t see the point in visiting a Church every week to listen to somebody for an hour. If it was at least something interesting like a political debate or a lecture about physics...

Vx Chemical
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 16:50

I actually dont plan to go to a church, EVER

The church iv been to, has cool murials of demons with pitchforks and stuff like that, it was built around year 600. i dont mind keeping all churches restorated and visiting them for historical value. If you havent seen Peters Church in Rome, its a most go.

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
RE: Church - Feb 25, 2008 17:06
Go to church twice a month (primarily for the children); that' s CofE for you, they don' t give a monkeys about being strict or anything.

Most fanatical or strict Christians are in my opinion a bunch of hypocritical nutters, who devolve their brain to someone else - they should learn to think for themselves and not say all the time ' what would god want me to do' .

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 03:01
Its worse for Muslims, I try to go to the mosque every Friday, and try to pray 5 times a day either at home or at the mosque.

Doesn' t take long however, the sermons are pretty interesting philosophising and the prayers are more meditation so they' re like a relaxing 5min break from reality.

As long as its a personal choice, and not a chore its not too bad. And it keeps me focused on what I believe life is all about.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 25 Feb 08 19:03:06 >

Agent Ghost
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 03:49

...break from reality.

I know what you meant, but this is funny anyways.

i dont mind keeping all churches restorated and visiting them for historical value.

Of course, even the artistic value alone is worth keeping the older ones around.

So you want to miss out on the 72 virgins just waiting for you in heaven? Awwww, sad.

I don' t need to die to find virgins. Besides experienced women are better.

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 03:58
Send the virgins to me Agent. I' ll train them for you. Might even make a regiment for them to go thru before passing certification

Vx Chemical
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 04:21
Ill take one of each, a virgin and an expirienced woman, its like strawbery and vanilla.

Evilkiller
  • Total Posts : 660
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 05:04
Unfortunately those virgins stay virgins...forever. Their hymen regenerates. (Seriously, when I am thinking about this part, it seems like Islam is Christianity just adjusted to focus on the male target audience)

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 05:51
When I was a kid, I loved going to church. Mass was held in the grade school lunchroom of all places. I didn' t care, though, as there was live music performed by my aunt & uncle and free donuts for everyone! We also has " God School" after mass (I think it was called Caddy Cism or something like that) and my mom and grandmother were teachers. We were a big family of Catholic God lovers. Go God Go! Then we' d get home and my sister and I would watch professional wrestling on TV. It had Mean Gene who interviewed the wrestlers and was always acting fearful of them, Jesse Ventura, the Adorable Adrian Adonis, Hulk Hogan was just starting out... it was awesome.

Now I am the furthest thing from religious.

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 06:17
Virgins are overrated.

More of a pain in the fuc.king ass than anything.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 06:27
Well damn. I took off last night & I figured this thing would still be as I left it. Maybe another post from NitroMajik or Ghost... Ah well. On to the conversation.

Isn' t the service itself like an hour long? I dunno, ...i' ve never been.

Either way it' s fuc.king demented.

Depends on the preist. The one I' ve had for the majority of my life is at least relatively sensable, he never pushes an hour. Every so often, our pastor has a board meeting (Happens to be on the board of directors at Delta Dental), and we get some crotchety old codger who doesn' t shut up for an hour and a half. My personal all-time favorites though are the guest preists who take the entire time they should be preaching, and plug their christian magazine, or webcast, or whatever. Talk about funny.

Plus... Christians believe that Star Wars is Evil So if i had my way they' d all be hanged.

No, the broken Christians believe that Star Wars is evil.

The real Christians recognize true evil when they see it, and believe that episodes I through III were delivered overnight-expedited from satan' s workshop.

Go on, disagree. I and II are debatable, but if you liked III I' ll have to disown you.

" Y' know what? For a million? I' ll get f.ucked in the ass by a gorilla! And I' ll smile about it too. I' ll only get really pissed off when I find out Bobo over there' s making two!."

Heaven isn' t for perfect people. Nobody' s perfect, and anybody who says otherwise is mentally ill, or a bigot.

There' s a catch 22 there though. If you' re an atheist, you couldn' t care less about what' s going to happen when you die. You figure you' re worm food.

If on your deathbed, you come to the conclusion that you should ask for forgiveness, you' re not the atheist you say you are, and are actually afraid of some higher power by covering your bases.

Anyway, I' ll tell you this much. There' s a few fundamental beliefs held by all Christians. Jesus is our Lord and savior. Love others as you love yourself. Try to live your life as best as possible.

Damn near everything else is open for interpretation. People will find a way to spin the bible around whatever it is they believe, which is why I find it hard to answer to human authority when it comes to my faith (the primary reason I left the Catholic Church). I decide what I believe, not some crotchety old folks half the world away, slowly losing touch with reality.

When they came out against Harry Potter and rock music, that was just it!

Jesus, Mohammad, Moses they are all ***ed up.

How so? I can certainly see how you can agree that their followers have flaws, but the men themselves weren' t all that bad. At least Jesus and Moses. I only have sectional understanding of specific bits of Islam, I don' t honestly know much about Muhammad.

When asked about Christianity, Ghandi said " I don' t reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It' s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ." and that really is true. There are plenty of self proclaimed Christians who are total jerks, and that' s true of every religion; every society for that matter. Sadly, the majority of Christians I meet are either too afraid of repercussion to come out and speak their mind, especially in a situation like this, where I' m surrounded by primarily atheist and agnostic people, or they' re the fire and brimstone type that tell you that you' re a terrible person, and that if you don' t repent now, and buy their three-disk-set, you' ll burn in the fires of hell.

Neither is the right way to go about living your life, as far as I' m concerned. You can' t push faith on people. That' s why it' s called faith. The best thing I can do is to be the good I want to see in others. Leading by example is far more important to me than preaching about various people' s evils.

Take Ghost for example. Fundamental Christians would tell you that he' s a drunk, a godless heathen, and is the lowest of the low.

What they won' t tell you is that he has an amazing ability to debate, and is passionate in what he believes in, despite the fact that what he believes in is... well... nothing. I see a lot of good in him, despite disagreeing with him on damn near everything as far as our life choices go.

I don' t need to die to find virgins.

You would if you lived around here. Dunno what high-class neighborhood you live in.

(I think it was called Caddy Cism or something like that)

Ugh... Catechism... don' t even get me started on Catechism. I could seriously go on for days. That was 10 times worse than any number of days I had to spend in church.

Now I am the furthest thing from religious.

You have any sort of faith, sans-religion, or are you pretty generally apathetic?

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 06:54
I have faith that I won' t realize that I' m dead while I am busy being dead. I might realize I' m about to die or am in the process of dying, but after that... sleepy time (without the sleep). I' ve been able to reason out religion completely, but I won' t push that here.

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 07:04
RC here myself (Roman Catholic). Like others, I was dragged to church when I was younger by my parents every Sunday for an hour. With the combination of the incredibly nice hard wood pews to sit on for this hour, along with the constant sitting and standing up, culminating in our Priests ability to bore the hell outta me, I often had suicidal thoughts during Mass.

Anyway, I stopped going to church after I grew up and started realizing that a lot of what was being read from the Bible was rubbish, and full of contradictions. From God telling people to murder their own family members, to wondering as a child what ever happened to the giants who lived in the land of NOD (not talking Command and Conquer) a lot of it just didn' t make much sense. But the biggest one of all is Hell. I believe Hell was created by the Church to make sure that the common fold continued to pay the Tithe without question, as you would most certainly go to Hell if you didn' t pay the church taxes. I mean come on now, my RC teachings taught me that Jebus died for all man' s sins. During Jebus' final days, nowhere does it say that he was dying on the cross for all man' s sins except for the ones who sin. Christ, he even forgave 2 criminals who were next to him and they got into Heaven. Now this in itself is a contradiction to the story of Moses and the 10 Commandments. Supposedly these Commandments were from God theirself, telling us that if we did not follow these Commandments we would go to hell. But then the all forgiving God sends down his one and only child who' s only purpose is to die so that the gates of Heaven will be open to us so that we will all have eternal salvation.

And so here we are today. We will go to Hell if we don' t follow the 10 Commandments. But if you happen to break one of these Commandments, you need nothing more than to go see your Priest and through him God will forgive you of your sins so that you may enter Heaven. Even on your death bed you can receive Last Rights to have all of your sins washed away for your entry into Heaven. But even after all of this, the Church throws in Mortal Sins like suicide which supposedly cannot be forgiven even by the All Forgiving God.

So what exactly did Jebus die for again?
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 09:36
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Agent Ghost
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 11:15

You would if you lived around here. Dunno what high-class neighborhood you live in.

Canada

...despite the fact that what he believes in is... well... nothing.

I don' t believe in nothing. I have faith in Science and to a lesser extent Humanity. Both of which are abused by religion.

If I wanted to rely on one method for discovering truth I' ll look towards the one without bias. Why should I trust criminal organizations like Christianity, Islam, Buddhism etc.?

< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 26 Feb 08 3:34:46 >

choupolo
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 20:05
I agree the organisations themselves are just as bad as our governments in terms of political agendas. But the religions themselves, y' know the actual fundamental philosophies are just as useful as science, and go hand in hand towards the same goal imo.

I dont believe they contradict each other at all. And moreso, they compliment each others deficiencies. ie Sure religion doesn' t explain to us why we can live and breathe on this blue ball of ours, but science will never be able to reach a conclusion about all the stuff we can' t see or sense, like whats outside the furthest point in our universe, or whats smaller than the smallest particle.

In fact if you look at where science is leading us in quantum physics, the universal theory of everything - thats pretty much what religion is trying to do too. But when will science ever get there... We live with science in a box we cant escape until perhaps we die.

The basic reasoning behind my beliefs is that for example say you want to know what things are made of, you say this thing is made of wood, which is made of carbon atoms, which are made of nuclei, protons and electrons, which are made of quarks and jaguars and all that quantam stuff (that I know very little about!), and of course they must be made of something too and them and them. Eventually all those relative particles must be bound by something absolute or infinite. But you can never prove that - therefore its a belief in something infinite.

Then again if logic itself is a quality that only exists in our reality then that whole argument fails, and religion is indeed bollocks.

Nitro
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 20:52
Could i trade 72 virgins in for 10 good whores and a chipmunk?

choupolo
RE: Church - Feb 26, 2008 21:24
What are you going to do to the chipmunk?? Poor little thing.