Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Xbox live setup help
fish_wacker

• Total Posts : 142
Xbox live setup help - May 05, 2007 21:54
Is there anyway to conect to xboxb 360 live without a router --> Adaptor or just hardwiring your modem?
There probably isnt but niether of these options are that useful to me atm!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Xbox live setup help - May 06, 2007 03:36
Shammanasaywha???

Hardwiring your modem?

You' ve got 3 major options for your internet connection.

1)360 to DSL/Cable modem. I hear it' s possible with DSL, but it' s never worked for mine or anybody elses I' ve set up. I' ve never had a problem doing it with cable.

2)360 to router to modem. This is your ideal setup in my humble opinion. Secure, & won' t lag, your only constraint is ethernet cable. And even at that, at 20 dollars for a spool of 100ft at Radio-Shack, there' s not much to complain about there either (short of crimping & attatching your own plug-ends). Modem to " internet-in" port on your router, and 360 to the second port on your router, (assuming your PC is already plugged into port 1)

3) Wireless connection. If you' ve got one in your house & feel like spending $100 on a shoddy wireless antenna, then this solution is for you. Personally, I wouldn' t touch it.

Hopefully that helps a bit. You' ll have to elaborate & clarify more for some more help though.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Xbox live setup help - May 06, 2007 03:44
Or you could set up the connection to come from your PC, you just need to have two network adapters which are extremely cheap nowadays, last one I bought was $1.00 at fry' s.

That is the cheapest way to do it without inconvenience, plugging your modem straight into the 360 is a hassle as you would have to unplug it and hook it up to your PC every time you want to use it, and vice versa, with 2 Network Adapters you' ll have connection to PC & 360 at the same time.

Through router is the best way, but a decent router still costs like $50.00, while an extra network adapter + Ethernet cable will barely cost $5.00 total.
< Message edited by Evil man -- 5 May 07 19:50:47 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Xbox live setup help - May 06, 2007 05:09

Or you could set up the connection to come from your PC, you just need to have two network adapters which are extremely cheap nowadays, last one I bought was $1.00 at fry' s.

That' s how mine' s set up. But as my internet comes through a 3g datacard, every time I connect, the ip address changes, and I have to set up the network between my 360 and my PC again, as well as do that test connection thing on the 360 dashboard.

Happens pretty much every time, since I use my PC more than my 360.

Also means you have to have your PC on at the same time as your 360, which may not be ideal for some.
fish_wacker

RE: Xbox live setup help - May 06, 2007 23:01
Ok thanks i think i may have to invest in better broadband first though, this one disconects all the time!
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Xbox live setup help - May 09, 2007 07:45
What speed broadband do you have? I' ve got DSL & while terrible for web work, I' ve never had any problems with connection on Xbox live, even while using my PC.
fish_wacker

RE: Xbox live setup help - May 10, 2007 00:01
Its BT Voyager 105 - Speed = 1.1 Mb
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: Xbox live setup help - May 10, 2007 00:22
I don' t know what typical british speeds are, but for the United States that would be considered slow. A typical US connection is 3 Mb/s. But 1.1 Mb should be sufficient for gaming and most everything. You just won' t be able to download large files as quickly.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Xbox live setup help - May 10, 2007 09:49

Its BT Voyager 105 - Speed = 1.1 Mb

You won' t need to update.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages