Uncharted gameplay...

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 20, 2007 17:32

3 x 3

This is PS3' s Gears of War. A bold statement to be sure but the games obvious quality and massive promise certainly make it seem that way.

2007 goes to Microsoft. 2008 could easily go to Sony.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 20, 2007 18:18
I really can' t understand why people are interested in this game.
It looks really, really boring and while it might look good from a technical point of view (?) I really don' t think the art direction is appealing at all.

The gameplay when you' re taking cover and firing and the layout of the environment reminds me of Gears, a little too much sometimes.
But it doesn' t have the same badass attitude that Gears had. So what' s the point of this game? .... pfeh!
And I still think the much talked about animations look like crap.
Wii DSLite
Nintendo
Playing = Believing

ginjirou
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 20, 2007 18:25
Oh wait, it' s on the PS3? I thought it was for the 360...

Forget what I said earlier, the game rocks! It' s like ten times better than Gears.
Gears was just mindless runts running aroung gunning down monsters with no story at all.

This game has improved the gameplay, has better graphics and has added story and deeper characters.
Wii DSLite
Nintendo
Playing = Believing

Nitro
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 20, 2007 18:47
Well the art direction is completely different to Gears. I' d say this is more Tomb Raider or even Flashback (without the sci-fi) than anything else. I guess you could say it' s lacking and looks more generic than a game like Gears of war or Assassins Creed but i can see and like what they' re doing with it.

I actually really like the animations they have in place. If you mistime a jump the character stumbles. If guns are being fired at him, he recoils. If a bullet ricochets off the wall next to him, he flinches. The runcycle could be better but everything else seems to be well implimented. The facial animations look almost as good as those in Heavenly Sword.

I' m not all that keen on the close aim method they' re using. The angle looks odd, ...but i guess they' re trying to distance themselves from games like GRAW and Gears where the camera goes in right over the shoulder.

The other thing i like the look of is the AI. They seem to take cover convincingly, observing your movements and changing their strategy accordingly.

Graphically the game has the best textures i' ve seen in a PS3 game so far, decent physics, excellent lighting, water effects and some nice subtle depth of field.

There' s a lot of stuff they need tweak, alter and clean but i think it' s shaping up nicely.

ginjirou
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 20, 2007 18:52
Perhaps, but despite all the good things it has going for it the most important part is missing for me: The fun.

It looks boring. [:' (]
Wii DSLite
Nintendo
Playing = Believing

KongRudi
  • Total Posts : 220
  • Reward points : 8255
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 21, 2007 12:34

This is PS3' s Gears of War. A bold statement to be sure but the games obvious quality and massive promise certainly make it seem that way.

No, I dobn' t think this is PS3-gears.. If it will be a PS3-gears-look-a-like it will be Unreal Tournament.
Afterall that' s the same engine wich is getting it' s own PS3 overhaul like Epic did with 360 and Gears.

I' m not saying that this looks any worse than Gears, however this is Naughty dogs self-built engine and it looks like it has alot of different requirements than is usual with the Unreal engine, with the plattforming, puzzle-elements and similar.

It' s not that long until most of the games will look like Gears and better, now when more and more engines get texture-streaming and data-streaming aswell on PS3, afterall that' s how it were designed to be used. :)
< Message edited by Kongrudi -- 21 Sep 07 4:34:49 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 21, 2007 13:08

No, I dobn' t think this is PS3-gears.. If it will be a PS3-gears-look-a-like it will be Unreal Tournament.

Except the 360 is also getting UT 3.

2007 goes to Microsoft. 2008 could easily go to Sony.

I can see that happening, one things for sure is that 2008 will be a lot more interesting.

Nitro
RE: Uncharted gameplay... - Sep 21, 2007 16:29

ORIGINAL: KongRudi

Afterall that' s the same engine wich is getting it' s own PS3 overhaul like Epic did with 360 and Gears.

You misunderstood.

I' m not talking about the game graphically, i' m talking about it being a big new IP exclusive to the platform that should be able to push sales. It' s as important as Gears of War was to 360.