Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 MS letting Bungie go?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 45
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 04:58
MS wouldnt pull out now, although the conspiratorial post by Nitro certainly made me smile and rings true in a great many resepects. Certainly from the academic point of view I have never seen a company push so hard with getting the XNA tools into the hands of the students. I would imagine this is more of a cost reduction excercise - I think that MS perhaps sees that the costs put into halo 3 are worth it to drive hardware. Mind you the more that people talk about MS and Halo and Bungie, the more people are going to drive interest in the brand and products. They are only just getting to the sweet spot - cost reduced hardware with a large back catologue with MS having profit on horizon for the first time in years in this division! Mind you, shane kim was kinda guarded about potential profits - perhaps there is a bigger acquisition in the works and the " bungie" ip is worth more elsewhere..
< Message edited by ikashiru -- 2 Oct 07 21:02:27 >
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 05:07

man since when any company' s accomplishment is to " slow down" the competition, if they leave now, MS would not have accomplished anything business/commercial wise.. i never expected Sega to drop out of the console manfucaturing , yet it did, MS has itw own trouble as well but i really hope they succeed..

Go and read what Nitro posted regarding this above. You will see that it makes sense that MS only wanted to slow them down, and when I say that they wanted to slow them down I am in no way referring to gaming consoles. Eventually somewhere down the road Sony would get involved in MS world. Computer software. And with MS getting in the console race, they were in essence able to slow the Sony machine down. How much money has Sony now lost on the PS3?
Mass X

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 05:19
BTW didnt Bungie just aquire a new lead designer from Redstorm or somthing? Don' t know if this can relate in anyway.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 05:55
LINK

Looks like this is the real deal after all.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 05:58
Wow I hope ms stays in Sony need more competition. We need to keep the battle going.
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:16
i am gonna miss MS so much, they have brought so much to the game industry.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:20
Well that sucks to be them. They need to worry about goolge not sony. Those Google guys are making some big money.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:22
hey wait WHY did Peter Moore leave?
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:39
Cause he wanted to go closer to his family.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:43

ORIGINAL: Evilkiller

Cause he wanted to go closer to his family.

really are you sure????? about that.....
Evilkiller

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:44
That' s what he said.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:52
rofl
Gaiden BLACK

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:54
I am sure he left because he knew something big was gonna happen.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 06:59
Jumping a sinking ship.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 07:10

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Jumping a sinking ship.

Yup hes not as dumb as he looks i guess. But still there' s something about this whole thing which doesn' t seem right to me.

Well as long as i see MASS EFFECT on my desk come November i couldn' t care less.
< Message edited by Gaiden Black -- 2 Oct 07 23:11:52 >
Mass X

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 07:33
Wait so you guys are saying that because bungie is leaving it means MS cant function properly in the game world?

Isnt that like saying when Nintendo lost Rare they became obsolete...but from what I see they certainly are managing well....

Thats one helluva jump to conclusion aint it?

I think it just makes room for some other company to come sleep in MS bed now.

Either way the facts will come soon enough.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 07:40
I know it seems too early to say anything but NITRO' s theory has opened my eyes to a lot of things which before i wasn' t really taking any notice of.

I mean HALO wont seem the same if Bungie aren' t doing it, but then again it could come out even better if some else does. hmmm i kinda like those prospects.

< Message edited by Gaiden Black -- 2 Oct 07 23:41:51 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 08:04
Microsoft won' t actually pull out, i was being 100% theoretical.

Bungie likely want independance, much like how Jaffe (creator of Twisted Metal and God of War) left Sony on good terms. Microsoft will keep the rights to the Halo franchise and will get some other studio to develop Halo 4. Bungie will obviously be able to develop for whoever they choose but i' d be surprised if Microsoft didn' t include a claus in the agreement whereby they get first refusal for any new next-gen IP' s.

Microsoft didn' t buy Bizarre Creations because a) they own the PGR license and b) they regret their $375 million buyout of Rare (money that ironically will have funded Nintendo' s R&D for Wii...)

However, Microsoft has lost more than 6 billion dollars in the past 5 years, almsot exclusively through their entertainment division. Microsoft is a rich company but no shareholder or investor or bank could take 6 billion lightly. Their 1 billion dollar loss because of bad hardware design will have pissed off a lot of influential people within Microsoft and their Xbox division will never actually make any money. But meh, they' re not finished with Sony yet.

And Peter Moore left Microsoft to take a better paid job at EA. He' s probably didn' t want any more tattoos either...
Evilkiller

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 08:13
Depending on how much cost reduction Microsoft got by switching to 65nm chips they could actually see a profit this financial year. You shouldn' t forget that the 1$bn loss was for last financial year.

Anyway, I don' t really see Microsoft pulling out, either. They are the leader after all. It looks more like giving Bungie some space to breathe, but still keeping their hands on anything Bungie develops with this first-rights stipulation.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 45

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message