Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 49 of 49
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 02:26

ORIGINAL: Gaiden BLACK

Yeah sorry i meant demanding. If MGS4 is gonna have loads of 1080p CUT SCENES wouldn' t that mean larger disk space would be required.

Yes.

That' s why in Gears the cutscenes suck ass. They couldn' t pre-record and stream them so they have them running in-engine in realtime. As a result the framerate is seriously inconsistent.

The cutscenes in MGS4 are in-engine but they' ve been pre-recorded, tweaked and tucked up and still play smoothly. They' re just a movie file on the disc because they have the space with Blu-Ray.

The other advantage that will rear it' s head at some point is having more textures, potentially with some sort of advanced texture layering to produce very impressive looking environments. If you look at any game, you' ll be able to see the same textures repeated in different environments. With Blu-Ray you could have completely different textures for different environments and objects.

mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 02:31
I don' t believe it I wil have to see some type of release date for the 360 version or an official notice. Like Metal gear is coming to the 360 not some beat around the bush stuff.
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 03:09
Oh i see i get what your saying Nitro.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 04:19
I always thought Metal gear was ingame and didnt have movie files. I guess I was half right.

That' s why in Gears the cutscenes suck ass. They couldn' t pre-record and stream them so they have them running in-engine in realtime

I think its cool, and would list it as an advantage when consoles become powerful enough, seamless movie-gameplay. I really hate when its: gameplay - fadeout/jerk into cutscene and then throws you right back into gameplay jarred.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 11:14
Resident Evil 4 had the perfect cut scenes. Those were running on the ingame engine... right? RIGHT!? Don' t break my heart now guys!
IstillwantShenmue3

• Total Posts : 54
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 12:35
The cut scenes were like in the unbelievably awesome Vampire Rain on 360.
The guys responsible for mega mega did i say mega hits like Blinx 1 and 2.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 12:42
It' s not that they' re not " in-engine" it' s that they' re pre-recorded and not just streamed instruction sets carried out by the graphics card. In Gears they use the same models, environments, textures etc as they do during gameplay and during the cutscene the models follow an instruction set and the camera moves according to it' s own instruction set, ...but it' s all happening on the fly and being rendered at that very second.

In the Metal Gear games they' re using the same models (mostly) and environments but it' s a movie file. They recorded it in realtime, touched it up or whatever and stuck it on the disc. It was still rendered by the graphics card.

Same goes for RE4 i think.

They' re usually just Sofdec encoded MPEG4 files.

Hell, the Blink Video codec has been used in nearly 4000 games. For CG and realtime rendered but pre-recorded cutscenes.

The only difference is now that HDTV' s are popular and 360 uses DVD9, a medium which can' t store tons of HD cutscenes Epic (like Capcom with Dead Rising) had no choice but to do everything in true realtime as even heavily compressed video would take up too much space.

That' s why Blue Dragon spans multiple discs and goes against Microsoft' s single disc game " promise" .

It' s not a huge deal but it' s a genuine benefit of having Blu-Ray.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 18:23

In the Metal Gear games they' re using the same models (mostly) and environments but it' s a movie file.

Not in Twin Snakes and Sons of Liberty. In those videos you could zoom in and out and rotate the camera a little. As far as I remember.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: President of Konami hints on Multi plattform for Metal gear solid 4 - Aug 02, 2007 18:43

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Resident Evil 4 had the perfect cut scenes. Those were running on the ingame engine... right? RIGHT!? Don' t break my heart now guys!

Gamecube ones: Yes.
PS2 Version. Noes.

Or at least I think so because in the Gamecube version if you change clothes - that also shows in the cutscenes. On the PS2 version though Leon always wears the same outfit in cutscenes, no matter what you choose.
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message