Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Metroid Prime 3!!!!!!
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 82
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 05:04

Silky-smooth 60fps is more important than over-pushed texture details, the art and level designers do thier job properly to keep the game looking atmospheric.

Yes, because we require FPS that are much higher than the human eye can detect.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 05:45

Eh? you can' t see / feel the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Go play SEGA Rally 2 on Dreamcast, if u cant see what let the game down, sort out your eyes!!!

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 23 May 07 21:50:10 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 06:04

ORIGINAL: Dagashi

Silky-smooth 60fps is more important than over-pushed texture details, the art and level designers do thier job properly to keep the game looking atmospheric.

The human eye can detect well over anything TVs or monitors can put out.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 08:31

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Um.. 16:9 issue? I don' t get it?

When i first got my Wii with component. I simply turned on the machine, went to the options, switched it to 16:9, no problem or problems since.

It' s not a problem, just an inconvenience since Nintendo doesn' t demand that manufacturers make all of their games in 480p 16:9. What happens when you play Wario Ware? Does it fill your screen 100% left to right? Also, 16:9 video flags can work over RF and composite. Component not needed.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 09:43

September Battalion Wars 2 Nintendo
Aug. 20 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
September Brothers in Arms

There needs to be a bigger list?

The human eye begins to see stutterless motion at 24 FPS. There' s a huge difference when playing 30fps and 60. You don' t notice it at first, but it really makes a difference, especially online.
Joe Redifer

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 10:23

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

The human eye begins to see stutterless motion at 24 FPS.

Actually it' s around 18fps. But I can still detect stutters on 30fs no problem. I like 24fps and 30fps video better than 60fps video (video as in real video, not games, etc), but I like 60fps videogames more than 30fps games.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 10:26

Actually it' s around 18fps.

Really?

But I can still detect stutters on 30fs no problem.

That' s because you & me are whores for that kind of stuff.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 11:16
I' m definitely not saying its not good to have 60fps, but its definitely not needed to make a great game. Nor should it be used as a selling point to make up for sub par graphics.

Talking about games at 60fps being super important makes you sound as stupid as some of Ken Kutaragi' s comments, and nobody wants that.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 11:26
I remember reading somewhere that the human eye can discern up to about 80 or 90 fps in good lighting conditions (although there really isn' t a digital " framerate" or refresh rate for the eye as a whole, being an organic system, but this would be equivalent to 80-90 fps). Of course there are variations from person to person. For film and video, I kind of prefer the look of a slower frame rate as an aesthetic, stylistic touch, but I like my games very fast and silky smooth.
Joe Redifer

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 13:52

Really?

Yes. Old silent movies ran at 18fps. When they decided to add sound which used variable density optical track on the film, they had to speed it up to achieve acceptable quality. This is why when you look at silent movies they seem to be going really fast since they are being played on more modern projection/telecine equipment running at 24fps.

For film and video, I kind of prefer the look of a slower frame rate as an aesthetic, stylistic touch, but I like my games very fast and silky smooth

Yes, you just said what I was trying to say, only more gooder. :)

One thing that is interesting is the Jay Leno and/or Conan O' Brien clips that are downloadable for free on Xbox Live. Watch them in HD when they are broadcast, and then watch the XBL versions. The XBL clips run at 30fps instead of 60fps. Much jerkiness abounds, especially since the original shutter was set for 60fps so there is no motion blur for the 30fps versions.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 24 May 07 5:58:20 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 15:13
Zoy

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 15:30
Interesting links, Agent Ghost.

The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to " see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.

A couple of things to note about this. First, flashing an image in an otherwise completely dark and featureless field of view is going to be much more visible and identifiable than if the image of the aircraft was embedded among 219 other images within a single second. So I think it is not entirely accurate to say that this proves the ability to perceive 1 image with 1/220 of a second, as this is one highly controlled situation which doesn' t have many corollaries in day-to-day life.

Secondly, people like fighter pilots, and athletes like boxers for example, almost certainly have much better-than-average eyesight. There' s a legend that the heavyweight champ Joe Louis could read the label of a 78 RPM record as it was playing.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 24 May 07 7:32:42 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 24, 2007 18:33
I really, really prefer 60 FPS because I feel kinda sick when I watch 30 FPS. Like sea sickness or something. It' s not much but it' s not very fun to get that kinda feeling when you' re playing a game.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - May 25, 2007 07:49
We' ll all be playing in rock-solid 120 fps soon anyway.

NAME THAT QUOTE!!!
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - Aug 19, 2007 19:46
Nintendo Power gave Metroid Prime corruption a 10/10

Yeah I know it' s Nintendo Power but still. This is only the second time they have given a 10 to a game. The other one was RE4.

Twilight Princess didn' t get a 10 at all. Seems Retro really did a great job.
ginjirou

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - Aug 19, 2007 19:52
You fool. Of course they did a good job, it' s Retro Studios. They created Metroid Prime ffs. Anything below perfection is below their standards.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - Aug 19, 2007 20:04
Reggie promised us the game would be perfect...and well seems he' s kept his word.

And Ginjirou I didn' t expect anything less from Retro.

I really can' t wait to play this game. Once again it sucks to live in europe...have to wait till 26th of october to get this...guess I' m gonna give myself an early birthday gift then
ginjirou

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - Aug 19, 2007 21:32
Yes it sucks. I want the game NOW! But I will hopefully be able to finally buy a Wii for Metroid Prime 3 once it comes out, unless I visit IKEA again...
Zoy

RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - Aug 20, 2007 00:09
You two have the spikiest hair on the whole forum.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Metroid Prime 3!!!!!! - Aug 20, 2007 00:24
How can it get a 10, when its clearly not going to get a good score en graphics since its on the Wii

J/K

but metriod sucks!

yeah!
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 82

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages