Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 hd dvd question
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
hd dvd question - Dec 12, 2006 10:52
Just a simple question, with it still being up in the air as to whether blu-ray or hd-dvd will come out on top so to speak, would it then be smarter to buy a really good dvd with hd up converting or just wait until the hd dvd battle is over?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: hd dvd question - Dec 12, 2006 11:09
I wouldn' t get either yet. The price is still inflated for both, especially BR. The general consensus is that people are prefering HD DVD over BR as its much cheaper and people compare BR to Sonys other failed formats, mini disc, betamax and umds.

If you have money burning in your pockets I would recommend buying a two in one player (BR and HD DVD) which are not much more expensive then most BR players. However if you have a 360 you might want to look into the 360 add on for 200$ which also works as an external drive for your computer with a driver download. Or wait for a PS3 if you plan on getting it.

Right now HD DVD is winning but BR will get a boost as more PS3s are sold so its a tough call. Unfortunately I think this will be a long race. Hence why I don' t think you should spend too much money on one player unless it' s a two in one drive, but even then I would wait.

Personally I' ve been thinking of getting the HD DVD add-on for 360 in a few months myself when my money situation gets reversed. Which by the way costs 200$ in Canada (same price as it is in the States).
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 12 Dec 06 3:12:40 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: hd dvd question - Dec 12, 2006 14:40
HD upconverting is teh ghey.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: hd dvd question - Dec 13, 2006 19:52
agreed. teh ghey and teh nub
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: hd dvd question - Dec 15, 2006 07:41
Don' t listen to these guys canadagamer. I' d go with Agent Ghost' s recommendation, and get a 360 add-on.

If you have a decent hdtv, and don' t have a 360, then you should not call yourself " canadagamer" and should instead refer to yourself as " canadaperson" .
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: hd dvd question - Dec 15, 2006 09:39
HD-DVD doesn' t look promising since most companies are moving to blu-ray, latest one to be Disney...That only leaves like Universal and a few others
Agent Ghost

RE: hd dvd question - Dec 15, 2006 12:03
My prediction is that both are going to go strong* until they are forced to compromise and make a unified format or until another format rapes them both.

*using this word loosely
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 15 Dec 06 4:09:13 >
canadagamer

RE: hd dvd question - Dec 15, 2006 22:20
I have a 61 inch samsung dlp hdtv, and as for the battle between blu-ray and hd-dvd, if you really think about it wouldn' t the price point be the biggest reason why hd-dvd should come out on top? I mean, the average person doens' t care if they have to watch a movie on 2 discs and not just one. What will probably end up happening is blu-ray will end up being used more on the software side of things simply because of the amount of storage on a single disc.
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: hd dvd question - Dec 15, 2006 22:59
Most likely Blu-Ray will come out on top, but hopefully holographic discs research/design etc. will speed along as that would easily come out over both eg. 500 gig storage an with double the read/write rate
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: hd dvd question - Jan 10, 2007 21:03
I doubt HD vs Blue ray...sony is the only one pushing the Blue ray with the ps3, but not everyone going to enjoy it without proper tv' s. Also look at the psp for eg. so HD still #1
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: hd dvd question - Jan 10, 2007 22:51

My prediction is that both are going to go strong* until they are forced to compromise and make a unified format or until another format rapes them both.

*using this word loosely
What' s the bet that HD-DVD/Blu-Ray hybrids are going to become standard? It' d solve the format war & you' d only be shelling out an extra 200 for a dual player. Actually, according to best-buy/circuit-city most blu-ray players they have are more expensive than a blu-ray HD-DVD player they' ve both got. Makes sense doesn' t it?[:' (]
canadagamer

RE: hd dvd question - Jan 11, 2007 09:44
Well I guess LG has given me my answer finally.

Dual format hd dvd player coming out next month!!!!

Haven' t figured out where or how I' m going to get the money??
Agent Ghost

RE: hd dvd question - Jan 11, 2007 20:13
I read an article that places the value of a healthy human body at about 220 000$US if you sell all your usable parts individually. I read elswhere that you could get up to 2000$ for a Kidney, or about 4,500$ for a cornea in the black market. Now obviously you can' t sell all your parts, and you certainly wouldn' t want to sell a cornea but do you really need two kidneys? Hell if you play your cards right I bet you could get triple the market value and make 6000$.

I know if I had the choice between a bran new LG HD-DVD/BluRay player or my 2nd kidney, I' d pick high tech over a measly 20 years on my life. Who needs to live past 60 anyways? By that time your eyes will be so fucked by glaucoma that you wouldn' t be able to appreciate HD movies anyways.

So I say live now, live fast and live in HD. Sell a fucking kidney. I' m told that harvesting methods are more humane these days, they even use anesthetics. Or if you' re too sensitive to that shit you could always tattoo an ad on your forehead for 10 000$. http://www.stunning-stuff.com/read-weird-news-stories/128.aspx

If you' re feeling really brave, brave to the point of stupidity. You could get a job and save your money. I know, it' s crazy what some people do for money.

Just an thought...

< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 11 Jan 07 12:20:36 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: hd dvd question - Jan 12, 2007 07:07

HD-DVD doesn' t look promising since most companies are moving to blu-ray, latest one to be Disney...That only leaves like Universal and a few others

uhh, arent they making movies in both? even if this is so, most of the companies were making UMD' s but their not now so the same thing will probably happen to BR
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: hd dvd question - Jan 15, 2007 12:23

ORIGINAL: canadagamer

Well I guess LG has given me my answer finally.

Dual format hd dvd player coming out next month!!!!

Haven' t figured out where or how I' m going to get the money??

Uh oh!

Combo player may get the AXE!!
< Message edited by Chee Saw -- 15 Jan 07 4:23:36 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: hd dvd question - Jan 15, 2007 19:33

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

I read an article that places the value of a healthy human body at about 220 000$US if you sell all your usable parts individually. I read elswhere that you could get up to 2000$ for a Kidney, or about 4,500$ for a cornea in the black market. Now obviously you can' t sell all your parts, and you certainly wouldn' t want to sell a cornea but do you really need two kidneys? Hell if you play your cards right I bet you could get triple the market value and make 6000$.

I know if I had the choice between a bran new LG HD-DVD/BluRay player or my 2nd kidney, I' d pick high tech over a measly 20 years on my life. Who needs to live past 60 anyways? By that time your eyes will be so fucked by glaucoma that you wouldn' t be able to appreciate HD movies anyways.

So I say live now, live fast and live in HD. Sell a fucking kidney. I' m told that harvesting methods are more humane these days, they even use anesthetics. Or if you' re too sensitive to that shit you could always tattoo an ad on your forehead for 10 000$. http://www.stunning-stuff.com/read-weird-news-stories/128.aspx

If you' re feeling really brave, brave to the point of stupidity. You could get a job and save your money. I know, it' s crazy what some people do for money.

Just an thought...

lmao!

Yeah for now i' d say either a combi player or wait a while longer to see which format starts to take over.
canadagamer

RE: hd dvd question - Jan 16, 2007 09:09
Thanks for the info Chee Saw.

I hope that LG as they said, gets on the ball and adds HDi for christs sake!!! I was sooo happy when I read the first artilce as it gave me my answer.

Now, I am back in the dark!!!!!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message