Nintendo DS -- 1,530,000

October 2007 Hardware Sales

PlayStation 2 -- 184,000
PayStation 3 -- 121,000
PlayStation Portable -- 286,000
Xbox 360 -- 366,000
Wii -- 519,000
Nintendo DS -- 458,000
" If the year had ended on December 1st, 2007 would be up 5% versus last year," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier. " With the biggest month of the year yet to go, total industry sales are on track to achieve between $18B and $19B in the U.S."

Software numbers were equally encouraging, with Activision' s Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (selling 3.5X more on Xbox 360 than PS3) and Nintendo of America' s Super Mario Galaxy clearly pulling ahead of the pack. Unfortunately, November hopefuls Rock Band and Uncharted: Drake' s Fortune both failed to break into the top 10. We' ll have more on those games and others in an NPD follow-up tomorrow, and look forward to discussion on their numbers in the next 1UP Yours. November 2007 Software Sales
1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) -- 1,570,000
2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) -- 1,120,000
3. Assassin' s Creed (Xbox 360) -- 980,000
4. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PlayStation 2) -- 967,000
5. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) -- 564,000
6. Mass Effect (Xbox 360) -- 473,000
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PlayStation 3) -- 444,000
8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) -- 426,000
9. Halo 3 (Xbox 360) -- 387,000
10. Assassin' s Creed (PlayStation 3) -- 377,000
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 14 Dec 07 12:21:03 >
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 13:31
Well, if I' m right, this takes into account the PS3 price drop. Of course I could be wrong, but it looks to me like there is no chance the PS3 is going to get out of 3rd place in hardware sales for this generation (in North America). We' ve got cross-platform titles like COD4 and Assassin' s Creed selling 3 to 4 times more units on the Xbox 360 than the PS3. The implications for 3rd party support for the next several years are plain to see. It' ll be harder to justify the investment in development with a last-place hardware base, and the situation will snowball to some extent, similarly to the last couple of Nintendo consoles, with fewer games making it less attractive to potential buyers.

MBA students will study what happened to Sony and where they went wrong in this transitional period for decades to come.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 13:37
Can I say " I told you so" yet?
< Message edited by locopuyo -- 14 Dec 07 5:37:53 >
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 14:51
The PS3 is pinned for long term success. Even if it remains in third place for now, it' s not a distant third. No console this generation has sold exceptionally well anyways (compared to last gen totals). The market is still mostly untapped. Due to higher prices a more accurate representation of final hardware sales will come later this gen as prices fall for the PS3. Even if PS3 is behind, the console is fine as long as it keeps selling. It' s only a matter of time before the PS3 surpasses the 360 in total sales.

Seriously how long will the Japs be entertained by their Wiis before they throw them in the trash?

I still say PS3 will be a late bloomer.

locopuyo
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 15:20
It better hurry, the winter frost is coming.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 18:22
Winter doesn' t start until Sony says so!

Majik
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 18:59
Sony has done just as well in their first year with PS3 as Microsoft did in their with 360... with a higher pricetag and far fewer games.

They' re trailing PS2 (in the same time frame) by a couple of million... but in the grand scheme of things they' re not doing terribly.

It' ll be interesting to see how GTA IV performs on both consoles...

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 14, 2007 20:22
Well there is a huge diffrence here,XBox sold around 25 million ex,while ps2 around 125.

Huge diffrent in terms of reputations/fanbase,playing it like 360 isnt good.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Majik
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 15, 2007 07:08
There will be no return to the halcyon days of gaming for Sony, ...and even 360 comes out ahead of PS3, it' ll never be a prosperous business for Microsoft.

No, Nintendo will take Sony' s place as the industry leader and leave the other two scrapping over the remains.

Personally i think Sony will overtake Microsoft in the next 12 months (maybe 18) and will go on to be relatively successful with PS3. Not in the realms of their Playstation and Playstation 2 successes, but they' ll hit 50-60 mil before they' re through with this generation. Like Agent said, PS3 is a late bloomer. Sony will cut the price again, and possibly release a PSthree next year, ...maybe when GTA IV launches. They did that when Vice City launched and the result was pretty staggering.

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 15, 2007 08:36
The Wii isn' t any different from the N64 or Game cube.

You buy a Wii for Nintendo games and that' s it. And nintendo games have always sold million even on their less sucesfull consoles.

The only difference now is that more hardware is being sold because non-gamers are buying them, but all the biggest selling titles will always be Nintendo games and non-games like Wiifit. They pretty much have two markets one for the old classics that always sell like mario, zelda, etc. and one for nongames that sell well because the nongamers buy them such as wii sports, wii fit, etc.

In the end they still can' t match the sheer variety and quantity of games available on 360/PS3.
< Message edited by emofag -- 15 Dec 07 0:40:44 >

Chimura
  • Total Posts : 1123
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 15, 2007 08:44
That' s what I' ve been preaching about PS3, that it has done just as well as Xbox 360 on its first year. And yes, like Ghost said, the PS3 will still be good in a good old five years, cause their hardware is more prepared for it. It really seems to me that Sony is gonna try and stick to their announced 10 year plan.

I think with the Wii and DS, Nintendo does have stuff covered pretty well and it' ll probably stay like so for a while to come, I don' t overrule the possibility of it being surpassed in sales, at least Wii wise, but it would take quite some work from Microsoft and Sony. I do think that Sony will overtake Microsoft eventually, the PS3 is finally getting some really good games, 08 looks more promising than 360' s and the hardware is just better overall, built thinking about the future.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 15, 2007 08:51

Winter doesn' t start until Sony says so!
Summer doesnt come until Nintendo says so

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 04:27

cause their hardware is more prepared for it.

Once again youre talking out of your ass. I can totally see where a cheap GPU is prepared for the future better than a custom one with built in EDRAM to handle aliasing etc.. The only thing going for the PSTriple is BluRay, and if that doesnt catch on soon, it wont matter. DVD will be the dominant video format for at least another 5-7 years, which will be near the end of the lifespan of the console.

Personally, I want to see both PS3 and 360 outsell the gay garbage that is the Wii.

BTW, anyone looking for a Wii, mine is on Ebay with RE4Wii Edition, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, and of course WiiSports. Keep in mind its NTSC(not sure if Nintendo went region free), Ebay link to the Wii
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 04:49
I' ll give you $150 for just the Wii.

Chimura
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 06:03

Once again youre talking out of your ass. I can totally see where a cheap GPU is prepared for the future better than a custom one with built in EDRAM to handle aliasing etc.. The only thing going for the PSTriple is BluRay, and if that doesnt catch on soon, it wont matter. DVD will be the dominant video format for at least another 5-7 years, which will be near the end of the lifespan of the console.

Note that this time I did not say " better" as in " better than..." , I said " better" as in " better prepared" . It is certainly more reliable than the 360.
< Message edited by chimura -- 15 Dec 07 22:05:19 >

locopuyo
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 08:20
It may be more reliable but it is still less prepared.

Majik
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 08:38
Well thought out, easy to develop for hardware means nothing.

PS2 was a bitch to code for initially.

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 09:15
Sony got loads of stuff right with PS2 - style, audience, advertising, previous success, lack of competition. Devs flocked, and 3rd party support made them.

This time audience and advertising are all wrong (still hate that ' this is living' shit), and they have stiffer competition. I was personally put off by Ken and his inflated initial claims, their plans to stuff BluRay down our throats, and then finally the price.

360 will be weak in the long run, but I' m yet to be convinced about PS3.

Chimura
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 16, 2007 09:21
Well, it will all come down to 2008, we' ll see if PS3 manages to convince people. Sony has started to correct some of the f*ck ups they did this year, and they seem to have a good bunch of games to back their stuff in 08. Like I say, I personally think Sony is gonna overtake Microsoft, but only time will tell.
< Message edited by chimura -- 16 Dec 07 1:23:03 >

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 03:29

Well thought out, easy to develop for hardware means nothing.

PS2 was a bitch to code for initially.

The reasons for the PS2s success were already stated by choupolo. The PS2 was a terrible console with great games. I have a PS2, I like my PS2 games, but the console itself is terrible. It was weak and it was hard to program for.

As choupolo said, 3rd party support propped up the PS2, but this time around it isnt there like it was. 3rd party games are increasingly muli-platform, with the 360 versions selling 4-5 times more units. Sony needed to be humbled, maybe it will make them realize what they did right with the PSone and what they did wrong with the 2 and 3.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 04:55
How is selling 105+ million consoles doing something wrong?

At launch:

PlayStation - $299
PlayStation 2 - $299
PlayStation 3 - $499/$599

At launch PS3 was $200/$300 more expensive than it' s predecessors and $100 more expensive than the already year old 360. Hell, PS2 didn' t really take off until the price was cut to $199.

PS2 was initally difficult to code for, but Sony put together improved dev-kits and toolsets and everybody adjusted. Middleware like Criterion' s Renderware (which was the UE3.0 of the previous generation) gave many 3rd party developers an easier time with the machine and after a couple of years the development problems had been forgotten.

PS3 has been called hard to code for and many (mosly 3rd party) games have suffered as a result. But we' re a year down the line and companies like Epic and Infinity Ward are proving that 3rd party' s can actually get great results from the hardware. Now that Epic have their multi-threaded renderer working on the console, UE3.0 licensee' s will benefit, meaning future Unreal Engine based games should be comparable to the 360 versions. It' s also worth noting that Ratchet & Clank and Drakes Fortune are both technically superior to 99% of what' s been released on 360.

In both cases there was an adjustment period, which is to be expected from a new generation of hardware.

PS2 launched with several much hyped games that turned out to be duds (The Bouncer anyone?) and the half decent games paled in comparision to 2nd generation Dreamcast games like Shenmue and Jet Set Radio. It wasn' t until late 2001 when Metal Gear Solid 2 and GTA 3 both launched that PS2 really came into it' s own.

Similarly, PS3' s first year has been plagued by inferior ports and superior competition, ...but we' re probably either at or approaching the point where that' s a non-issue. Quality flagship titles are starting to show up and next years PS3 lineup is stronger than 360' s.

As for 3rd party games themselves... PS2 benefitted from both the original Playstation' s success and the fact that Sega were struggling. Dreamcast was a fantastic console and developers loved it, ...but Sega had exhausted themselves financially with Saturn and weren' t deemed all that marketable, especially compared to Sony who had just stomped everybody and their mother in the previous generation.

PS3 will benefit from PS2' s success, but the people who made Sony' s first two consoles so successful aren' t the kind of consumer who pays $499/$599 for a videogames console. They' re the kind of consumer who is now making Wii so successful. Once sony drop the price closer to $199 we' ll see PS3' s monthly sales rise above 360' s.

The only thing Sony have screwed up this gen is their marketing campaign. I mean, it' s not much worse then Microsoft' s but it' s nothing like their previous campaigns. I expect them to get on top of it eventually but they should have had it all sorted for this holiday season.

To say PS3' s launch and first year on shelves has been uncannily reminiscent of PS2' s launch and first year on shelves would be an understatement - underwhelming software and technical teething probems etc... but look at PS2 now, it' s likely to remain the most successful games console for a long time, perhaps forever.

Once PS3 enters a more fecund stage, and there' s no reason to doubt that it will, we' ll forget the constant stream of bad press and watch Sony tear Microsoft a new asshole.

It' s funny how at $100 more expensive and with both fewer and inferior games PS3 has performed just as well, possily even better, than 360 did in it' s first year. I wouldn' t put money on Sony losing to Microsoft this generation. We' ve been here before.

Gaiden BLACK
  • Total Posts : 675
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 05:26
Interesting comments there Nitro.
Rest in PEACE Cetra and GANGSTA you guys will be missed..........

Chimura
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 05:32

It' s funny how at $100 more expensive and with both fewer and inferior games PS3 has performed just as well, possily even better, than 360 did in it' s first year. I wouldn' t put money on Sony losing to Microsoft this generation. We' ve been here before.

Once again, I' ve been preaching this for a long time. And just like 2001 had MGS2 and GTA3, 2008 already has MGS4, GTA4 (even when multi-platform, the success of it is going to be huge on both consoles, no matter which one is selling the most at the time) Add GT5, the new hype LBP (which even if it doesn' t generate Halo like millions, it is enough to get tons of people looking its way) is causing and maybe FFXIII (though this is yet to be seen and most likely will fall into 2009) plus all the other titles people are eagerly awaiting. However says PS3 has no good titles coming, then they are just really blinded by dumb fanboyism.

Like Nitro said, apart from their marketing campaign (and a few " I said this" yet do something else entirely) Sony has done considerably well for its first year. And the fact that the PS2 is the best-selling console of all time should tell everyone that says Sony dropped the ball from the PS-One to the PS2 and now PS3 otherwise. And for those who say PS3 is just to hard to develop for, I am sure developers are looking at what Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted have done with the hardware and will more than likely get more into the system. And it looks like Kojima with MGS4 and Square with FFXIII are going to be just the same, if not ten-times better, than what we have already seen from Naughty Dog and Insomniac. And both Konami and Square are third party. Though judging by CoD4 and UT3, and even some of EA' s latest (like FIFA 08 and the coming Burnout) the bad ports and multi-platforms seem to be steadily disappearing. DMC4 seems to be following on this path as well.

< Message edited by chimura -- 16 Dec 07 21:41:08 >

Nitro
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 07:30
If we' re only talking in terms of Sony vs Microsoft, next year is when the outcome will ultimately be decided. For 2006 and 2007, Microsoft ended up with many 3rd party games " exclusive" by default, purely because 360 hit the market a year earlier than the competition. When you take that into account, PS3 isn' t actually doing all that badly.

Also, we' ve only really seen a handful of games from notable Japanese studios. Games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Team ICO' s games etc... were all big players last gen for Sony. They' re the games that defined the console. Now, Capcoms games have gone multiplatform and Soul Calibur will be on 360, but Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and their ilk won' t.

I think Sony' s lineup for next year is far stronger than Microsoft' s, and as long as their 3rd party games are on par, i can' t see them coming off anywhere near as badly as they have this year.

I think the main thing Sony need to do is move hardware in Japan. 360' s dead in the water so their only competition is Wii and i think that once games like GT5, Metal Gear 4 and Tekken 6 are released we' ll see some serious movement there. It' s a huge market too so even if they performed worse than Microsoft in Europe, Japan could make up for it.

It' ll be interesting to see how everybody does in December. PS3 did 466,000 in the US in November which isn' t brilliant, but isn' t damning either. Sony will probably do a mil worldwide for the month which given the circumstances is pretty respectable. It' ll be higher in December and they' ll probably have a good January too, so March - May (Spring) will be really important and Sony will be pushing to get games out.

Microsoft have done a lot of things right, but their exclusive software isn' t really pushing hardware sales like it should be. BioShock, Halo 3 and Mass Effect were arguably their biggest releases of the year and yet Wii has still trounced them lending credence to the increasingly commonly held belief that the ' Halo' consumer already owned the console. Microsoft have chiseled their corner of the market and are now going to struggle to expand on it. The industry isn' t fuelled by sci-fi shooters featuring bald space-marines. If it was, 360 would kill everything... ever.

I don' t even see 3rd party game sales on PS3 being an issue. By this time next year the picture will look very different and i fully expect most PS3 versions to be selling comparably to the 360 versions. I think the current install base is hindering software perforance and when that increases, so will the sales figures. Though i do think it will take another price cut for that to happen.

< Message edited by nitro -- 16 Dec 07 23:31:11 >

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 08:54
I really look forward to reading your post Nitro. I know your getting into the game industries cant wait to hear your name some where. If you do make a game make a great one.

Oh yeah do you think you could fit me in some where in the story line. It doesn' t hurt to ask. I can see myself playing a black super hero like the Black Superman with BM on my chest. Black Man is what we could call him.

Not with these colors of course but here is an Ideal. I am not that fat but who cares.

Chimura
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 09:02

I am not that fat but who cares.

That' s what we all say

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 10:40
I think that Black Man character should be somewhere in ALL games. Kind of a universal easter egg. I found Black Man!

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 12:11
No it should be a jew. lol

mikayd2
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 12:39

I think that Black Man character should be somewhere in ALL games. Kind of a universal easter egg. I found Black Man!

Hell yeah I like that ideal . Picture Black Man kicking Dante ass in DMC5 Yeah I can see that.

No it should be a jew. lol

He can be jew in the day and Black Man in the night.

Chimura
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 17, 2007 14:09

Hell yeah I like that ideal . Picture Black Man kicking Dante ass in DMC5 Yeah I can see that.

Dante sure needs a humbling. And Black Man owning him would be very satisfying

mikayd2
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 18, 2007 01:24

Dante sure needs a humbling. And Black Man owning him would be very satisfying

Yep lets hope Nitro will take our ideals in.

Jew at Day Black Man at Night.
< Message edited by mikayd2 -- 17 Dec 07 17:25:07 >

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 18, 2007 02:45
As usual nitro hits the nail on the head . But i would just like to say that ps2 didnt have any real competitors , ps3 has two of them . I don' t think the 360 is going to fade away . As nitro said , 3rd party support for the ps2 was awesome . That was because i dont think they had any other choice . Xbox wasnt a great success and i dont think we need to mention the gamecube at all . I dont think it matters if the sales of multi-platform games are more on the 360 because of the head start that it had , in the end what matters is the sales are more and we are talking about 2-3x more . I feel this generation is going to see a more spread out market share than any of the previous generations . Its all good for us gamers in the end

DieHounderdoggen
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 18, 2007 08:00
My (rather amateur) predictions:

PS3 will eventually come into it' s own, though potentially hobbled by lack of blu-ray support. Like it' s predecessor, software exclusivity will be key (second only to price drops). Unlike it' s predecessor, the PS3 could be technologically superior to the 360, but let' s face it, any verdict on that front is completely subjective throughout most of the pundits on the industry. Final: Has the capability to surpass other systems, given a year or two.

Xbox-360 will remain constant, with or without HD-DVD supremacy. It' s cheaper than the PS3 and has a library of exclusives of it' s own, and the buttress of Xbox Live will probably keep it afloat. Final: Will probably falter slightly, but will remain popular.

The Wii, could decrease in popularity significantly within the next year. The challenge will be to create entertaining content consistently without it seeming overdone, to make up for technical shortcomings. Final: Could decrease in popularity significantly. Keep an eye on software (As usual).

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 18, 2007 08:19
Nitro, I tend not to read long posts, But I' d read your book if you wrote one. You usually sum up everything I think in a few paragraphs which is great, I' m way too lazy for that though...
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

mikayd2
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 18, 2007 10:59

Nitro, I tend not to read long posts, But I' d read your book if you wrote one.

Same Here

Nitro
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 18, 2007 17:29
*blushes*

mikayd2
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 19, 2007 01:48
So What' s up on my game ideal. Don' t say no and then 5 years later I see a game with your name on it starting Black Man . Thats called breaking the law.

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 19, 2007 02:17
I personally feel that M$ could be playing catchup in 2008. Most people who purchased the 360 were doing it to ' Finish the fight' . Next year I don' t see anything that is exclusive or that big coming to the 360. I fear and it is a big fear that the PS3 will start it' s resurgence. The fear is that if the 360 does have a bad year then M$ may farm out the ' 720' to Tosh and take a back seat.

Although this is an old story, this could be the future.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/22/toshiba_xbox_hddvd/
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 18 Dec 07 18:18:09 >

Chimura
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 19, 2007 03:16
Who knows, but if what Nitro found about Gears 2 for November 08 turns out to be true, then the Xbox has a pretty big game there. Though if PS3 does as well as I am predicting, one big exclusive is not gonna overtake the PS3 armada.

Other than Gears 2 (if it does come out), I only see Ninja Gaiden 2 as the biggest exclusive the 360 has next year. People say Halo Wars, but that is only being carried by the Halo name, just like any Final Fantasy spin-off being carried by the big double F. I am not saying at all that it is gonna be a bad game, and we all know it' ll probably sell tons, but mostly due to the reason I already stated.

As far as Too Human, well, with all of the UE3 fiasco and development problems, it could turn out to be the next Lair. Though that is pretty early to call as well.
< Message edited by chimura -- 18 Dec 07 19:16:42 >

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
RE: Npd figures out! - Dec 19, 2007 03:46
Alan Wake , Fable 2 , Banjoo Thriee ?? The supposed Perfect dark and blue dragon sequel ?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 42