Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!!
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 34 of 34
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 02:02

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

Thats cool, but with Target and Blockbuster going to the Blue-Ray camp... I think I might as well head over there too... I wouldn' t be surprised if we hear that Wal-Mart goes Blue by spring or summer of 08'

Walmart already chose HD-DVD

And if it doesn' t succeed it' ll choose bluray. Walmart has chosen and dropped formats before.
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 06:48
My main problem with HD-DVD is that Blue-Ray has more exclusives like Spiderman 3, Pirates, yeah... Just the fact that Blue has a couple more big named titles that are exclusive to that format I think its going to win. Now, if HDVD could even the playing field, that would make the game more interesting.

But hey, I am on the only one that thinks Blue-Ray sounds cool?
emofag

RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 06:50
Bluray does sound better, and that can make it more more mainstream.

Two Syllables instead of five, " Eich Dee Dee Vee Dee" or " Blue Ray" , bluray rolls off the tongue better.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 07:38
Movies like Spiderman 3 and Pirates of the Carribean 3 would repel me more than attract me. But I guess it comes with the terrotory. Is BluRay using VC-1 encoding exclusively now? At first they were stuck on MPEG 2 which sucks hairy unwiped ass. I heard they had to re-issue The Fifth Element since the video quality was so extremely piss-poor while HD-DVD were kicking ass with VC-1 encoding only. MPEG2 should be illegal.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 07:45
I like cookies and pie...

öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 08:01
BluRay was poorly planned out. They have inherent technical advantages over HD-DVD. However, things like high costs, initial poor encoding formats along with no upgradable firmware for initial BluRay Players will leave a bad taste in the mouths of many.

All the initial BluRay players sold are garbage without upgradable firmware. Fortunatley the PS3 itself has upgradable firmware, so it' s not something that will burn us.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 08:42

BluRay was poorly planned out. They have inherent technical advantages over HD-DVD. However, things like high costs, initial poor encoding formats along with no upgradable firmware for initial BluRay Players will leave a bad taste in the mouths of many.

sounds like Sony lol, it will end up winning too. bad planning for the win?
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 08:56
Not only do I wish for Blue-Ray to be victorious, I also believe it will be. Since the 3 biggest blockbuster companies, that was the most profitable of the last fiscial year are baking Blue-Ray, then it seems 2 me, almost as if written in stone. Sony Pictures (The Da Vinci Code), Walt Disney Studios (Pirates of the Carribean) and 20th Centuary Fox I think where the 3 Big that was backing Blue-Ray with Exclusive films.

Comapnies such as Dell and HP also support Blue-Ray, and being the biggest manufacturesrs of computers, in the world, it can only count as a + for Blue-Ray

Blockbuster, whom are the biggest distrubutor of cinematic entertainment are also baking the format.

The PS3 doesn' t worsen the situation either, nor does the cool name.

------------------------

Things that speak against Blue-Ray' s victory are the extreme prices of the Blue-Ray. Both for the companies that manufacture theese things, but especially amongst consumers.

Also, MS is NOT, I repeat " NOT" supporting Blue-Ray, and threatened to make the format uncompatible with Vista, before being threatened by Dell and HP.

Sony' s record of past format wars suggest a sad future if following past trails.

Wall Mart, the biggest everyday grocery story is NOT supporting Blue-Ray.

The fact that HD-DVD used to have better Visual quality and perhaps still have (I Dunno) might' ve left a Bad taste in peoples mouths.

------------

Personally I want Blue-Ray to win, because then I already have a player, + I want to be able to store loads of Data on the Discs in the future, also I really like the way Blue-Ray sounds.

Edit:

Somebody rooting for HD-DVD will have post why HD-DVD might win, ' cause I haven' t the strenght. Long posts like this isn' t really my thing.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 4 Aug 07 0:57:47 >
QuezcatoL

RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 08:59
I dont care for which win,I have an 500 gb HDD and some nice torrent sites.

And in the next gen war im sure there will be plenty of other options then to choose blu-ray.

and DL HD movies in your Drive and letting your burn it to a disc will probably be the future anyway.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 09:02
The format war should be decided by whatever format sounds the best. This will save allot of time.

< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 4 Aug 07 1:02:40 >
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 09:09
Just read the Kotaku post of the same news, and HAHA, oh man. Not that I' m naive, but never did I think I would read the same story, with such different tones in the message.

XBox360Fanboy = In yo face Biatch!

Kotaku = Wathever, man... Let them have their moment... Ps3 rulez!

Wathever happenend impartial journalism?
QuezcatoL

RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 09:36
Kotaku is bias like hell,MS employs has been very nice towards them,even Bill Gates had a lunch with them and they acted rude and irratated.

They also said that if MGS4 comes to 360,they will only get the ps3 version anyway.

I dont understand why they have to make these comments...

emofag

RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 12:16

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

All the initial BluRay players sold are garbage without upgradable firmware. Fortunatley the PS3 itself has upgradable firmware, so it' s not something that will burn us.

That' s to be expected, how many DVD players from 10 years ago are any good today? None. Tons of them can' t even play newer DVDs.
< Message edited by emofag -- 4 Aug 07 4:17:24 >
emofag

RE: HD-DVD sales boosted with 1000%!!! - Aug 04, 2007 12:30

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL
and DL HD movies in your Drive and letting your burn it to a disc will probably be the future anyway.

That will be the future, maybe 10-20 years from now, but not anytime soon.

High Definition movies are huge, the average broadband speed would need to be 20-30 times faster than what it is now to make those movies download at an acceptable time frame, mainstream consumers wont ever accept having to wait 6 hours straight for a movie to be downloaded.

And considering my broadband internet now in 2007 is only marginally faster than my broadband in 1997, it will be a long time before broadband is fast enough for you to just casually download high definition movies in a few minutes.

And then there' s the associated costs, most people on broadband don' t even download 100mb a day, imagine if millions of people were downloading 100GB a day worth of movies. Most of the broadband ISPs would have to increase their service cost tenfold or go out of business.

So unless there' s some huge revolution in broadband downloading movies will never become the standard.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 34 of 34

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message