Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Buying a new desktop, want some advice...
Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 101 to 108 of 108
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 13, 2008 17:51
I know, but the ATI stuff still goes down in Canada.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 06:01

I know, but the ATI stuff still goes down in Canada.

Your mom goes down in Canada.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 06:07

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

You can even use NVidia scaling and have black bars for resolutions that don' t match. For intsance you can play starcraft (640x480 fixed resolution) on a widescreen monitor and have black bars on the left and right so it isn' t stretched out and distorted.

Explain.
Agent Ghost

RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 06:14
He' s talking about 1:1 pixel mapping. For example if you have a 1920x1200 screen and you play an ancient game that only runs at a ghetto resolution like SC. You wouldn' t want a 640x480 image stretched to fit 1920x1200, you want a TV that has something called 1:1 pixel mapping, so you have the black bars around the image.

Loco you should have known better before buying a HD TV without that feature. I can see why it' s a nice feature to have in a videocard though.

Blaming ATI for not having 1:1 pixel mapping is like blaming a street pole for not having an air bag after you crash into it.
< Message edited by agent ghost -- 13 May 08 22:20:04 >
locopuyo

RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 08:58
On new NVidia cards they have both 1:1, scaled with fixed aspect ratio, regular non-fixed scaling, or you can just let your display handle it on it' s own.

HDTV' s don' t use overscan. Only ancient CRTs use overscan. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to use overscan for HDTV DVI out is a complete moron. Do you know what overscan is? It' s where the image gets bigger or smaller depending on the brightness of the image because of crappy CRT tubes. And it isn' t consistent from one CRT to the next. It' s like they expect you to be using a tv from 1986 with DVI inputs. WTF were they thinking?

I' m not saying ATI sux for not having these features, I' m saying NVidia rox for having them. ATI needs to get the basic crap working. Last time I checked they dont' even have mobile drivers for Vista. Their hardware is generally good, but their software side is lacking.
Agent Ghost

RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 09:21
I wouldn' t know, I never owned an ATI card. I' ve read that their new drivers brought a lot of improvements though.
locopuyo

RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 10:54
They have improved a ton. They still kinda suck though.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Buying a new desktop, want some advice... - May 14, 2008 14:49
Both have their pros and cons. Good thing about ATI is that they' re consistent with driver releases (every month) and their stability is (from what I' ve experienced) better than Nvidia. Problems pertaining to applications tend to get fixed quickly. Nvidia are content to mill around with their heads shoved up their asses for a while before they even realise that there' s a problem.

The one incredibly annoying thing for me is that ATI drivers don' t have automatic per application settings for AA/AF and stuff. You have to make these retarded shortcuts or use a 3rd party application. Nvidia drivers automatically know when a certain exe is run and apply the settings for it on the fly. Why ATI hasn' t implemented something so stupidly simple and desirable is beyond me.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 14 May 08 14:21:37 >
Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 101 to 108 of 108

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread