8800 GT kicks fucking ass !!

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
  • Reward points : 0
8800 GT kicks fucking ass !! - Oct 24, 2007 08:08
This card is so great , for its supposed price 250-300, it' s a steal, it' s very close to the GTX performance but at half the price, it' s directx10 ( NO 10.1) , 256 bits, but 112 SP and clocked much higher than the 8800 GTS, although the GTS is a 320 bit card..

Most benchmarks show that 8800 GT is between the 8800 GTS and GTX which is amazing, what' s even better is that the power consumption is even lower (65 nm die).

My only concerne would be that the card is PCI express 2.0, is this also compatible with PCI express 1.0 ? if it isn' t , too bad i' m not going to change my shiny motherboard...

the card is really great, we' ll see what ATI has on its sleeves, their next generation card (55 nm only and direct x 10.1 !) will launch mid november.

Source:

yes it' s a Chinese website, but it' s seems ligit, it' s very professional, very detailed and the card is to be released in a couple of weeks...
Listen to the wise

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: 8800 GT kicks ***ing ass !! - Oct 24, 2007 11:12
Was Uncle Ghost right, or was he right?

Yes they are backwards and fowards compatible. Which means 2.0 videocards will work on 1.0 slots and, and 1.0 videocards will work on 2.0 slots. Eventually we' ll see high end cards require the 2.0 slot, obviously that' s not the case yet. The only difference is that PCI-E 2.0 has more power output (I think 150watts vs. 75watts), so I' m guessing that with the 1.0 slot we' ll have to use the extra power cable input. In other words there should be no problem.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
  • Reward points : 0
RE: 8800 GT kicks ***ing ass !! - Oct 24, 2007 15:17
Don' t let DX10.1 compatibility sway you. We have not even got proper DX10 games yet (just DX9 games with DX10 fluff). By the time we see proper DX10 games that take advantage of 10.1, the RV670 will be trash.

On the whole I' m disappointed with AMD' s offering and the R600. It' s such a poor performer that it reminds me of Nvidia' s fuck up with the FX series. It would be a decent card if they hadn' t gone all superscalar (reaching peak performance in a superscalar architecture is very rare) and decided to go with shader based AA resolves (which rapes the performance of the card when it' s enabled). Their drivers also suck ass.

Don' t expect AMD to match Nvidia until the next architectures roll around (R700, etc).