Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PSP Sales Double In Japan
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 54
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 10:50
I don' t think UMD was ever meant to replace DVDs, UMD movies were a feature of the handheld. As for UMD being used instead of flash based media like DS, I see it as the neccessary solution for reasonably high capacity and transfer speeds for handheld media, something the games need more than anything else. Flash is still too slow and expensive to have the speed and capacity PSP games need (especially then). People bitch because a spinning disc eats the battery but flash would not have been feasible for the specs that the PSP needs. Sony had no choice but to use a mini disc type of media.

That being said, even with PSP 2 Sony is likely to go with a spining disc again, it will be the best solution despite falling flash prices but people will still whine. They' ll be just as clueless, as they are now. If they base the new disc media on Blu-ray tech they' ll be able to have maybe 16GB discs (rough estimate) with transfer speeds exceeding the BD player in the PS3. For a handheld that would be fooking sweet. The potential is there, it' s all a matter of how much Sony is willing to invest in the PSP2. Hopefully they won' t rush it out anytime soon.

DS games capacity 265MB
PSP games media 1.8 GB

Both Nintendo and Sony have proprietary media for their handhelds. Sony had to go for higher capacity to feed their beefier handheld and they' re the ones that get burned. I don' t get it.

Movies on a handheld is a waste of time, but UMD itself is simply a good design choice.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 28 Dec 07 21:52:04 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 10:51
Battery life - 6.5 hours or so with the stock battery, if you buy the 2200mah battery its over 11 hours

And sony doesn' t need to rush PSP2 out, PSP1 is going to be more powerful than Nintendo' s next 2 handhelds, nintendo is garbage. There is no technological pressure to release PSP2, it' s not like they' re competing against Microsoft here.
< Message edited by emofag -- 29 Dec 07 2:56:34 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 11:00
3-4 hours (games/UMD movies)
4-6 hours (emulators with the unit running at various speeds - 222/266/333MHz)
5-6 hours (video played off the memory stick)
6-8 hours (music)

If you use headphones and one of the dimmer screen settings you can extend the battery life by an hour or two for each catagory.

It' s great for watching movies while flying... it has the best screen of any portable media player... (closely followed by the iPod Touch/iPhone) ...but additional batteries are almost necessary for most people.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 11:12
Yet.

Emo' s about right with the battery life, but a lot of that' s dependent on how active your drive is while you' re playing.

I' m personally looking forward to the PSP2, but the PSP is doing quite alright as it is.
emofag

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 12:01
I lasts way more than 4 hours, nitro is on crack. Unless you are talking about the old models, but even those last 5+ hours in games.
< Message edited by emofag -- 29 Dec 07 4:05:22 >
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 17:40
Still, even if its just around four hours, I think that' s pretty decent amount of time without charging. I think four hours is more than enough, considering that most will probably have access to a nearby electrical plug anyway. Unless you' re taking a long road trip or flying pretty far, battery life shouldn' t be to much of a problem.

Now, if you couldn' t play it while charging, then a four hour battery would be pretty bad. I don' t have a PSP, but I am sure I' ve seen people been able to play it while charging, that is possible right?
< Message edited by chimura -- 29 Dec 07 9:42:58 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 18:40

After ***ing up with the Betamax, Minidisc and ATRAC formats,

You are aware that the Compact Disc was jointly developed by Philips and Sony? The most successful media in history...
Nitro

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 21:12

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

You are aware that the Compact Disc was jointly developed by Philips and Sony? The most successful media in history...

What does that have to do with anything?

Sony even developed a rival to DVD which they had to abandon... my point still stands...

ORIGINAL: emofag

I lasts way more than 4 hours, nitro is on crack. Unless you are talking about the old models, but even those last 5+ hours in games.

Orignal models, stock batteries, full brightness, full volume.

It depends on the game, but titles like Liberty City Stories that require a lot of disk access... you' re not going to get 5 hours staight.

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

As for UMD being used instead of flash based media like DS, I see it as the neccessary solution for reasonably high capacity and transfer speeds for handheld media, something the games need more than anything else. Flash is still too slow and expensive to have the speed and capacity PSP games need (especially then). People bitch because a spinning disc eats the battery but flash would not have been feasible for the specs that the PSP needs. Sony had no choice but to use a mini disc type of media.

Playing ripped PSP games off a Pro Duo results in faster loading times and better battery life. Why not put out games on that format instead?
emofag

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 21:56
Because a 2GB stick costs $5-$10 to make and a UMD costs $0.05?

And playing games off the memory stick consumes about the same amount of battery, loading times stay about the same unless you' re still using an old PSP, in which case you need to go get a job and buy a new one. And who the fuck doesn' t use headphones with their PSP? How much is VF5 paying you to talk shit?

And liberty story sucks, ass.
< Message edited by emofag -- 29 Dec 07 14:03:54 >
Nitro

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 29, 2007 22:43
Playing games off the memory stick uses less battery due to not having to spin the disc every 2 seconds. Moving parts = bad battery life.

You can up the clock rate to 333MHz to get even faster load times, but then, that too decreases the battery life.

I am still using the older models. I see no reason to buy a Slim... unless i' m missing something? Do they offer anything other than a shitty pull open drive and less weight? Oh right, the cache! But i don' t need to worry about that since playing off a memory stick yields the same results...

As for GTA... it' s a matter of taste. It' s technically brilliant, but the PSP has to access the disk a lot and so it puts strain on the battery. Since devs are now able to utilize the whole 333MHz (God of War being one of the first), battery life will only decrease as games will put more strain on the processor. Ever wonder why they capped it in the first place? Dumbass.

emofag

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 01:23
Because the screen is better, the buttons are better, the battery life is better, it supports 8GB+ sticks and it' s smaller?

And your last comment makes no sense, sony caps 99% of PSP' s features, what' s your point?

And playing off a memory stick doesn' t yield the same loading results, moron. Playing games off the memory stick doesn' t increase battery life either. It' s pathetic your best explanation is " omgz teh moving partz" you obviously have no technical knowledge of what you' re talking about,

It obviously takes no power to stream data off a high speed memory stick right? Dumb shit. It has been proven the difference between playing off UMD and off stick is less than 3% battery efficiency, in other words, it makes no difference.

< Message edited by emofag -- 29 Dec 07 17:32:13 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 01:26

And playing off a memory stick doesn' t yield the same loading results, moron. Playing games off the memory stick doesn' t increase battery life either. It' s pathetic your best explanation is " omgz teh moving partz" you obviously have no technical knowledge of what you' re talking about.

Games that stream data from the drive drain the battery faster. That' s not exactly an alien concept.
emofag

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 01:30
Right, and you think the PSP just loads all 1.8GB of data from a memory stick instantly? No. It still has to stream as often as it would off a UMD.

The data is still streamed from the memory stick, pull out your memory stick next time you play a game off it and see how hot it gets.

Memory Stick Pro Duo' s aren' t ***ing floppy disks, it takes comparable amount of power to stream data off them.
< Message edited by emofag -- 29 Dec 07 17:37:33 >
Nitro

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 01:50
How have they improved the screen? If it' s the same spec 4.3 inch, 16: 9 TFT LCD (480×272 / 16.77 million colors) they used before (which it is), what have they improved? They didn' t change the chipset... they simply upped the main RAM from 32MiB to 64MiB... and that has nothing to do with the screen, ...and it does still max out at 200 cd/m2 right?

I don' t know about the buttons though, ...there was never anything wrong with them in the first place after they fixed the square button sticking in the original batches...

And how is the battery life better? They cut the capacity by a third, hence people using older model batteries without the cover (because it wouldn' t fit) because they last longer, ...then after recognising the problem they (earlier this month) release a PSP Extended Life Battery Kit in the US. With a 2200 MAh battery and a cover that fits over the extra bulk? That' s ***ing genius!

And yeah dude, running games off the memory stick, on the older stock batteries does give comparable results to the Slim & Lite (LOL) (on it' s stock battery) in terms of battery life and loading times. Exactly how you would know otherwise when you' ve never done it... i don' t know.

PSP Slim may feature better (read: more efficient) power managment, and you' ll get better battery life from playing UMD video or UMD games from it compared to the original models, but it' s not as much an improvement as was needed and i haven' t been compelled to pick one up. It' s not like the originals are actually heavy or bulky. The new models are for girls.

< Message edited by nitro -- 29 Dec 07 17:52:24 >
emofag

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 03:39

ORIGINAL: Nitro

How have they improved the screen? If it' s the same spec 4.3 inch, 16: 9 TFT LCD (480×272 / 16.77 million colors) they used before (which it is), what have they improved? They didn' t change the chipset... they simply upped the main RAM from 32MiB to 64MiB... and that has nothing to do with the screen, ...and it does still max out at 200 cd/m2 right?

I don' t know about the buttons though, ...there was never anything wrong with them in the first place after they fixed the square button sticking in the original batches...

And how is the battery life better? They cut the capacity by a third, hence people using older model batteries without the cover (because it wouldn' t fit) because they last longer, ...then after recognising the problem they (earlier this month) release a PSP Extended Life Battery Kit in the US. With a 2200 MAh battery and a cover that fits over the extra bulk? That' s ***ing genius!

And yeah dude, running games off the memory stick, on the older stock batteries does give comparable results to the Slim & Lite (LOL) (on it' s stock battery) in terms of battery life and loading times. Exactly how you would know otherwise when you' ve never done it... i don' t know.

PSP Slim may feature better (read: more efficient) power managment, and you' ll get better battery life from playing UMD video or UMD games from it compared to the original models, but it' s not as much an improvement as was needed and i haven' t been compelled to pick one up. It' s not like the originals are actually heavy or bulky. The new models are for girls.

The old screen had ghosting problems, the buttons are more responsive, the D pad was repositioned so you can safely move your fingers around in fighting games without having to worry about scratching the screen.

And they cut the capacity of the battery by a third because the system consumes over a third less energy, moron. People who used old batteries do it because they like extremely long charge times, as I said I get 11 hours with an old battery.

And who said I' ve never run a game off a memory stick?

And again your last comment makes no sense, by that logic we should all be carrying brick cellphones from the 80' s because the smaller ones are for girls. Retard.

Get a job and stfu, the only reason you haven' t gotten one is because you' re poor.
< Message edited by emofag -- 29 Dec 07 19:40:51 >
ginjirou

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 03:52

What does that have to do with anything?

Sony even developed a rival to DVD which they had to abandon... my point still stands...

So far there' s been three big media formats: VHS, CD and DVD.
Sony is to a huge part responsible for developing one of these three successful formats.
You can' t really blame them for trying again, and I' m very thankfull that they are trying because that' s the only way we' ll see new formats.
You sound like you expect a company to succeed in every move they make but that' s not how it works. You try and try and try until finally you hit the spot and get a success. Blu-ray looks like it might be their second success. Creating two out of four major media formats is no small task.
And even though they failed the other formats they weren' t for nothing. For example their work on MiniDisc paved the way for UMD, which simplified their work on the PSP.
And even though some formats failed I wouldn' t say they were bad. They simply failed getting the right support and didn' t market their products enough. Minidisc was great and it should' ve been greater. The reason people didn' t buy it was because mp3' s had become so popular, something Sony underestimated. And with all the piracy it was simply easier for people to take the mp3' s straight into the mp3-players.
And if it wasn' t for piracy people would be buying UMD movies. But as it stands right now, too many people are downloading movies. And it' s much cheaper putting downloaded movies on a memory card then buying a UMD.
So I don' t think their efforts in creating new media is something we should see as something bad. We should praise them for trying.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 29 Dec 07 19:59:12 >
Nitro

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 05:00

And they cut the capacity of the battery by a third because the system consumes over a third less energy, moron. People who used old batteries do it because they like extremely long charge times, as I said I get 11 hours with an old battery.

The battery capacity was cut to make the battery smaller, not because the system consumes less energy. Are you completely dense? People with the newer models have been using the older batteries for a reason - they last longer. The smaller batteries you get with the Slim are only as good as the old batteries were for the older models. Use an old battery with the newer PSP' s and you extend the battery life ...duh!

So yeah, you can use the older batteries with the Slim, ...but you can' t replace the battery cover because the battery is too big. That means you have to get the ($44.99) PSP Extended Life Battery Kit they just released. You with me champ? Only so far it' s only released in the US.

So you' re right, you can get 8-10 hours out of the PSP Slim if you use the old batteries or buy the Extended Life Battery Kit, but if you use the stock battery... you get the same results as the older PSP' s... 3-6 hours.

And again your last comment makes no sense, by that logic we should all be carrying brick cellphones from the 80' s because the smaller ones are for girls. Retard.

Because the difference is huge-ish?

No...

Do you fail this badly at everything you do?

EDIT: Uh, is it my eyes or is the d-pad still in the same place?
< Message edited by nitro -- 29 Dec 07 21:04:27 >
ginjirou

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 05:04
I kinda like the fat PSP. You got to have something to hold on to you know.
Nitro

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 05:06

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

I kinda like the fat PSP. You got to have something to hold on to you know.

I bet you like fat girls too...
ginjirou

RE: PSP Sales Double In Japan - Dec 30, 2007 05:22
In the dark, they' re all beautiful
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 54

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages