Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality"
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 52 of 52
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 29, 2007 21:33
SLi? You seriously think 2 $3000 graphics cards are really a good idea? Can you say heat issues.

Anyway, Ive been wanting a high-end rig for a while, does anyone know how to get an Alienware case without buying an Alienware computer? Theres something about that Black and Purple.....
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 10:57

Can you say heat issues.

You don' t know what you' re talking about.

Anyway, Ive been wanting a high-end rig for a while, does anyone know how to get an Alienware case without buying an Alienware computer? Theres something about that Black and Purple.....

Yeah i like their cases too. Alienware doesn' t want to sell them individually for obvious reason but you can probably find some in good condition on Ebay.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 30 Nov 07 2:59:45 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 11:28
I apparently dont, I just assumed 2 high end cards like that would require a lot of cooling.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 11:33
Alienware did sell their cases separately for a while over the summer. It was a limited time thing though.
Agent Ghost

RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 11:57

Alienware did sell their cases separately for a while over the summer. It was a limited time thing though.

*** How did I miss that!?

I apparently dont, I just assumed 2 high end cards like that would require a lot of cooling.

Well two cards obvioulsy would create more heat. However the fact that it' s a 3000$ cards is not significant. It' s not expensive because it has some uber chip inside, I think it' s similar to a 7900GTX. It' s expensive because it has features that gaming videocards do not have. It' s a workstation card.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 30 Nov 07 4:03:31 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 12:56
no, it is uber powerful, runs circles around the 8800.
Agent Ghost

RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 13:39
Not with playing games.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Nov 30, 2007 21:17
We have used high end Quadro' s here since I started teaching, people always get carried away bout the tech specs - its basically important to remember that Quadro' s are effectively re-tooled gaming cards with the correct instruction sets for incredibly demanding 3D Maya / Max work.

Yeah, some people hack them to get them running the GeForce drivers - but actually you are paying for the retooling of the card as much as the little bit extra hardware. This is the first generation where the cards are actually slightly ahead of the games level ones - normally they use the current gen GPU' s from the last gen.

Fantastic cards for Maya work tho, untouchable for the price performance wise.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Dec 03, 2007 21:32

next gen consoles will leave the PC' s that will be released in 5 years to dust

ROFL. I' ll be suprized if Next gen Consles have the power of the PC i' ll be upgrading to Next year, never mind PC' s in five years time.

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 3 Dec 07 13:35:30 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Dec 03, 2007 21:46

ROFL. I' ll be suprized if Next gen Consles have the power of the PC i' ll be upgrading to Next year, never mind PC' s in five years time.

Consoles pretty much set the standard for graphics, there are some high end stuff for the PC, but most will look like ther conosole brothers!
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Dec 03, 2007 22:07
Already talk of Crysis 2? They sure don' t waste any time these days :P

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Games with pre-rendered backgrounds and highly detailed characters were photo-realistic-ish the past generation (Resident Evil 1 remake GCN).
They could probably take it to another level this generation.
But I seriously can' t see the payoff in creating perfect photo realistic videogames when you can be totally immersed on a game that only has a 1/10000 of detail compared to photo realism.

RE looked very good indeed. To be honest, I don' t care if it' s pre-rendered or not then. As long as it fits the type of game.

But I' m also someone who doesn' t really care that much about how photo realistic it is in the end. The director for Zelda once said that many people got more immersed in Zelda The Windwaker than other realistic looking games at the time. He said it was because of the animation in the game and the way the world is built. He himself thinks that those are almost more important than the graphics only. He claimed that people tend to forget about the graphical style when they' re really into something. I don' t know if he' s totally right but I think that he has a point.

Oblivion was one of those games that I liked, but just couldn' t get into totally. The faces looked very good, but weird in a way. And there were too few voice actors which of course made it less a " real world" . Many of those characters were too much alike physically too. The AI was also doing stupid things with a bunch of people walking into walls, horses that flew in the air when they walked into some store sign etc. And the animation was weak. While playing it got me thinking of Shenmue, another " living breathing world" . The graphics aren' t on the level of Oblivion but the way the game is put together with all the voice acting, animation, many different characters with own lives etc made it more coherent and alive. For me at least. Ocarina of Time is another game that' s even from a generation before and it can still make me more immersed than many newer games. So I suspect that graphics alone won' t do the trick in their quest for realism.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Crysis 2 - " near photorealistic movie quality" - Dec 03, 2007 22:22

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

next gen consoles will leave the PC' s that will be released in 5 years to dust

ROFL play something besides Wii.
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 52 of 52

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread