Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 13, 2007 14:53
Do you think that the recent killing off of Captain America was completely empty or do you think that Marvel just to get a rise out of people and get more comics sold will stick to the Cap' s death?

When I heard about it, it didn' t hit me that hard because he is a fictitious character, but what he stood for...that hit pretty hard. I think comics have officially stepped over and out of the " childhood" persona.
< Message edited by Alecrein -- 13 Mar 07 6:54:07 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 13, 2007 16:03
He wore spandex. He was gay. It' s ok to kill spandex wearing homo-heros.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 13, 2007 18:28
What? He' s dead? Can they do that?
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 13, 2007 18:43
Yes they can, oh and by the way John Inman died at about the same time,(Played Mr Humphreys in " Are you being served" , catchphrase " I' m Free" .) Hmmm coinicidence, one was camp the other was a camp actor.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 13, 2007 19:56
You know, this is Marvel we' re talking about. They have made up quantum theories for imaginary dimensions to resurrect ' dead' characters. Compared to the mass killing in the original Secret Wars (yes, I have the original Secret Wars omnibus book) that killed off amongst other people, Captain America, Thor, Hulk etc. etc. This is small fry

Granted, I' ve been totally out of the latest Marvel works (although I occasionally follow the Ultimate universe). I haven' t read Civil War for example. And I know they' ve prolly stopped using very bad deux-ex machina to bring back dead characters.

But, if his death is going to have ANY significance; HE HAS TO STAY DEAD.

Captain America was a good man; as a character. But in the current climate...he' s really kinda hokey. Even...oh, pretentious?

As a hero, he had the best character though. I personally feel he represents heroism better than Superman.

So it' s still sad that Steve Rogers is gone. But I doubt they' re killing off Captain America =/ I just hope they' re not making another ' US Agent' (gawd that guy was so annoying [:' (])
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 13, 2007 23:31
I can' t imagine a more boring character than Captain America. He' s certainly the lamest Marvel Superhero. He' s a one dimensional and a completely static character. The only interesting thing he ever did was take part in the civil war, but everyone was part of it.

Killing him is the best thing that Marvel ever did. Marvel will see a rise in their comic sales simply because there' ll be less Captain America comics. The worst thing they will ever do is bring him back.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 13 Mar 07 17:51:29 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 00:49

ORIGINAL: Byakko
Compared to the mass killing in the original Secret Wars (yes, I have the original Secret Wars omnibus book) that killed off amongst other people, Captain America, Thor, Hulk etc. etc.

I have the actual original comics. I win.
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 01:36
Captain who???
Byakko

RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 01:44

I have the actual original comics. I win.

I have a mint X-Babies 1st issue...

OMG I said that outloud *hides face in hands*
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 04:24

I think comics have officially stepped over and out of the " childhood" persona.

This is true, but it' s no thanks to lame publishers like Marvel and DC. The ones making real comics for adults are publishers like Fantagraphics, Top Shelf and Drawn & Quarterly.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 05:27
How many of our favorite superheroes have died multiple times in their history? Don' t sweat it guys, he' ll be back.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 08:05

Yeah, Doomsday ^^^ killed Superman and yet they brought him back and made a shit movie. Same thing with Captain America, and the movie will suck just as badly too.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 09:09
Well they had to do something to get the comics selling again....worked for Superman.
Byakko

RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 14, 2007 18:28
Wasn' t that what the whole Civil War arc was about?

Granted, I think noone expected it would be Captain America they would kill off. I kept thinking something would happen to Iron Man...but I guess with his movie coming out they decided they needed him alive to (hopefully) get his comic bought from the (hopefully) successful movie.

And oh my gawd we cannot have a movie called ' Captain America' . Not now. Not ever. NO!

Unless it' s a parody of G.W Bush or something.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Your thoughts on the demise of a super hero. - Mar 15, 2007 10:42

And oh my gawd we cannot have a movie called ' Captain America' . Not now. Not ever. NO!

Unless it' s a parody of G.W Bush or something.

That should be something more along the lines of " Deputy Texas." And he should be played by a CGI Don Knotts.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll