Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 World at War reviews hit the web (sorta)
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 64
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
World at War reviews hit the web (sorta) - Nov 08, 2008 00:37
LINK

Rumored until I can find a scan of the review. Is this hopeful, or is he delusional?

Edit: Ameteur reviewer at the bottom of the page (not me).

<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Nov 11, 2008 00:34>
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 08, 2008 02:41
Eddie_the_Hated

LINK

Rumored until I can find a scan of the review. Is this hopeful, or is he delusional?

PSW is a joke if it does. The only reason Im still getting this is the Zombie mode and the co-op. It is not as good as 4, and its not up for debate.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 08, 2008 07:49
Yeah there's no way it's a 10, even if it was better than Cod4.  Cod4 already done it.  Rehashes don't deserve as much respect.
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 08, 2008 19:59
http://n4g.com/News-228320.aspx

Doesnt have to do with the review but Community Manager at IW has some choice words for Producer at Activision apparently...
<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Nov 08, 2008 20:00>
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 08, 2008 20:50
Huh... a "Community Manager" is ranting about a Senior Producer.  Who do you think is still gonna have their job at the end of this fight?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 08, 2008 23:15
Both of them.  In the videogame world producers are more like investors than owners, unless the producer is the developer.
immortaldanmx

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 09, 2008 06:19
Everyone at Fagtivision should be fired anyway. Trying to kill off fresh interesting IPs and whoring out CoD. Theyre the cancer that was killing EA just a year ago.

And actually, after the update to the WaW beta and the zombie video, I actually have a few respect points for Treyarch. Apparently its Activision trying to ruin the series. Luckily it seems Treyarch realized how important of a property they were working on and stepped up.
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Nov 09, 2008 06:21>
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 09, 2008 20:17
Is it just me, or did they fix the collision detection issues?

The game is still a 7/10 in regular gametypes, but hardcore is more than playable now. I still probably won't end up picking it up though, and if I do, it'll be to play the campaign.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Nov 09, 2008 20:26>
immortaldanmx

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 10, 2008 06:11
Eddie_the_Hated

Is it just me, or did they fix the collision detection issues?

The game is still a 7/10 in regular gametypes, but hardcore is more than playable now. I still probably won't end up picking it up though, and if I do, it'll be to play the campaign.

It still is an unplayable mess in anything but full green connection(all 4 bars), but with full connection after the update Ive felt like its improved too.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 11, 2008 00:15
Fine with me. I don't even play if I'm having connection issues. Lag pisses me off.

So, some nobody game website just upped their review, and according to them it's a 9 out of 10...  You'll have to read the review to understand my skepticism.

Call of Duty: World At War brings the fantastic Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare gameplay back to the Pacific theater during WWII. You’re used to playing in the modern battlefield, but now it’s time to go back to the trenches. Now get out there soldier, and make your country proud!
The first time I heard about Call of Duty: World at War, I was not really excited about it because I thought it was going to just be a clone of Modern Warfare. I spent a lot of time playing through the campaign mode, and the more I played, the more I was astounded with the gameplay. Yes, it is indeed a clone of Call of Duty 4, but what makes the Call of Duty series great is the captivating stories that you’ll be able to play through and experience for yourself.

Going back to the World War II era, players will be taken through the lives of the characters during the war. It will start you off in Japan, where you will have to escape from the beach. From there, you will be taken through the emotional World War II, where you will grow to appreciate the people who are at war right now.
The campaign mode of World At War contains 13 levels that can basically take you around 13 hours of playtime to complete, if you are playing on the Veteran difficulty mode. If you are new to the series, which I highly doubt you are, there are much easier difficulty modes that players can take part in.
When you start the campaign mode, you will see the briefing screen, which is similar to that in Modern Warfare, and from there, you will be briefed on the mission you are about to partake in. Loading time varies when starting missions, but with the XBOX 360 version I played, installing the game to the hard drive via the New XBOX Experience Dashboard will make it run smoothly and have less load times. Similar to the past Call of Duty titles, you have a mission and failure is not an option!

I find it weird using old guns again, as World At War goes back to the WWII era and contains the same weapons you used in Call of Duty 3. In addition, you can now use mortar strikes, call an air strike, use the attack dogs, throw a Molotov cocktail and a lot of other interesting attacks. I believe Treyarch added this stuff to make it a better version and thusly, it shouldn’t be compared to their previous work.
Upon completion of the campaign mode, ready yourself to kill zombies, as a new mode will open up allowing you to kill zombies instead of soldiers. This mode will really add to the replayability of the game, as you can team up with up to four people on- or offline. If you love Resident Evil, then you will certainly enjoy this mode, as the Nazi zombies are going to scare the hell out of you! Personally, I find this game mode very entertaining!
One of the additions in Call of Duty: World At War is the ability to play the campaign mode cooperatively online! When in the game lobby, you can choose what level you want to play and up to four people can be invited. With the ability to play all thirteen levels cooperatively online, there is no doubt that anyone can beat the game on Veteran difficulty. Also, there are certain achievements or trophies that can only be unlocked while playing on co-op mode, so if you are an achievement/trophy whore, you’ll definitely want to spend some time with the co-op mode.
During the campaign mode, there will be a variety of parts that will test your lightning-fast reaction skills. For instance, if there is a dog attacking you, you might want to get the right stick ready to kill the dog, so you’ll have to stay on your toes and always be prepared for a pesky dog.
Now, let’s talk about the mulitplayer mode. What makes Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare the best game ever released is the online portion of the game. With Call of Duty: World At War, you should expect the same treatment that you got from Modern Warfare, except with new maps, perks, and the old weapons used from past COD WWII games. The perks will be there, but they will be different. Perks such as Stopping Power and Juggernaut are the ones you’ve come to expect, but there are a variety of new ones, including special ones that pertain to vehicles. Overall, the Perks are basically the abilities that will help aid you online, and can be customized to compliment your strengths and play-style.
Up to 16 players can play and the different modes in the game can be unlocked as you rank up. The ranking system in World at War is very similar to that in Modern Warfare, except that the maximum level you can achieve is 65. Depending on the mode you play, you will be given a certain number of experience points for each action you perform, such as killing an enemy or capturing an area. One thing I noticed while playing online is that you get 8 points if someone assisted you in killing the enemy instead of 10 for killing an enemy by yourself.

One of the benefits of having a killing streak in the game is the ability to call an airstrike and so forth, like in Call of Duty 4. In World At War, they altered some of the rewards making it interesting and enjoyable! Attack dogs, Air Strikes, and Recon Planes can now be used if a certain kill streak is reached. I enjoy having the dogs kill my enemies!
Call of Duty: World at War’s graphics are based on the same engine that Infinity Ward used for Modern Warfare. The crisp environments in the game help to give the overall feel of realism in the game. From the Jungle to the Nazi’s fort, World At War is one of the World War II games that should be praised and appreciated. It shouldn’t be compared to Modern Warfare though, because it takes place during a different era!
What makes the Call of Duty stories so captivating are the voice-overs. With the help of the awesome voice actors that worked on the game, it gives the player the feeling of actually being there on the front lines. Emotions can run through you if you stay focused in the game, and with popular stars like Kiefer Sutherland, from the TV action series “24”, you can really get drawn into the game and atmosphere.
Overall, Call of Duty: World At War is one of the best World War II first person shooters. Taking every good thing from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Treyarch did its job correctly in defining World At War to be the best online and offline game this year. With an addicting multiplayer mode and emotional storyline, what else can you ask for? For the price of $59.99, you are getting a bang for your buck, as the game will keep you busy until the next Call of Duty game is released!

...any site that ends their review, rationalizing a purchase with the game's price point doesn't sit well with me.

Why is it that I can't get a good impression of the campaign before launch here! Isn't piracy supposed to be rampant in the console industry?! What gives!

Edit: Heh, I want to meet the poor fuck who repackages his M-rated game, and takes it back to the store after reading disclaimers like this

Call of Duty: World at War contains graphic content and historical footage which some players may find disturbing. Player discretion is advised.

<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Nov 11, 2008 00:20>
immortaldanmx

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 11, 2008 11:37
But its not me having connection issues. Even when selecting "Locale Only" the damn thing would throw me in a west coast hosted game.

Ive ordered the game, but could give 2 shits less about getting it, as I have Gears 2 now, so I used the free shipping on Amazon so I could still get the collectors.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 11, 2008 16:27
I'm dropping by blockbuster today. If they have their act together, I'll be walking home with a copy tonight.

Campaign writeup when I feel like it.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 11, 2008 23:22
So, yeah, I lied.

Blockbuster won't be stocking World at War, and I sure as hell ain't buying, so I suppose I'll just do a L4D writeup tonight or tomorrow instead.
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 12, 2008 08:14
World at War is nothing more then CoD 4 in WWII clothing. Its like a decent mix of Cod 2 and 4 actually. Well I use the word "decent" loosely here. Nothing pushes it up and above other games. Its not bad...but its far from the 9 avg its been getting.
Honestly why pay $60 for a mod? $40 would seem reasonable. I'm so annoyed my friends are eating this shit up. Just because it says Call of Duty on the cover don't mean it is dammit...

About the so far pretty lame single player ( havent played it in co-op yet) I dunno if the story is on loop or what but it seems at the start of each main campaigne you are on you're ass bout to die or just getting the shit kicked out of you. Also they reuse the same shit over and over and it seems like some set peices were just copy paste, not just from previous missions but previous games. So far there is very little in the way of freedom. Its a pretty cut and dry course. I tried exploring but most things are cut off so after a while I just gave up and stuck to the path.
<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Nov 12, 2008 08:18>
immortaldanmx

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 12, 2008 09:45
Johnny Jiron

World at War is nothing more then CoD 4 in WWII clothing. Its like a decent mix of Cod 2 and 4 actually. Well I use the word "decent" loosely here. Nothing pushes it up and above other games. Its not bad...but its far from the 9 avg its been getting.
Honestly why pay $60 for a mod? $40 would seem reasonable. I'm so annoyed my friends are eating this shit up. Just because it says Call of Duty on the cover don't mean it is dammit...

About the so far pretty lame single player ( havent played it in co-op yet) I dunno if the story is on loop or what but it seems at the start of each main campaigne you are on you're ass bout to die or just getting the shit kicked out of you. Also they reuse the same shit over and over and it seems like some set peices were just copy paste, not just from previous missions but previous games. So far there is very little in the way of freedom. Its a pretty cut and dry course. I tried exploring but most things are cut off so after a while I just gave up and stuck to the path.

The single player has so many crazy scenarios, how could you not like it? The game of sniper cat and mouse was epic on Veteran.

That being said, the MP shits all over Gears 2's MP. I seriously find it hard to give a shit about Gears. The campaign was decent, Horde is amazing, but the actual MP is such shit. Basically the only tactic that works is rush the power weapons with your whole team, spraying lancers, and hope that the other team has less people. And dont get me started on the garbage spawns for the Wingman game type.
BUTTFREAK

• Total Posts : 85
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 13, 2008 15:36
World at war will be so frickin awesome! I love CoD! It's what I usually play on my 360. T he other games are sorta crap compareed to COD4. Can't wait for Cod5 World at War!
immortaldanmx

Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 13, 2008 15:46
BUTTFREAK

World at war will be so frickin awesome! I love CoD! It's what I usually play on my 360. T he other games are sorta crap compareed to COD4. Can't wait for Cod5 World at War!

Seriously, dont come back to kikizo. You sound like 1 of the retards who write GameStop customer reviews. And if youre trolling you fail at it. So leave before I sodomize your mother while the rest of the forum forces your father to watch.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 13, 2008 16:09
BUTTFREAK

Yeah, ...if you were born in 1980 i'm fucking Gandhi.
BUTTFREAK

• Total Posts : 85
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 13, 2008 20:03
immortaldanmx

BUTTFREAK

Seriously, dont come back to kikizo. You sound like 1 of the retards who write GameStop customer reviews. And if youre trolling you fail at it. So leave before I sodomize your mother while the rest of the forum forces your father to watch.

Well stop looking for your dog, I know u think it ran away but its in your moms BUTT.

LOL Nitro! Yeah, of course I am only 16. Sorry for confusion I just clicked 1980 LOLO.

mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:[Rumor]PSW: Call of Duty: World at War 10/10 - Nov 13, 2008 22:55

LOL Nitro! Yeah, of course I am only 16. Sorry for confusion I just clicked 1980 LOLO.
16? Sorry, that is incorrect, would you like to try again?
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 64

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message