Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Lost Odyssey impressions .
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 36 of 36
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Feb 27, 2008 23:23
Well I' ve put a few hours into the game now. I' ve just made my way into that first forest so other than the opening of the game I haven' t really gotten to test out the battle system yet. I' ve mainly just bee exposed to a bunch of story elements and characters. I' m very pleased with everything so far and can tell I' m going to really enjoy this game.

I find it funny that after just finishing Blue Dragon I still have that mindset of having to tap the A button repeatedly while walking my objects to examine them for items. The lack of that in LO almost makes the game feel emptier. Then again it' ll save a lot of time in the long run.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Feb 28, 2008 06:53
I picked this up last week and so far I am really enjoying the experience. Obviously there is not much to say about the combat as it is very much just your traditional JRPG turn based system, so I will skip to what I like so far.

Biggest part to this game that I am enjoying believe it or not, are the dream sequences. The stories are written very well, and some of them have even left me feeling for Kaim and what he has gone through in his immortal life. I know that some people might complain because of the reading aspect, but I am telling you that it is worth the time to read these dream stories.

Graphically it is hit and miss in the areas I have been to so far. I just finished Grand Staff, and I am at the Namura capital right now. Anyway, the 2 areas that have impressed me so far were the quick little battle you have at the beginning of the game on the Wohl Highlands (I am not talking about the CG, but rather the parts where you control Kaim). Everything on screen was clean, crisp, and nicely detailed. The second area would have to be your little trek through the mountains. Panning side to side and looking out at the vast draw distance at times was breathtaking IMHO. On a side note, it might be nothing, but the fact that Kaim slows down and holds his arm up to his face in the wind and rain was a nice touch. Now the miss is the fact that not all characters and environments are as detailed as one another. The best example I can give is the Queen of Namura. She just looks so plain, with little to no detail about her at all, almost plastic looking. It may just be me, but it did bother me a little.

As for the characters, I will have to say that so far I really don' t like how Emo Kaim is. I just can' t stand listening to him piss and moan all of the time. Now I understand this is because of what he has gone through in his 1000 years, but come on. I would have much preferred to have a mix of the sadness in him along with embedded anger that comes out once in a while. Maybe I' ll see that later on the game, but for now it is quite annoying. Surprisingly enough I am finding myself liking Jansen, and I have to admit that I have had a few chuckles at some of his jokes. Seth is hot so it' s all good there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously though, I like the fact that as another immortal her attitude seems to be ying to Kaim' s yang which is nice. She seems to be more upbeat, and happier with her 1000 year life so far. Now what I am impressed with most with the characters so far are the voice overs. Lip sync seems to be spot on, and you really feel the emotion in each character during the cut scenes(which are plentiful). They have chosen the voice overs for each character very well, as they suit Kaim, Seth, and Jansen perfectly.

All in all I am glad I picked Lost Odyssey. I particularly like the old style turn based systems still, and the story in Lost Odyssey so far is very good. I recommend anyone who still enjoys the old style JRPG to pick this one up, you won' t regret it.
< Message edited by canadagamer -- 27 Feb 08 22:58:28 >
Rampage99

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Feb 28, 2008 23:54
To touch on the battle system a bit I do like the touch of the rings. Having the ability to boost the strength of your attack by timing the ring makes the regular combat feel a bit more hands on and lively than most turn based games I' ve played.

I' m also liking Jansen. When he came stumbling out drunk when you start your trip I got a good laugh. Kaim' s emoness hasn' t bothered me at this point. I' m approaching the Grand Staff (I' m at the save right before it) and thus far he really hasn' t said much at all. He just kind of grunts or says a word or two, I wouldn' t call it pissing and moaning... just apathy. I' m actually fine with that. I' m sure his personality will come out more later in the game. Seth seems pretty cool. I like her dynamic between the other two characters so far.

The voice acting is great. It' s some of the best I' ve heard in a jrpg. It' s really makes this game more engrossing.

The visuals are kind of hit and miss as you said. For the most part it looks really good. Every now and then though you can point out things you wish they would have put a little more effort into. The animations are one of those things I wish they would have polished. Compared to Blue Dragon the animations are a lot less fluid for the cutscenes and running animations. Still, for the most part this game has some great visuals.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Feb 29, 2008 01:03
I' m interested to see what you guys think about Cooke and Mack when you reach that point of the game which isn' t too far from where you are.

I personally couldn' t take the cheesiness. Maybe it' s just me.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Feb 29, 2008 01:06
Nope .. I find cooke and mack cheesy too ..
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 03:52
guys i need your help here , somthing i can' t figure out, it' s about those damn rings and their abilities.

when an immortal learns an ability from a ring, say immune to blind, i said when he/she learns it, why when i unequip the ring, the ability seems to disapear , this applies to all rings... if that' s true because i can' t believe the developers are that dumb, what' s the purpose of learning this ability anyway??

can somebody please answer this question, thanks.
Rampage99

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 04:06
Actually the rings are for weapon enhancements. You are thinking of the accessories. With the accessories once you learn the ability it stays with the character... you just have to equip the spell once you' ve changed accessories. In the menu go to your skills. For the immortals you have three skill slots you can equip. This is what balances the immortals out. They have strong attacks but are limited on how many skills they can use. You can learn as many skills you want with the immortals, you are just restricted to having access to only three at any given time.

Later on you' ll find an accessory that increases your skill slots by an extra three allowing you to tote six skills into battle.

I just got onto disc three and am having a blast. Cooke and Mack are little sh*ts though...
Abasoufiane

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 04:11
thanks rampage, i totaly forgot about this very important detail, it was introduced very early in the game and somehow my mind skiped it, i remember now and everything seems to make more sense. thanks again for the quick answer.
Rampage99

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 04:24
No prob.
canadagamer

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 04:29
Very important though, is that you have to remember that when you are training an immortal a skill you have to go into Formation and make sure that your immortal learning the skill is in the same row as the mortal you are learning it from.

Rampage99

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 04:54
Umm... that' s skill link. That doesn' t work the same way as learning a skill from an accessory. Pretty sure he was just inquiring about the accessory skills. I find the skill link useless for the most part.
canadagamer

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 05:10

Umm... that' s skill link. That doesn' t work the same way as learning a skill from an accessory. Pretty sure he was just inquiring about the accessory skills. I find the skill link useless for the most part.

My bad. I thought that he was talking about the skill link. I find the skill link very helpful. I am just starting disc 2, and I already got Seth and Kaim to learn Spirit Magic.
Abasoufiane

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 09:31

Very important though, is that you have to remember that when you are training an immortal a skill you have to go into Formation and make sure that your immortal learning the skill is in the same row as the mortal you are learning it from

WHAT ? i thought it only should be in your party not necessarly in the same row ! are u sure about that or did u just not say that correctly ? because i haven' t notcied that probably because i put the mortal target skill and the immortal in the same row by chance.. if true that is...
canadagamer

RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 09:41

WHAT ? i thought it only should be in your party not necessarly in the same row ! are u sure about that or did u just not say that correctly ? because i haven' t notcied that probably because i put the mortal target skill and the immortal in the same row by chance.. if true that is...

If you are using the skill link, then yes you have to make sure that the mortal and the immortal are in the same row in order for your immortal to learn that skill.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 09:42

ORIGINAL: canadagamer

Very important though, is that you have to remember that when you are training an immortal a skill you have to go into Formation and make sure that your immortal learning the skill is in the same row as the mortal you are learning it from.

I am pretty sure they dont have to be in the same row . Probably they will gain more SP and learn the skill faster but it isnt necessary .. I am on Disc 3 at Gohtza . This game is awesome and gald to see its selling well in the US .
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Lost Odyssey impressions . - Mar 19, 2008 17:12
Finished it last week. It' s a great JRPG experience.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 36 of 36

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message