Next wave of iPods.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 44
Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Next wave of iPods. - Sep 06, 2007 06:21
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Announces+New+iPods/article8751.htm

-Take the phone out of the iPhone and you have the new flagship iPods (iPod Touch). Sweet.
-The iPod video becomes classic iPod, it sports a thinner design higher battery life along with higher hard disc space.
-iPod nano gets a small screen suppoprting video.
-iPod shuffle returns more or less unchanged.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 06, 2007 07:26
glad to hear about the ipod Touch, wont get one yet, but whenever I need another mp3 player I am sure this toy will do.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 06, 2007 20:41
Ordered my iPod Touch. Should be available on the 28th...

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 06, 2007 20:43
I' m glad we dont have to get the iphone now.

Evilkiller
  • Total Posts : 660
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 06, 2007 21:04
And I am glad Creative is still around.

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 07, 2007 13:14
Why am I the only one who thinks the iPod touch is complete ass? It' s supposed to be used as a multimedia device, particularly video because of its badass screen. Yet it comes with only 16GB at the largest? When dealing with any sort of video media, having such a limited space is inherently stupid.

I realise that the limited space is because they' re using flash based memory, but it doesn' t change the fact that for a portable video device, the iPod Touch sucks ass.

Agent Ghost
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 07, 2007 13:18
It' s because they want to release the uber iPod Touch in a few months with 32GB and a 100$ price hike.

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 07, 2007 16:34
I don' t understand why loads of people get so warm and fuzzy about apple and its products as if they are some sort of groovy hip company. They' re money grabbing monopolistic sleazeballs like the rest of them.

I deliberately didn' t get an ipod just because I didn' t want to buy into their ' standards' .

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 07, 2007 21:42
Can the Ipod Touch/Iphone connect to wifi and steam videos off your harddrive or anything?

nekkid_monkey
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 1280
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 08, 2007 00:19

ORIGINAL: Ornodeal

I don' t understand why loads of people get so warm and fuzzy about apple and its products as if they are some sort of groovy hip company.

Because they are right now. They have been for a while now. Sales, popularity and marketshare prove it.

They' re money grabbing monopolistic sleazeballs like the rest of them.

Just like all those evil companies who insist on making a profit. How dare they?!!

I deliberately didn' t get an ipod just because I didn' t want to buy into their ' standards' .

I' m willing to be Apple doesn' t care.

The only thing that annoys me more than people who treat things like iPods and cellphones like fashion statements and social rites of passage are those who refuse to buy them out of some silly sense of rebellion. It' s a MP3 player. That' s it. Nothing profound or life defining behind it.

That said, the touch screen is pretty sweet. Wayyyy over-priced for what it does though, like most iPods. Still, it' s nice.

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 08, 2007 04:07
Apples design is nice, but the Hardware and the way we use it needs to revised.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 08, 2007 16:04
Buying a flashing dildo would be less gay.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 08, 2007 21:55
Apple' s design sucks. Seriously, american design is rarely good compared to japanese or european design.
But when things get popular in America the rest of the world just goes with the flow, no matter how crappy the product is.
Wii DSLite
Nintendo
Playing = Believing

Ornodeal
  • Total Posts : 645
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 00:59

The only thing that annoys me more than people who treat things like iPods and cellphones like fashion statements and social rites of passage are those who refuse to buy them out of some silly sense of rebellion. It' s a MP3 player. That' s it. Nothing profound or life defining behind it.

You said it, its just an MP3 player, why buy it as a fashion statement when it doesn' t do what I want for the price I want?

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 03:10
Isnt the Zune supposed to be getting other models as well? I was thinking I read something about an 80GB zune and an 8GB zune

nekkid_monkey
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 08:13

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 13:35
Im sure they' ll happen. And it' ll probably get changed to a 160GB zune to compete with the Ipod Classic

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 16:24
I think a higher precentage of iPods break than xbox 360s.

But no iPod buyers complain because they' re all zombies.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Agent Ghost
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 16:34

I think a higher precentage of iPods break than xbox 360s.

I seriously doubt that. 360' s are 100% defective. They all die, it' s just a matter of time. I' ve had 2 iPods, never had any hardware issues.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 09, 2007 23:10
The batteries have big issues on iPods, and I don' t give a rats arse whether they said they' ve rectified the issue. They haven' t.

16GB iPod Touch - $399

160GB iPod Classic - $349

Price per DRM-raped song - $1

50 USD worth of crappy gimmicks? - Priceless

Agent Ghost
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 10, 2007 01:57
Yeah the none user replacable betteries makes no sense. Makes me want to back hand Steve Jobs.

I guess when the bettery in my iPod Video dies I have an excuse to buy an iPod touch. Damn you Apple.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 9 Sep 07 17:58:12 >

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 10, 2007 02:08
The way Apple and too an lesser extent the Nintendos Wii work make' s me angry.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 9 Sep 07 18:08:15 >

nekkid_monkey
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 10, 2007 14:11
Ok, I just watched a commercial advertising iPod nano w/ video.

Who the hell wants this device?? I' ve only seen it on the commercial, but from what I could see the damn screen on the thing was barely wider than a person' s finger. What the hell is the point of making a screen so small you can' t actually see anything on it? Seriously, anyone watching this thing in public is going to look retarded.

It' s probably still going to sell in droves though.

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 11, 2007 02:44
I LOVE my Archos 404 Music+Video player. Until Apple releases ipods that support as many video formats as my Archos 404 player (.vob, .wmv, .mpeg, .avi) I won' t be tempted away. I mean I don' t even have to convert DVD movies to another format, I can just drag and drop the .vob files from the DVDs to the device and it' ll play them!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 10 Sep 07 18:46:29 >
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 11, 2007 07:08
I can never understand people who buy Ipod Videos. People listen to music not watch Videos on the bus..

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 13, 2007 05:08

I LOVE my Archos 404 Music+Video player. Until Apple releases ipods that support as many video formats as my Archos 404 player (.vob, .wmv, .mpeg, .avi) I won' t be tempted away. I mean I don' t even have to convert DVD movies to another format, I can just drag and drop the .vob files from the DVDs to the device and it' ll play them!

I looked it up on a whim...

I' m in love.

Terry Bogard
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 13, 2007 05:46
It' s a great little device! I think they' re currently up to the 704 model which has a variety of nifty features, I only went with the older 404 model just to get my feet wet and see whether I' d want to invest in the more current and more expensive models.

Don' t get me wrong, despite my high praises the unit I have does have its problems (freezes once in a while and there have been those rare moments when there' s no sound whatsoever so I have to reboot the unit and then all is well). Fortunately the firmware is upgradeable so some of those issues can get addressed. Perhaps the newer models are less problematic in those areas.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 13, 2007 06:49
Yeah, I saw one of the 30GB refurbs on their site for a buck 99. Santa Claus might treat me to one of those babies this year.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 12 Sep 07 22:49:31 >

Nitro
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 13, 2007 07:23
Funny you should mentio this range Terry; i' m planning on getting a 705 WiFi when it' s released here in December. The 605 is out now but i' m holding off for the 7" screen.

Evilkiller
  • Total Posts : 660
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 17, 2007 23:57
News Flash: The new wave of Ipods just got EVEN SHITTIER!

If you are using Linux? You can' t make use of the new Ipods. If you refuse to install Itunes? You can' t use them, either. Apple decided to block out all kind of third party applications from writing on their Ipods.

Chickapoo88
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 30, 2007 10:46
Personally I would go with one of the 80 gb Classics because the Nano' s are pretty cool but for only $50 more you get 10x the space and that is so worth it.

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Sep 30, 2007 23:35
but i hate the big ipods/mp3 players that hold anything over 20gb becuase they are too big for an mp3 player in your pocket. I have an 8gb ipod nano. I dont like the look of the new nanos at all.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 30 Sep 07 15:35:33 >

Nitro
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 01, 2007 00:46
They sold out of iPod Touches in the Apple Store where i live so i ordered one online. I should have it on Wed.

Silentbomber
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 01, 2007 01:08
make sure to post impressions, People think I am stupid for thinking about getting a touch [the 8gb model] while I have the excat same thing basicly [which is smaller and more likely has a better battery]

But it is so cool!

Chickapoo88
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 01, 2007 04:08
Yeah, I' ve had customers complaining about that. I prefer my 4gb green nano that I got last year. It is perfect and I like the small size like you sad.

Terry Bogard
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 01, 2007 04:50

I can never understand people who buy Ipod Videos. People listen to music not watch Videos on the bus..

You' d be surprised as to the amount of people in New York City that I' ve seen watching movies while riding the express bus, subway, Ferry and train. Some using the PSP, some with their laptops, and others with portable media playing devices (Ipod video, etc.). I suppose one factor is the distance of their destination. Another belief is that I think society has embraced the idea of portable movies more than they did in the past. Just the other day my cab driver made me a little nervous cause that sumbitch had a portable DVD player up against the car radio playing a movie while he was driving, AND he would occasionally look down at the screen while driving. Thankfully it was at night and traffic wasn' t really a concern.

Funny you should mentio this range Terry; i' m planning on getting a 705 WiFi when it' s released here in December. The 605 is out now but i' m holding off for the 7" screen.

I' ll eventually research the 704 and 705 to see what the differences are but so far I am very much tempted by both units. The options available in the Archos players were just way too hard for me to pass up. In the end when it came down to two units; Creative' s Zen Vision W and the Archos 404 player, the Archos unit won out because it supported more video formats, which is the biggest selling point to me in any media playing device; which unit supports the most audio and video formats - which means LESS work for me (don' t have to spend time converting a bunch of formats). Now granted, the support for DVD files (.vob) wasn' t available out of the box for the 404 unit and I had to download and install it for a small fee but at least the option was there and I was more than happy to take advantage of it as it has been a time saver. My only wish is that I wish these video units would support older Windows Media video files. They all seem to be limited to Windows media video 9 created files and won' t play any Windows media video 7 and 8 videos.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 30 Sep 07 21:00:11 >

Nitro
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 04, 2007 17:40

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

make sure to post impressions, People think I am stupid for thinking about getting a touch [the 8gb model] while I have the excat same thing basicly [which is smaller and more likely has a better battery]

But it is so cool!

It arrived yesterday and i' ve only had time to sync my files and play about with the web browser, but it' s every bit as cool as i expected. I' d heard that the text entry could be cumbersome, but i' m finding it smooth like butter! I don' t have giant fat fingers so obviously that helps, but even so, i' m finding myself typing faster than i can enter text with my phone. The self correcting display is sweet when transitioning between horizontal and vertical and vice versa. The screen is just sensitive enough, the controls are intuitive and it looks gorgeous. I' ll post impressions of video playback at some point tonight, probably comparing it to PSP.

What i will say right nbow though is that if you are in the market for an iPod and you don' t need 160GB' s worth of storage then this is probably ther best option for the money, ...unless you simply want somthing with t small form factor, in which case just get a Nano.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 06, 2007 04:00
Lemme know if smudging becomes really noticeable, I don' t know anybody else at the moment who has one, and I want to know if it' s an issue.

Also, because they' re using glass, scratches shouldn' t be a big deal, I know. But, let me know if you get anything distracting beyond regular wear & tear.

Agent Ghost
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 14, 2007 09:24
Majik. Pictures/review please.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Nitro
RE: Next wave of iPods. - Oct 16, 2007 07:40
Sorry this took so long. I' ve been busy with life and stuff...

Starting at a random point...

Holding the power button will turn it off, but pressing it will switch it to standby. If you press the home button or power button while it' s in standby mode you' ll be greeted with the following self explanatory screen - minus the photo of me in China ofcourse.

Unlocking the unit will take you to the main menu which again is pretty self explanatory. The only buttons on the iPod Touch are the power button in the top left and the Home button - everything else is 100% touch screen. The main menu is admittedly bare with many modules found in the iPhone missing, but i' m guessing new features will be added or made purchasable further down the line.

It' s an iPod and so will be used primarily to listen to music. It' s annoying that there' s not quick way to change tracks without unlocking the phone - external controls on the earphones would have been welcome but they don' t appear to even be supported nevermind supplied. Like with other iPods you can view your tracks several different ways.

And like with other iPods it has the usual extras.

The limited storage capacity means that i' ll be constantly switching and changing the media i' m carrying around. Ofcourse more storage space would have meant a larger for factor and noody want a huge portable media player. Since it' s flash based it maxes out at 16GB - OS + firmware so you' re not going to get an entire H.264 encoded series of 24 on there but you can easily fit a large music collection and 6 or 7 feature films on so it' s all good.

The video quality is great, better even than PSP' s - and there' s no ghosting like on some other media players. The image quality, contrast and brightness are all superior to PSP and the overall picture quality is comparable to retail UMD' s. Video is viewable as is or fullscreen - although if it' s widescreen formated video you' ll be missing sections fom the left and right.

The video controls are basic but functional. The tracking for both video and music works really well.

The photo album is self explanatory. Toch a photo to view it fullscreen and then pinch/open fingers to zoom in and out.

Settings menu.

I' d say that the maximum brightness is 30 - 40% brighter than the PSP and i definitely makes a difference. It can be tweaked to your liking and set to anywhere along the bar. For reference (and since the photos were taken with the flash on they might not be accurate representations) here are photo' s of the brightness set to low, medium and maximum.

Most of the non-music ad video apps are useless, but the world clock should come in handy for me. Not that my phone can' t do almost exactly the same thing but whatever.

Like with most iPods the rear is chrome. The iPhone isn' t though, it' s matte and to be honest i' m not sure which i' d prefer given the choice.

For size reference.

Oh, and the quick music menu can be accessed in when running any app, even Safari by simply double tapping the Home button allowing you to pause/play/skip track etc while you do whatever.

I didn' t take any pitures of the browser, Youtube or the iTunes Wi-Fi store because my wireless router is playing up. I' ll sort it out and then update later. Suffice to say that i found the Youtube app pretty useless and haven' t bought anything from the Wi-Fi store but found Touches Safari to be the best handheld portable browser i' ve used. Pages load faster than anything else i' ve used, text entry is a breeze as long as you don' t have really fat fingers and the touch controls are perfilk!

I can' t think of anything else to say and i need to go get another beer anyway. I' m ope to questions.

If i can be bothered i' ll film a quick video of the interface, although it' s nothing you can' t already find a shitload of online already.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 15 Oct 07 23:44:57 >

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 44