CPU Constantly Running at 100%?!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
CPU Constantly Running at 100%?! - Jul 02, 2007 11:04
I just booted WinXP Black on to my secondary PC (the one I conveniently do all my papers on). I start everything up, & then I notice that everything is running incredibly slow. Thinking it' s just having a hard time starting up for the first time I let it idle for 15 minutes, go processes & see services.exe running at 98% to 100% all the time.

If I remember correctly services.exe starts stuff up & shuts stuff down, & considering it doesn' t really have time to start anything up, I' m assuming it' s not shutting stuff down.

Help anybody? I' m willing to reload the OS if it' s absolutely necessary, but It took almost 2 hours to install, so I' d much rather try one of you guys first.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: CPU Constantly Running at 100%?! - Jul 02, 2007 11:35
http://www.registry-cleaner.net/

I just got the full software for free, and it seems to work pretty well. I didn' t have any serious problems with my PC but after using it, I can see a clear speed boost. They' re doing some kind of promotion. Download it (small file), let it scan your computer. It will remove 10 bum items in your registry (which is nothing) and it will offer you to try this " TrialPlay" thing to get the software for free. Basically you have to complete an offer to get the software for free. One of the offers was to make an Ebay account (easy) and make a bid. That' s what I did and I bid on an item with a reserve price so i knew I wouldn' t win. That worked for me, and now I have the software for a year. It only took me a few hours, but I wasn' t on the computer the whole time. It was like 10 minutes of work. I don' t know if that would help completely but it will help greatly unless you have a serious problem.

Everything is pretty much self explanatory after you download the software.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: CPU Constantly Running at 100%?! - Jul 02, 2007 22:38
Thanks dude. I got the -ahem- " aftermarket" edition of that from one of my favorite sites, & it works alright. It went through the registry & did some super-groovy things, which was alright, but I ended up stopping it after I saw that there were 2 services.exe. I' m still wondering how the second got onto the PC, considering that box isn' t online!