[RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
[RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 00:00
Smarthouse.com.au

It' s inevitable that a 360 Blu-Ray peripheral drive is in the pipeline, but these folks believe they know when. Some of the more outstanding quotes from the article.

Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft has already configured a standalone Blu-ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

The Company has also been working on a built in Blu-ray player however insiders are claiming that Microsoft see the HD format battle moving online with consumers offered 1080p movie and content files as a download as opposed to having to buy a HD DVD or Blu-ray disc.

Michael Ephraim the Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment said: " We would welcome Microsoft to the Blu-ray stable. In fact it is quite logical for them as the PS3 has been very succesful in driving consumers to Blu-ray. In fact we believe that it has done more to win the format war than traditional Blu-ray player" .

When asked whether Sony would grant Microsoft a Blu-ray licence he said: " That is up to Sony Corporate but I see no reason why they would not do it" .

Smugness radiates from that quote, even in print.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 24 Feb 08 16:01:05 >

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 02:10
Uh...

But... it' s Smarthouse...

They got " insider" information about an internal HD-DVD drive for 360 and about Apples gaming console that was supposed to launch early last year.

It' s not so much a rumour as it is complete rubbish.

That' s not to say that Microsoft won' t launch an external Blu-Ray drive, ...but i do kinda doubt the likelyhood, especially given the lackluster sales of the HD-DVD drive.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 03:06
didnt ms say they would release a bluray addon if hd-dvd failed?
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 03:23
Let' s pretend we work for MS and give smarthouse some " insder" information.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 03:46

ORIGINAL: Nitro
That' s not to say that Microsoft won' t launch an external Blu-Ray drive, ...but i do kinda doubt the likelyhood, especially given the lackluster sales of the HD-DVD drive.

And Microsoft also seems like a bit of a stubborn company. I think that they would rather try out something else to win over Bluray than automatically follow something from the competition.

On the other hand, it' s maybe easier this time to just accept facts, make such an add-on and at the same time work on their downloadable content on the side.
< Message edited by ys -- 24 Feb 08 19:47:27 >

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 05:39

But... it' s Smarthouse...

They got " insider" information about an internal HD-DVD drive for 360 and about Apples gaming console that was supposed to launch early last year.

It' s not so much a rumour as it is complete rubbish.

Sorry, " complete rubbish" didn' t fit well in the thread title.

Microsoft didn' t specifically say that they' d release an external drive, but they did say that since their drive was external, they would be able to meet the needs of the consumer whichever way the format war turned.

I expect a Blu-Ray external drive, but not in three months. So far as I know, Microsoft doesn' t even have liscencing to make Blu-Ray products. I' d think the beurocracy from that alone would take a month or two, combined with production time, and some time to get their PR in order, and explain to all the folks who bought HD-DVD why it is they jumped ship.

Nitro
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 06:00
The HD-DVD drive didn' t sell. It has been a massive failure with only like 2.5% of the install base actully buying it. Why would they contemplate releasing a Blu-Ray drive now when they' ve just got their download service in order?

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points : 0
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 07:06
it made no sense for early 360 adopters to get the HDDVD add-on - no HDMI port diminished its usefulness

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 08:55

The HD-DVD drive didn' t sell. It has been a massive failure with only like 2.5% of the install base actully buying it. Why would they contemplate releasing a Blu-Ray drive now when they' ve just got their download service in order?

To jump on the profit bandwagon. With Blu-Ray player sales up over 600% they' re going to want to stay competitive in the HD market, and while it' s true that they' ve gotten their download service up and running, they' re going to want a physical media drive to supplement their digital distribution program, and directly compete with the Playstation 3.

As for the HD-DVD player' s lackluster sales, It' s an entirely different situation here than it was 2 months ago. Consumers now have one format, and aren' t scared of spending $200 on technology that may become obsolete at the drop of a hat.

So far as I can see, people bought a Playstation 3 and got a free Blu-Ray movie player as a bonus. People bought an Xbox 360, and if they were so inclined, could go the extra mile for HD-DVD playback, if they were wealthy/foolish enough to early adopt. The situation' s changed pretty significantly since HD-DVD threw in the towel, and while I can' t say when, I still stand by my theory that they' ll turn out a Blu-Ray peripheral.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 25 Feb 08 0:57:17 >

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 09:41

When asked whether Sony would grant Microsoft a Blu-ray licence he said: " That is up to Sony Corporate but I see no reason why they would not do it" .
Doesnt MS have partial ownership, along with a bunch of other companies, to BR?

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 12:16
I can see MS bringing out a BD drive to make the PS3 less appealing. I hope they don' t. I want to see the PS3 pick up more momentum.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 13:02
I think the only way that could work is if M$ offered it as a bundle with the 360 for the same price as a PS3.

Nitro
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 16:39

ORIGINAL: Zoy

I think the only way that could work is if M$ offered it as a bundle with the 360 for the same price as a PS3.

The only way it would work is if the drive was internal.

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 25, 2008 16:56
maybe that' s why 360s are sparse in the shops - they' ve stopped production of normal ones, and started producing elites with a bluray inside

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 26, 2008 06:39
I am not understanding at all why MS would have even had an external HD-DVD drive in the first place, and I am more confused as to why they would now want an external blu-ray player.

Fact of the matter is MS should be working harder to add even more HD movie content on live, and stop worrying about an external drive. Full HD movie downloads is exactly what MS should be working on. Now I understand that if you do this there is the obvious storage issue, but to me it makes more sense for the MS to do this with the 360.

Furthermore, you can pick up a very nice up conversion DVD player which will give you pretty much the same picture quality as what you will get with today' s blu-ray technology which is constantly evolving. My older brother went out and bough a blu-ray player when they first launched, and because his is an older model, new releases will not play on the player because he has been told he needs a patch to update the blu-ray player.

All I am saying is that there is no need for the consumer to rush out and get caught up in the whole HD-DVD format wars at this time. We need to remember that this is still fairly new technology, so it may take a couple of more years or so for blu-ray to really be with the money.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 26, 2008 06:55

maybe that' s why 360s are sparse in the shops - they' ve stopped production of normal ones, and started producing elites with a bluray inside

I' ll reiterate what I said a few days or so. It' s possible that they' re creating a new SKU, but it' s not possible that they' re in production, and news hasn' t leaked yet.

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 26, 2008 07:27

Furthermore, you can pick up a very nice up conversion DVD player which will give you pretty much the same picture quality as what you will get with today' s blu-ray technology which is constantly evolving.

I really disagree on that one. There is a huge difference between the two.

Torr
  • Total Posts : 554
  • Reward points : 8100
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 26, 2008 14:15
Ok the obvious reason to come out with one is to make PS3 less of a blu ray player with games. As we have seen MS has not been making any really huge strides in countering Sony, what MS has been doing all along is stopping Sony from completely taking control of the market. If Sony is too busy trying to stay afloat then they won' t be fishing around in MS' s stuff(like software and pc stuff in general). I personally think it would be funny if MS had made some secret agreement with Nintendo to bring Sony down, by covering the polar opposites of the gaming community.

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 26, 2008 14:38

ORIGINAL: Ornodeal

it made no sense for early 360 adopters to get the HDDVD add-on - no HDMI port diminished its usefulness

Trust me, HD through component looks just FINE! Honestly, it' s f.ucking HARD to tell the difference! And I' ve got both, and a 133" screen!

As far as MS getting Blu-ray, I don' t see it happening honestly. I mean, they' re trumpeting the " download HD" idea, and I don' t see them backing a format that would only serve to make them a few bucks, as it would water down their rhetoric. I believe they' re gonna go all out with their downloading service and try to put that on the map. Right now, they can say, " HD-DVD is dead? So what! We knew that downloading was the future anyway!" If they adopt Blu-ray this late in the game it will make their download service seem questionable. Does that make sense?

ORIGINAL: canadagamer

Furthermore, you can pick up a very nice up conversion DVD player which will give you pretty much the same picture quality as what you will get with today' s blu-ray technology which is constantly evolving. My older brother went out and bough a blu-ray player when they first launched, and because his is an older model, new releases will not play on the player because he has been told he needs a patch to update the blu-ray player.

Nope. Upscaling doesn' t even come CLOSE on a screen that' s over 40" ! As for older Blu-ray models, yeah. They released them waaay before they were ready. Easy fix, though! PS3!

All I am saying is that there is no need for the consumer to rush out and get caught up in the whole HD-DVD format wars at this time. We need to remember that this is still fairly new technology, so it may take a couple of more years or so for blu-ray to really be with the money.

I don' t agree. It' s not a " war" any longer. Blu-ray is king. PS3 is the way to go. I think High Def is worth every penny! It' s like PS2 vs. PS3 to me! I CAN' T play that sh.t anymore! I do watch the occasional movie in standard def, but my eyes bleed.

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 26, 2008 20:20
This whole " war" thing had me laughing from the outset. MS knew HDDVD was dead long before we did, hence the live marketplace allowing us to download HD movies(It' s not great business sense to crowd your platform with similar services).

For them practically using Toshiba as a sheild this whole HD vs BR " battle" was simply an excercise to hold Sony back, to delay them, because that' s what big corporations do.

They were well aware of the lessons learnt by Sony bringing DVD to the masses with the PS2, and if they had wanted to compete they would have integrated the drive from the word dot.

But seriously who could go back to SD now they have got used to HD? Not me. Althuogh I have just bought an old 32" Sony SD CRT to make all my old consoles look a dammn sight smoother.

mikayd2
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 04:04

But seriously who could go back to SD now they have got used to HD? Not me. Althuogh I have just bought an old 32" Sony SD CRT to make all my old consoles look a dammn sight smoother.

I don' t think thats possible . I love High-Def have you guys ever seen a football game in High-Def . It' s like being there on the field.

High-Def is the way of the future.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 04:34
In 1080i? Really? It' s better than SD, sure, but I wouldn' t file broadcast HD under " amazing" quite yet.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 05:14

I don' t think thats possible . I love High-Def have you guys ever seen a football game in High-Def . It' s like being there on the field.

High-Def is the way of the future.
Have you ever actually been to a game?

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 08:47
Football games smell like sweat, beer and cheap hot-dogs.

I don' t particularly enjoy the scent of any of those.

I' d far rather sit at home, watch the first and last five minutes of the game on my HDTV, and play some games for the remainder of my time.

mikayd2
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 08:49

Have you ever actually been to a game?

Yes I have . I wanted to go to the super bowl this year. But My wife denied my request she is the party pooper out of the family. Next year I may not have the money to go oh well.

In 1080i? Really? It' s better than SD, sure, but I wouldn' t file broadcast HD under " amazing" quite yet.

Looks great here in america espn comes in 720p and 1080p (Beta). I here the 1080p is in beta testing that would explain they only showed 3 games this season in 1080p. I hope we get more shows like that next year. At least broadcast the super bowl in 1080p.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 09:04

Yes I have . I wanted to go to the super bowl this year. But My wife denied my request she is the party pooper out of the family. Next year I may not have the money to go oh well.

Why not just put away the cash you had for that, or at least some of it. Save up, and be golden for next year?

Looks great here in america espn comes in 720p and 1080p (Beta). I here the 1080p is in beta testing that would explain they only showed 3 games this season in 1080p. I hope we get more shows like that next year. At least broadcast the super bowl in 1080p.

Is it really? Well I' ll be damned. I wasn' t aware people were getting any 1080p, beta or not.

mikayd2
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Feb 27, 2008 12:36

Why not just put away the cash you had for that, or at least some of it. Save up, and be golden for next year?

Trust me I have a plan but this year is a big year for me. But you never know things may change.

Is it really? Well I' ll be damned. I wasn' t aware people were getting any 1080p, beta or not.

I thought every body got in on that. Must be a time warner thing. But I here lately that the nfl and time warner have been at a disagreement over money and some other things but mainly money. It started with the Colts Vs Pats. My cable box would not record it due to that dam Time warner Vs Nfl fight.

Evilkiller
  • Total Posts : 660
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Mar 07, 2008 20:39
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca6017de-eba6-11dc-9493-0000779fd2ac.aspx?nclick_check=1

Well, at least now it' s official that Sony and Microsoft are talking about it. I hope they' ll offer it as an addon.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Mar 08, 2008 00:17
Like I said before, I can' t imagine them not releasing an add-on player some time in the future. It' s a relatively inexpensive cash cow for them, and far less of an investment than it was for the HD-DVD drives, especially with blu-ray component costs plummetting.

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: [RUMOR] Blu-Ray 360 Drive by May - Mar 08, 2008 01:18

At least broadcast the super bowl in 1080p.

At least in North America I know that most networks that are advertising true 1080p, are still upscaling the image or stretching it. I noticed this a lot this year while watching the NFL on either Fox or CBS. You could tell right away that there were only upscaling because on my 62 inch the ticker at the bottom of the screen was cut off, and the score board in the upper left hand corner wasn' t in the corner. It was more like 3 inches to the right.

Saw the same thing during the Super Bowl. Not sure though if this is just caused because of my cable provider, or if the networks are really just upscaling for now.
Most wanted games:

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Crysis
Little Big Planet
Drakes Fortune
UTIII
Kane and Lynch
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake