• Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 03:51
You' ll see.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 04:08
I hope someone burns down every factory pumping out Wiis. Piece of shit holding back the industry...

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 05:44

I hope someone burns down every factory pumping out Wiis. Piece of shit holding back the industry...

Hell Yeah

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 05:45
This is better for gamers all around, with no excessively dominant leading platform. Even the Wii' s lead isn' t as out of hand as the PS2 and PS1 was. The existence of the Wii provides a convenient scapegoat, though, because it' s a fact that hardcore gaming cannot continue to develop in the same way that it has to date. I' ve mentioned this before, but I' ll say it again: we already have games that take over two years' development time with staffing of a couple hundred people. In order to continually increase that amount of manpower, it will require greater investments by publishers and there will be fewer and fewer publishers who can do that, e.g., EA and Activision. So, blame the Wii if you want, but the artform itself has certain limitations and those limitations are imposed by CAPITAL, not technology.

The future of gaming is not always going to be in more horsepower; it' s going to be in more diverse artistry.
< Message edited by zoy -- 4 Feb 08 21:47:04 >

Agent Ghost
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 07:08
Capital is the problem I' m complaining about. If Wii was only affecting Wii, there would be no problem I simply wouldn' t by a Wii and be happy.

The problem is that publishers are effectively losing Wii for multiplatform games. They need to downgrade the game which requires further development, in some cases they have to remake the game again.

The assets for multiplatform games have to be made twice this gen. Once for PC/360/PS3 and again for Wii. That' s not helping development costs. Nor is it helping tight time constraints.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 07:33

Wrong. The factories that are supposed to be pumping out Wiis need to actually start pumping out Wiis, (yes, I know they' re just stockpiling, roll with it) so the consumer hype will disappear once they' re not a " hot item" .

Virtua fighter 5
  • Total Posts : 1327
  • Reward points : 4650
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 07:56

Capital is the problem I' m complaining about. If Wii was only affecting Wii, there would be no problem I simply wouldn' t by a Wii and be happy.

The problem is that publishers are effectively losing Wii for multiplatform games. They need to downgrade the game which requires further development, in some cases they have to remake the game again.

The assets for multiplatform games have to be made twice this gen. Once for PC/360/PS3 and again for Wii. That' s not helping development costs. Nor is it helping tight time constraints.

sorry, i cant make any sense out of that
Currently playing:
Korg DS 10 (ds) /  Metal Slug 7 (ds)
Rhythm Heaven (ds) /  Fire Emblem (ds)
Super Stardust HD (psn) /  Virtua Fighter 5 (360)
FSX (P

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 08:15
I hope PS3 and 360 sales remain close for competition sake, but I have major doubts in EA' s prediction.

The way I see it sony will be lucky to sell as many PS3' s as 360' s on a month per month basis.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Nitro
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 08:25
Wii isn' t sharing multiplatform titles with the next-gen systems. In most cases it' s sharing multiplatform titles with PS2 and PSP, ...and in the cases where it is getting the same games as PS3 and 360, the Wii port is more often than not handled by a different team.

The only area Wii is actually affecting the other two systems is by " stealing" games like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, ...and in those particular cases it was as simple as " who' s doing the best in the region where these games make most of their money" . Since the answer for both is Japan, and Nintendo is performing better than Sony and (LOL) Microsoft in that region... it makes no sense to not only spend more money on development for a next-gen system, but to develop for a relatively small install base.

If TimeSplitters 4 goes Wii exclusive, i' ll be pissed. Not because i won' t be able to play it, because i' ll be buying a Wii just as soon as i can find one... but because i want a next-gen TimeSplitters. Same thing for Monster Hunter. I freakin' love the series, so it pisses me off that i' m not getting a next-gen version. I understand why, but i don' t have to like it.

Nintendo' s performance so far this gen speaks for itself, but i do expect Sony to come on in leaps and bounds this year and next. Maybe PS3 won' t pass Nintendo at all this gen, but it' ll certainly pass 360, and it wouldn' t surprise me if it was this year.
< Message edited by nitro -- 5 Feb 08 0:25:51 >

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 15:42

ORIGINAL: Zoy
I' ve mentioned this before, but I' ll say it again: we already have games that take over two years' development time with staffing of a couple hundred people. In order to continually increase that amount of manpower, it will require greater investments by publishers and there will be fewer and fewer publishers who can do that, e.g., EA and Activision. So, blame the Wii if you want, but the artform itself has certain limitations and those limitations are imposed by CAPITAL, not technology.

The future of gaming is not always going to be in more horsepower; it' s going to be in more diverse artistry.

I also think horsepower alone won' t cut it actually.

I' ve also considered this financial side before. After I finished Ocarina of Time again a while ago I looked at the credits and noticed how few people actually worked on the game compared to games nowadays. And still it' s great and only some Megabytes in size :P

Not that there shouldn' t be any progress. But I sometimes wonder if consoles actually aren' t a bit too advanced compared to what' s actually feasible. I mean, Sony and Microsoft need to sell their products at quite a loss at first. Despite the fact that the consoles cost a lot these days compared to before then. It' s kind of easy to have something very advanced of course if it comes at a high price. And will consoles stay at this price point now or will they continue to increase in price?In that case they kind of forgot the point of console gaming, which was to have some affordable gaming device. There' s still the pc for high-end gaming. On the other hand, those consoles need to be around for a couple of years so it' s best to have one that' s a bit " future proof" of course.

Torr
  • Total Posts : 554
  • Reward points : 8100
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 21:24

Warning this is rather jumbled and I imagine hard to read, so if you read it and don' t understand then ignore me(or do what you normally do).

Enjoy

I agree for the most part with you ys, it is becoming a bit more of a struggle a gamble when creating a next-gen console, but it does seem all of the big three have their own strategies.

As for 360 falling into 3 place, from what we have heard about the games coming out this year they are definitely going to take a hit. I am semi-confident that they have more games in the wings. The major point is that PS3 is getting cheaper and getting some awesome exclusives this year, so who is to say it won' t start kicking ass. In lots of ways 2007 was a huge year for 360(especially the end) and either way they have to slow down just because they did so well.

As for the Wii I feel that it won' t make or break the other two, in lots of ways it is in its own category. This category does however affect how developers view the industry, they can create a game that takes less capital and have a non-next gen game or they could put more capital and time in and get a next gen game. Now if a game flops on the Wii it will have cost them less, but if it makes it big then how much money are they going to make? whats the attach rate for Wiis? Now if they were to make it big on a next gen console then the profits are much greater, so the question is if the risk is worth it. Unfortunately most pc developers(beside mmos for the most part) have decided that it just isn' t worth it to keep making games(this is a generalization and I know there are still games coming out, so don' t get on my back yet), so instead we have tons of companies making games like Peggle and Bejewled and are making lots of money.

In my opinion the focus of the gaming industry will be shifting(if ever so slightly) in the years to come, MS and Sony will at least try to create some add-ons like Wii-fit(look at the scene it game). Now if this is going to hurt the industry is up for debate(as we are a clear example of).

Nitro
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 05, 2008 22:02

ORIGINAL: Torr

In my opinion the focus of the gaming industry will be shifting(if ever so slightly) in the years to come, MS and Sony will at least try to create some add-ons like Wii-fit(look at the scene it game). Now if this is going to hurt the industry is up for debate(as we are a clear example of).

Oh hey, like uh...

EyeToy: Play
EyeToy: Groove
EyeToy: Antigrav
EyeToy: Play 2
EyeToy: Monkey Mania
EyeToy: Kinetic
EyeToy: EduKids
EyeToy: Play 3
EyeToy: Operation Spy
Eyetoy: Play Sports
Eyetoy: Kinetic Combat
SingStar
SingStar Party
SingStar Pop
SingStar ' 80s
SingStar Rocks!
SingStar Anthems
SingStar Legends
SingStar Pop Hits
Buzz! The Music Quiz
Buzz! The Big Quiz

...or yeah, that Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action game...

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 06, 2008 06:53
Plus every craptastic game that requires the Live Vision Camera.

GrayFox
  • Total Posts : 356
  • Reward points : 0
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 06, 2008 10:14
If i read that table correctly then the 360 (6.5mil) sold only 1mil more than the PS3 (5.4mil) in US/EU in 2007.Considering all the PS3 problems like pricing and lack of games and the 360' s good games, i think the PS3 will destroy the 360 this year because almost all of PS3' s problems are/will be solved and there aren' t many great games for 360.

But i find it difficult to believe since adding in JP sales the PS3 would have sold more than or pretty close to the 360 in 2007.

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 06, 2008 17:56

ORIGINAL: Torr
As for the Wii I feel that it won' t make or break the other two, in lots of ways it is in its own category. This category does however affect how developers view the industry, they can create a game that takes less capital and have a non-next gen game or they could put more capital and time in and get a next gen game.

I don' t think the Wii will make or break the other two as you said either.

What I' m still not sure about is if Wii really is " responsible" for this. Maybe the industry shifted towards these types of games already and Wii became the scapegoat.

I mean, looking at Nitro' s list. Many of these series were around before the Wii as far as I know. Peripherals have been around for quite a while too. Just to name one console : Dreamcast also had quite a few (special) peripherals. Things like maracas, fishing rods or a camera. But many saw it then as some niche within gaming and something creative or welcomed for the sake of difference instead of the usual " normal" games.

And I know non-gaming people who now bought PS2' s with games as Buzz, Guitar Hero and Singstar. Which they of course play at parties with friends. Actually, from what I' ve seen, many non-gamers bought a PS2 for those party games and not a Wii. The non-gamers I know who wanted a Wii wanted it for games like Mario actually.
< Message edited by ys -- 6 Feb 08 9:57:23 >

Demonoroth
  • Total Posts : 359
  • Reward points : 18080
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 06, 2008 23:25
It' s just ridiculous to try and blame the Wii for everything.

But hey seems to be the trend on the net these days.

As said above already many more casual games came out before the Wii was ever released. Now more people just see it because there' s a console to caters to non-gamers and such a market as well.

Besides money is money. If you can make some quick and easy money then ofcourse you' re gonna do it.

What was it on PS3 have to sell 1 million copies to break even and then you can start making a profit on your game...now that' s just insane. Every game that' s made for it has to be a hit or you' re gonna lose money on it.

Then you look at the Wii, large install base, it' s cheap and even if your game only has average sales, you' ll still gonna make some profit.

It' s simple it' s all about the money, why take a risk when you can play it safe. At the end of they day the gaming companies don' t care if we had fun or not. They do care about their wallet and how much profit they made.

If anyone is going to break the 360 and ps3 it' s themselves with their stupid high development costs.
Wii code: 2072 1110 4558 6538
Smash Bros Brawl: 1848-3246-8526
Mario Kart: 412452409500
Mario Strikers: 120360 413659
NiGHTS: 3737-8754-6785
PES 08: 4339-4437-7901

PSN: Demonoroth
pm me if you add anything

Agent Ghost
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 07, 2008 01:43

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 07, 2008 03:22

What was it on PS3 have to sell 1 million copies to break even and then you can start making a profit on your game...now that' s just insane. Every game that' s made for it has to be a hit or you' re gonna lose money on it.

Then you look at the Wii, large install base, it' s cheap and even if your game only has average sales, you' ll still gonna make some profit.

It' s simple it' s all about the money, why take a risk when you can play it safe. At the end of they day the gaming companies don' t care if we had fun or not. They do care about their wallet and how much profit they made.

So basically youre saying all the mediocre garbage on the Wii is okay as long as it turns a profit.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Demonoroth
  • Total Posts : 359
  • Reward points : 18080
RE: EA estimates 360 a distant 3rd for this year - Feb 07, 2008 05:48
No immortal for us gamers it isn' t. And as someone who can' t afford to buy one of the other two systems right now till they drop even more in price it' s very sad that many of the things coming out is indeed mediocre crap.

To me as a gamer that certainly isn' t ok.

But it sadly enough is for developers. And if it did sell less than expected then they just go " Only Nintendo sells on Nintendo consoles" .

They should instead for once put their A team on a game for Wii and have a look at how it sells then instead of making up a team of all the mediocre ones they have left hanging around somewhere.

So yeah no as a gamer it' s far from ok and it pisses me off that as good as the only thing the only console I can afford right now is getting are mediocre games or a quick wii-make.

But looking at it from a developers point. Why take a risk and invest a lot of money. When you can invest less and have a bigger reassurance of making profit. That' s how business works and the gaming industry isn' t any different from all the rest...sadly enough.
Wii code: 2072 1110 4558 6538
Smash Bros Brawl: 1848-3246-8526
Mario Kart: 412452409500
Mario Strikers: 120360 413659
NiGHTS: 3737-8754-6785
PES 08: 4339-4437-7901

PSN: Demonoroth
pm me if you add anything